Too easy to predict winners on gear

Battlegrounds
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
11/13/2018 11:57 PMPosted by Jugajr
11/13/2018 11:52 PMPosted by Utterly
I think it does when ilvls have meaningful difference between them

The lower ilvl you are, the higher damage you do to someone higher ilvl. This is how low geared players are able to keep up on the scoreboard.

This is what I think: Low-ilvl toons do higher damage only because of high-ilvls respectively much higher HP. High-ilvl toons do less damage to low-ilvls again because of the HP difference. But that doesn't mean a very high-ilvl with the right set-up can't essentially blow up a low-ilvl, even at 120. Saw it in AV myself with a 380 rogue ambushing very low HP people running across FoS.

[edit] 380* not 280. lol
11/14/2018 12:12 AMPosted by Utterly
with the right set-up

Sure, but come on... how many 380 ilvl players do we really see in a random BG? I can tell you raids take up WAY too much of players times to actually be in random BGs en masee
11/14/2018 12:17 AMPosted by Jugajr
11/14/2018 12:12 AMPosted by Utterly
with the right set-up

Sure, but come on... how many 380 ilvl players do we really see in a random BG? I can tell you raids take up WAY too much of players times to actually be in random BGs en masee

Yes, I'll grant you that rarely you see 380s, but 370s isn't that far off, and there are a lot of them. Say you put a 370 vs. a 300-or-below of the same spec - it really should not be much of a contest unless the 370 is playing very poorly...

That said, at this point in time the gear thing isn't bothering me too much. Mainly because I still have something shiny to work toward thanks to Conquest.
11/14/2018 12:24 AMPosted by Utterly

Yes, I'll grant you that rarely you see 380s, but 370s isn't that far off, and there are a lot of them. Say you put a 370 vs. a 300-or-below of the same spec - it really should not be much of a contest unless the 370 is playing very poorly...

That said, at this point in time the gear thing isn't bothering me too much. Mainly because I still have something shiny to work toward thanks to Conquest.

I think people underestimate the effect scaling has in pvp this expansion, specifically in BGs, as we are posting in a thread labeled "too easy to predict winners on gear."
11/11/2018 08:34 PMPosted by Silverbolt
Gear doesn't matter. Low HP gives illusion of weakness, but in actuality those players will do just as much damage.

11/11/2018 08:01 PMPosted by Magnificent
11/11/2018 07:06 PMPosted by Kugsneak
Tons of under 100k players on one team almost guarantees a win on the other side

gearing to a minimum level (like the old honor gear) takes WAY too long nowadays

Na, gear plays less of a role than you think. Azerite traits do, but ilvl doesn't matter so much.

wrong. Gear is everything. There is nothing else. Azerite gear, other gear, it matters. Advantage is advantage. If you disagree with this it means you have high ilvl and no empathy
Gear is everything in the BFA BG setup. I have to say I get a little frustrated that a raider can spend 30 minutes a day in a BG and dominate simply because of their gear when you have hard core players who love pvp that play 4 hours plus a day and are not rewarded for the time they spend in BG's. I just don't get (and never will get) why raiders get everything on a platter like "raiding" is the crowning feature of WOW.
11/14/2018 03:04 AMPosted by Headlice
Gear is everything in the BFA BG setup. I have to say I get a little frustrated that a raider can spend 30 minutes a day in a BG and dominate simply because of their gear when you have hard core players who love pvp that play 4 hours plus a day and are not rewarded for the time they spend in BG's. I just don't get (and never will get) why raiders get everything on a platter like "raiding" is the crowning feature of WOW.

Wow is a pve game and you are just playing the low end of the mini game.
11/14/2018 03:12 AMPosted by Neltherial
Wow is a pve game and you are just playing the low end of the mini game.

I do kinda wish they would seperate the 2... I would not miss the pve game at all

I only do it because to keep up with the Jones's in ilevel... its the easiest way to get gear up...mind numbling easy or straight up boring
11/14/2018 02:30 AMPosted by Zharja
11/11/2018 08:34 PMPosted by Silverbolt
Gear doesn't matter. Low HP gives illusion of weakness, but in actuality those players will do just as much damage.

11/11/2018 08:01 PMPosted by Magnificent

Na, gear plays less of a role than you think. Azerite traits do, but ilvl doesn't matter so much.

wrong. Gear is everything. There is nothing else. Azerite gear, other gear, it matters. Advantage is advantage. If you disagree with this it means you have high ilvl and no empathy

I hope you are taking the piss!
I can tell you raids take up WAY too much of players times to actually be in random BGs en masee

Raiding doesn't really take much time. I raid like 5 hours or less per week. One mythic 10 dungeon generally takes around 30-60min depending on the quality of the group, affixes, and dungeon.

You're usually not going to see many mythic raiders in bgs just because it doesn't really offer anything useful, you're more likely to see them in rated.
11/14/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Grombo
Raiding doesn't really take much time.

For some. I suppose it depends on the group. And I'd imagine free time is used by doing world quests and such for AP?
11/14/2018 03:04 AMPosted by Headlice

If you're spending 4 hours a day doing pvp and not getting rewarded, then you're not doing rated pvp which is the equivalent to raiding. You can't do just LFR and be rewarded top gear. Ftr, people also say that just by being Horde, you dominate... people say a lot of things lol
11/13/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Zetth
11/13/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Rîv
Gear matters alot in pvp anyone who tells you different is full of it.Try killing a geared pvper with !@#$ gear.

If gear matters SOOO MUCH why don't you got ANY arena achivs should be easy.
I can bet you a under geard 1850+xp player would beat you 1v1. Id put money on it and ill pick a random person.

<-- Arena forums that way.
But isn't this what the forums wanted lol for gear to matter a bit more? Be careful what you wish for.
11/14/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Girlbye
But isn't this what the forums wanted lol for gear to matter a bit more? Be careful what you wish for.

For real. Luckily gear doesn't really matter still. Just another excuse on top of another excuse.
11/14/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Yarrow
11/13/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Zetth
If gear matters SOOO MUCH why don't you got ANY arena achivs should be easy.
I can bet you a under geard 1850+xp player would beat you 1v1. Id put money on it and ill pick a random person.

Then take the skill talk with it on the Arena forums.
IDK how people can say gear>skill. it can make a difference between 2 good players but if you have 1 retard geard vs 1 good player not who would win? All the people saying gear is everything are people that put all there time into getting gear and want it to mean they know what there doing, well you don't ya sound dumb. People that claim gear matters don't do pve that's why it does. Go duel good exp players and arenas and tell me what you think.
I know geared players who don't know how to interrupt. Gaining 20 ilvls won't help them.
11/14/2018 11:30 AMPosted by Zetth
11/14/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Yarrow

Then take the skill talk with it on the Arena forums.

Arena skill is not the same as battleground or world PVP skill. In fact, the whole reason why scaling got nerfed so that higher geared and leveled players had more of an advantage was because a top ranked arena player and streamer got ganked by someone 4 levels lower because his arena reflexes were counterproductive in world PVP. Specifically, he ice blocked just in time to let the druid ganker self heal from 20-100, while of course his arena teammates were not there to heal him.
11/14/2018 11:35 AMPosted by Jugajr
I know geared players who don't know how to interrupt. Gaining 20 ilvls won't help them.

Their 100 ilvls does, though, especially if they're playing a class with long interrupt cooldowns.