When is Velen retiring?

Story Forum
The Prophet has earned his rest after so long fleeing and fighting the Legion.

Also, he sort of just stands there in Battle for Azeroth. Maybe he's daydreaming of retirement?

In any case, it seems he's ready to hand the mantle of responsibility to the next generation. I'd be okay with him stepping down and allowing for a more active and involved leader that wants to be a part of Azeroth instead of just an observer.

Would have loved Yrel to succeed him but, well, y'know.
I gotta be honest, I'm trying to conjure up a MU named Draenei character other than Velen in my head but nobody's popping up. Mishka?

I don't know who could possibly succeed him who wouldn't feel like a confusing !@#-pull for the average player. Sadly, MU non-human races suffer greatly from a lack of named, significant characters.
Fareeya was supposed to be our MU counterpart of Yrel (they're both even voiced by Erin Fitzgerald), but apparently Blizzard thought that would be too interesting. Yrel was also talking about coming back to Azeroth with Maraad (originally her lover) in WoD's alpha, but again, faaaar too interesting.
I can only think of Maraad, and he's dead.
Too be honest Velen after a 1000 years is truly at peace. He led his people away from Argus; like many he lost his wife and his son was warped. Planet to Planet until Draenor. Survived the attempt of genocide on his people. Survived Draenor being turned into Outland. Escaped Outland and came to Azeroth. Found allies and a renewed strength. Trained Anduin in the way of the light. Forgave Kil'jaden and returned home to Argus to face his fear.

At long last Velen can breath easy the Legion is no more. In fact pretty sure he plans on rebuilding his once great civilization like the one on Draenor and Argus. He is far from retiring. The great burden his carried for so many years is now gone.
He's effectively immortal so there's no danger of age catching up to him. And he doesn't strike me as someone who would even consider stepping down, not until he was 100% certain that his people no longer needed him.
Would have loved Yrel to succeed him but, well, y'know.
Heeeellllll no! The LAST character that should ever lead the Draenei is Yrel. If anything they just form an exarch council like they did on Draenor or a new triumverate. But definitely not some mary sue like Yrel.

And why would Velen retire? He’s millions of years old, a certified badass, and he JUST got the long awaited conclusion to his main story arc.

Yet there is so much left to his story than you think.(besides having plot armor from the Anduin comic) Like @Zulgen said, it’s time for the Draenei to finally start rebuilding a permanent civilization on Azeroth instead of just living in a crashed satelite.

There’s also still his companionship with Anduin as his teacher in the light. I’ve always been fond of their relationship simply because it sounds so awesome if that were to happen in real life having an omnipotent, immortal, alien as one of your closest friends. They both have a very similar outlook on life as they both have always tried looking for the most peaceful solutions in tough situations and will always look for the good in people.

I just love them, and i know @Lena literally hates this relationship, but i just adore the Jedi master/apprentice relationship. Like, Velen is the Qui-gon Jin to Anduins’ Obi-wan Kenobi, there’s just always more to learn for both the master and apprentice.
11/11/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Vozul
I gotta be honest, I'm trying to conjure up a MU named Draenei character other than Velen in my head but nobody's popping up. Mishka?

I don't know who could possibly succeed him who wouldn't feel like a confusing !@#-pull for the average player. Sadly, MU non-human races suffer greatly from a lack of named, significant characters.
If Nobundo succeeded him, it could be a chance for development due to the lingering bigotry some draenei express toward the Broken. Beyond him it's basically just Romuul, and only barely, and maybe the Triumvirate of the Hand. Boros at least has been active recently, with Aesom and Kuros at least being present in Legion.
His wife is still not found lol, he is still searching
11/11/2018 04:40 PMPosted by Chåoslord
His wife is still not found lol, he is still searching
She ded.
11/11/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Zulgen
At long last Velen can breath easy the Legion is no more. In fact pretty sure he plans on rebuilding his once great civilization like the one on Draenor and Argus. He is far from retiring. The great burden his carried for so many years is now gone.

This is what I imagine. He's currently taking a breather, but with the Legion finally defeated he and the draenei can truly focus on rebuilding their civilization.
I'd prefer to see Velen as a leader who is only dealing with the problems of his own country. Foreign affairs, war, not his problem anymore. He leaves that to Fareeya and the rest. Let him be happy with Draenei internal affairs and priest duties.
I'm not sure if being a prophet is something you can retire from.
Feels like Velen far too passive and far too permissive with Anduin.

Blademaster Telaamon sacrifices himself because he doesn't want a repeat of Argus. Maraad devoted and sacrificed himself to the AU campaign for the same reason.

It seems like Velen's kinda just taking a breather after the twenty five thousand years he's had the Legion on his back, but who's managing the day-to-day of the Draenei while he winds down in Stormwind?

Or am I overthinking this and it's just a case of Blizzard deliberately neglecting the Draenei for narrative purposes?
Yeah, I'm with the whole 'Velen ain't goin no where' crowd.

However, if I had to choose one (or make a list) it would probably be in order:

• Boros, and likely the rest of the Triumvirate of the Hand (Kuros and Aesom)
  • Ishanah - High Priestess of the Aldor
  • Farseer Nobundo
  • Grand Anchorite Almonen
  • Akama
  • 11/11/2018 03:51 PMPosted by Pyrogar
    But definitely not some mary sue like Yrel.

yrel is no longer a mary sue.

she will lead us to victory.

DEUS VULT!
    11/12/2018 07:34 AMPosted by Abrahof
    Akama
    With Kayn seemingly being the canon choice for demon hunters, I assume Akama is disqualified.
    After fleeing from the Legion for so long this probably is retirement for Velen. "Factional squabbling? Let me tell you boys and girls what real conflict is!"
    Someone in another thread nailed it by pointing out that after AU draenei story + Argus there won't likely be any draenei story development for a while.
    Sad but most likely true.

Those guys at Forest Song gonna be hammering away for a long time.
    11/11/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Zulgen
    Too be honest Velen after a 1000 years is truly at peace. He led his people away from Argus; like many he lost his wife and his son was warped. Planet to Planet until Draenor. Survived the attempt of genocide on his people. Survived Draenor being turned into Outland. Escaped Outland and came to Azeroth. Found allies and a renewed strength. Trained Anduin in the way of the light. Forgave Kil'jaden and returned home to Argus to face his fear.

TURN. AZUREMIST. INTO. A. METROPOLIS. NOT. A BUNCH. OF CRASHED. ESCAPE PODS!!!!!!!!!!