Please keep thread pages

General Discussion
Threads now infinitely scroll as the “pages” system has been removed.

Some threads are extremely long and we just want to read the first page and then skip to the last page to view the most recent posts about the topic, without having to scroll all the way down. Pages help keep this organized.
This is a long thread in the OW forums.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/why-is-it-so-hard-for-mercy-players-to-accept-this/247430/233

This is how it's going to work.

That bar helps a lot, IMO is not such a bad system and actually will be better once we get used to it.
11/11/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Averyx

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/why-is-it-so-hard-for-mercy-players-to-accept-this/247430/233

That bar helps a lot, IMO is not such a bad system and actually will be better once we get used to it.

That is such garbage. The scroll bar always showed a finite proportional control. I clicked on the linked thread, and I wanted to go to the top to see the 1st post. So I drag the scroll bar handle to the top, right? Because that's how scrollbars work. Nope. When I release now the handle moves down and gets smaller because now we have more crap at the top. No way to know how much because the handle is not proportional to the content.

This is a horrible implementation. When shopping web sites use that paradigm I don't use them.

Blizzard not only doesn't understand that it's ok for a game to end (it's ok to have BIS rather than infinite artifact powre) they don't understand some basics of UI design. If I don't know how much there is left to do/read, I have no reason to keep going.

What's funny is they chose to make the scrollbar not work like it should, then added a little scrollbar that does work like it should but you have to click a box at the bottom to get it up. SO BAD. SO FAIL.

Why not leave the scroll bar alone to work like it should, and then add your tiny little bar as a jog control?
pages make things so much easier to find :(

Why blizzard, the WoW forms are fine just the way they are
11/11/2018 11:43 PMPosted by Angrylock
What's funny is they chose to make the scrollbar not work like it should, then added a little scrollbar that does work like it should but you have to click a box at the bottom to get it up. SO BAD. SO FAIL.

I didn't have to click a box at the bottom to get the small bar, so I wasn't sure what you meant by the scrollbar getting smaller because I thought you were using their little functioning one the whole time. Then I tried to use the actual scrollbar... yikes. Yeah. I see what you mean. That's damn awful.
Let me introduce you to 2 of my friends.

The "HOME" key and the "END" key on your keyboard. I know. They are in that weird spot in no man's land. Between the letters you like using and the numkey pad you probably never use outside of typing in a number only PW.

But those 2 keys will skip you immediately to the first post or last post in that forum set up. Don't have to scroll manually, use the scroll bar, etc.
Oh jeez, they're doing that to the forums?
Not a fan of how that functions.

That is such garbage. The scroll bar always showed a finite proportional control. I clicked on the linked thread, and I wanted to go to the top to see the 1st post. So I drag the scroll bar handle to the top, right? Because that's how scrollbars work. Nope. When I release now the handle moves down and gets smaller because now we have more crap at the top. No way to know how much because the handle is not proportional to the content.

This is a horrible implementation. When shopping web sites use that paradigm I don't use them.

Blizzard not only doesn't understand that it's ok for a game to end (it's ok to have BIS rather than infinite artifact powre) they don't understand some basics of UI design. If I don't know how much there is left to do/read, I have no reason to keep going.

Why not leave the scroll bar alone to work like it should, and then add your tiny little bar as a jog control?

Hey, dumbass, take a look at the link without just tunnel visioning on the thing you want to hate.

Look at the mini scrollbar and post counter thing to the right of the content (left of the default browser scrollbar). THAT is the bar you want to move. It doesn't have the issues you're whining about.

Ultimately this is exactly why this is not a problem -- you can use that scrollbar to skip to the front, end, any individual post, wherever you want, without having to reload the page. It accomplishes the same thing as pages but better, and for those who actually want to read through the thread, just mousewheel scrolling is much smoother than, again, loading a new page every dozen or so posts.

Yea. It looks like I am going be using the forums a lot less after seeing that. I am not a fan of how the new forum would look either.
It's definitely favoring style over usability.
bring on the real names and battle tags
I can't wait. One day I'm gonna be all Minority Reporting the forums, sliding windows about and being like "zoom.. enhance.. quote.. cross-reference with known pun database.." as glass screens, projectors, and lasers all guide it. There'll be an oldschool red led digit counter too showing my current post count. It's gonna be great.
11/12/2018 02:15 AMPosted by Nzhuv
This will never happen. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Why is the bar so pathetically small
This is all I can think about with this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p86KIGIA5k
oof.. Just try using the normal scroll bar it just goes nuts when you get further down.
11/12/2018 02:30 AMPosted by Ebris
11/12/2018 02:15 AMPosted by Nzhuv
This will never happen. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Never say never with Actiblizzard, we came close once already

Because, if the thread had 1000+ posts, all visible at once, your browser scroll handle would be 1 pixel high, and move 20 posts for 1mm of travel It would be nearly impossible to stop at a particular item.

The advanced search feature should make it much easier to find things than repeatedly doing page, find-in-page over and over again.
In the new forum, you can limit your search to one forum, with poster name, before, or after a date (but no date range?)