"Please be good"

General Discussion
I would take it as an invitation to be myself, who is probably not very good.
I generally just skip groups that say things like "BIG DPS ONLY" or "don't be bad" or "no failhards"

I've pugged enough to be able to tell the difference in vibe between various groups that form. There are signs and trends.
11/08/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Snowfox
I generally just skip groups that say things like "BIG DPS ONLY" or "don't be bad" or "no failhards"

I've pugged enough to be able to tell the difference in vibe between various groups that form. There are signs and trends.
same.

My favorite are the groups that put some humor into their tag line.
11/08/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Humanìty
When people see this in LFG does anyone actually think to them selfs "awe man Im not good, well !@#$ I wont Q"

I have similar thoughts on my server all the time. People recruit for guilds and will say “18+ only.” I ask them how they make recruits prove that but always get ignored.
Didn't you know?

All great War Speeches throughout history started with "Please be good."
11/08/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Snowfox

Same. These are the kinds of things that are said by players who THINK they're good, but often aren't. Auto skip for me.
"Please be good" usually translate into "not going to tell you how to play this dungeon".

It's a bit crude but it makes it clear.
11/08/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Tovi
I have similar thoughts on my server all the time. People recruit for guilds and will say “18+ only.” I ask them how they make recruits prove that but always get ignored.
My guild is +18 only, and you have to have an audio interview with the officers to join. It's because we're pretty raunchy and R-rated, and the crew doesn't really want to tone it down to protect some minors, ha!
I suck so bad I am tempted to try to join as a tank with my moonkin that will really piss them off

vote kick

I laugh last but best
When i create group to do mythic+ i put "Please be good", but also i check raider.io and ilevel.
11/08/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Wrynli
My guild is +18 only, and you have to have an audio interview with the officers to join. It's because we're pretty raunchy and R-rated, and the crew doesn't really want to tone it down to protect some minors, ha!

Ok the voice test only works for 12(ish) and under. So again, how do you know no one in your guild is a minor?

How does audio prove someone's age though?

I can appreciate not wanting minors around and there possibly being drama with language or media, I'm just curious as to how that works.
11/08/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Humanìty
When people see this in LFG does anyone actually think to them selfs "awe man Im not good, well !@#$ I wont Q"

Generally, I am guessing people don't enlist for those groups because the leaders are entitled, dbags who overrate their own skill and rage at the drop of a pin.
11/08/2018 01:15 PMPosted by Kirela
How does audio prove someone's age though?

I can assure you with 100% accuracy that if I'm talking to someone in a casual setting I'll be able to clock if they're <18 (or at least so immature they sound like it).

It's not that hard and seeing people wonder how this works makes me think they are in their very low 20s, haha.
People are the worst judges of their own mastery. The less someone understands a subject, the more likely they overjudge their own competence, while the more expert they are, the more they realize how much more there is to be mastered.

A request that players "be good" is a group leader that fails to recognize this basic truth.
11/08/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Tovi
...My guild is +18 only, and you have to have an audio interview with the officers to join. It's because we're pretty raunchy and R-rated, and the crew doesn't really want to tone it down to protect some minors, ha!

Ok the voice test only works for 12(ish) and under. So again, how do you know no one in your guild is a minor?
It's not rocket science, honestly. Once you start shooting the sh*t with people (as my GM says), asking about their raiding experience, what they do for a living, what their evening schedule looks like, how well they fit in with their last raiding guild . . . it's pretty obvious. Especially when someone isn't getting our old-people jokes.

The youngest player in my guild just turned 21. He celebrated by getting drunk on a farm night.
I'm not good, therefore I avoid those groups. :D
I like to get on my rogue, join the group and stealth, agro room-pop stealth-run-watch wipe and giggle my @55 off.
11/08/2018 01:18 PMPosted by Wrynli
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It's not rocket science, honestly. Once you start shooting the sh*t with people (as my GM says), asking about their raiding experience, what they do for a living, what their evening schedule looks like, how well they fit in with their last raiding guild . . . it's pretty obvious. Especially when someone isn't getting our old-people jokes.

The youngest player in my guild just turned 21. He celebrated by getting drunk on a farm night.

None of that points to an age. Anyone from 16 to 50 could work in fast food, go to school or live with their parents.

An 18-year will be just as clueless about a “Time to make the doughnut” joke as a 12-year old would.

So again, how do you know?

p.s. My kid just turned 18 recently. She’s been playing since she was 12. I know she’s been in those “18+ only” guilds. That requirement is stupid unless you’re going to make your recruits do an in person interview.