Need to read 20K posts in 100 days for Trust 3

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
11/12/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Mooriartee
So does that mean Snowfox is going to be like a mythic raider when it comes to the forums?

And will she be going for the world first trust level 3?

Wouldn't that make Snowfox like the Method of the forum meta-game?

/moo

The forums will be actual end game for many who will stream themselves striving to maximize their progress.
Oh like he whose name we have all learned to hate?
I'm sure after 8.1 releases there will be a few "Azerite STILL sucks" threads that will reach 30+ pages, and since threads no longer have page caps... they should be good for reaching the "posts read" cap.
11/12/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Crøwley
11/12/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Mirasol

Well, maybe you can get that with just one thread! At first it might be odd, but should be easy enough once we have big threads. Note each forum has separate trust so if you have it on OW, you won't have it here or HotS.

At least a lot more threads will be constructive instead of spam and crap. Hopefully, it will be a good change to encourage better behavior.
Crowley my friend, why don't you trust me?
11/12/2018 01:12 PMPosted by Hematopoetic
We are being told that the new WoW forums will follow the "Trust" guidelines of the current Hearthstone and Overwatch forums. We have been directed to the following URL to learn more:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/new-forum-syntax-guide-details-about-trust-levels/380

...from which we learn about how to reach the most trusted level:

[quoting] TRUST LEVEL 3

Get to trust level 3 by…

Must have visited at least 50% of last 100 days
Must have replied to at least 10 different topics
Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 500 topics
Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 20,000 posts (both starting posts and replies)
Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.
Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
Must not have been suspended (including forum suspensions or in-game account actions of any Blizzard game) [end quoting]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wait a second...

If I spend 2 minutes reading each post in order to get to 20,000, that ends up being 40,000 minutes, or 666.666 hours.

Coincidence? I think not.

P.S. I can't see anyone with a job or a life or any self-respect spending literally 27.7 days (or far more, if they read slowly) reading forum posts in any 100 day period. Seriously?

If this system is implemented in the way it is advertised, as others have noted, there will be little difference between the Activision/Blizzard forum "Trust" system and the new system being implemented by the People's Republic of China: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

"The Chinese government aims at assessing the trustworthiness and compliance of each person. Data stems both from peoples' own accounts, as well as their network's activities."

Note that, if Activision/Blizzard removes the ability to post as a character, and mandates Real ID, account handle, or some such, I will never post here again. Some of you will rejoice, no doubt, but this feels like a cruel and unusal Veterans Day gift to this U.S. veteran...

For more on the Real ID fiasco, for those who weren't here in 2010: https://www.voxexmachina.com/news/blizzard-real-id-fiasco-fallout-escaping-ourselves-online/

Some level of anonymity (pseudonymity, at least) is necessary for people to engage in safe discussions on an internet filled with crazy people who do crazy things in real life based on what they read online (see: Pizzagate).

I guess we shall all see how this system is implemented. I imagine the number of posts lauding Activision/Blizzard for the fantastic job they have done with BfA to go through the roof, as users with more time than sense chase the brass ring of Trust 3 status. Please prove me wrong, folks...

The tighter they grip the player base the more will slip thru their fingers. More control never works and self policing is a horrible idea. See craigslist for example of self moderation.
I fully expect to *not* keep trust 3.

And you know what? I am fine with that.

What I am curious about is the rolling "last 100 days" part.

Do we get a counter on our profile for thread views for our current "last 100 day segment"?! And letting us know if we will dip below it in the future due to previous things dropping off? THE ANXIETY

I'll have to make a schedule, to make sure I scroll through 1500 posts every Monday.
11/12/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Akston
Do we get a counter on our profile for thread views for our current "last 100 day segment"?! And letting us know if we will dip below it in the future due to previous things dropping off? THE ANXIETY
There's a pill for that. ;p
the wow forums are now a minigame

have fun!
11/12/2018 01:15 PMPosted by Crepe
f you load a long thread with a lot of replies and scroll to the bottom, you'll have read a whole lot of posts.You're likely making too much of this.
If that's the work around for it.....why even bother implementing it?
11/12/2018 01:29 PMPosted by Hematopoetic
So, Activision/Blizzard deeply values my ability to scroll to the bottom of many forum pages without actually reading the content? In other words, I officially don't actually have to read anything at all? Good to know.
Why do you make it sound as if this is an issue for you? You know damn well you did the same thing to the EULA and Terms of Use when you installed the game.
Just think they even found a way to time gate forums. Got to love this new approach.
If this system is implemented in the way it is advertised, as others have noted, there will be little difference between the Activision/Blizzard forum "Trust" system and the new system being implemented by the People's Republic of China: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System
Who knew Blizzard had that kind of power?
From the Chinese government Plan for Implementation, the SCS is due to be fully implemented by 2020. Once implemented the system will manage the rewards, or punishments, of citizens on the basis of their economic and personal behavior. Some types of punishments include: flight ban, exclusion from private schools, slow internet connection, exclusion from high prestige work, exclusion from hotels, and registration on a public blacklist.

The rewards of having a high score include easier access to loans and jobs and priority during bureaucratic paperwork. Likewise, the immediate negative consequences for a low score, or being associated to someone with a low score, ranges from lower internet speeds to being denied access to certain jobs, loans and visas

Now let's compare that to the Trust system...
Trust Level 3 users can:
Create Wiki Posts (more on that below)
Post animated gifs, images, compatible video embeds, and links to any website
But what if you can't reach level 3? I guess you'll be limited to level 1 or 2 where all you can do is...
Users at trust level 2 can…
Create links and video embeds to trusted websites like Blizzard websites, YouTube, or Twitch
Have an increased “like” count.

Users at trust level 1 can…
Post unlimited topics and replies
Edit wiki posts (more on Wiki Posts Below)
Flag posts
Yup, totally the same thing. Being denied the ability to create wiki posts and link to Stormfront is just like being banned from air travel, not being able to get a job, not being able to send your kids to the school of your choice, or being on a government blacklist.

Totally the same thing.

PS: Farming Azerite is exactly the same thing as having cancer. Just ask anyone who's ever farmed Azerite and had cancer. Totally similar and not at all a false analogy from spoiled entitled children.
Easy pesy :)
P.S. I can't see anyone with a job or a life or any self-respect spending literally 27.7 days (or far more, if they read slowly) reading forum posts in any 100 day period. Seriously?

Which won't be difficult at all, to be honest. Then again, if the new forum isn't over moderated into uselessness, I will have even more reason to read the forums while I'm stuck confined to a chair on dialysis 3 days a week.
Note that, if Activision/Blizzard removes the ability to post as a character, and mandates Real ID, account handle, or some such, I will never post here again. Some of you will rejoice, no doubt, but this feels like a cruel and unusal Veterans Day gift to this U.S. veteran...

Stop using your veteran status as a crutch to justify a poor argument.

Sincerely,
A combat-disabled/retired US Army paratrooper (1/504th PIR 82nd ABN)
11/12/2018 02:02 PMPosted by Eyrinjia
I don't think the number of threads or posts you read or make is going to be an issue. I think it's the fact that your Trust Level can be undercut by people maliciously/falsely reporting your posts (at least, that's what I get from a first glance at the guidelines).

And all of this is way too reminiscent of the Kinja system they use over on the former Gawker sites -- where essentially only the cool kids get to post.

People can report all they like. If you are sticking to the forum guidelines, it wont matter. They are not suddenly just going to start removing or auctioning posts because people are reporting them.
"Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)"

I intend to hit this number with in my first post of "remove LFR"
Am I the only one that recalls this being mentioned months ago? that they planned on moving the WoW forums to the same layout as their other forums? I am pretty sure it a green who brought it up, and not an official blue post, but I definitely remember it being brought up.

This comes as no surprise to me, I have been expecting it. What I am surprised at is how many people think this has been 'sprung' on us.
11/13/2018 03:31 AMPosted by Miadra
11/12/2018 02:02 PMPosted by Eyrinjia
I don't think the number of threads or posts you read or make is going to be an issue. I think it's the fact that your Trust Level can be undercut by people maliciously/falsely reporting your posts (at least, that's what I get from a first glance at the guidelines).

And all of this is way too reminiscent of the Kinja system they use over on the former Gawker sites -- where essentially only the cool kids get to post.

People can report all they like. If you are sticking to the forum guidelines, it wont matter. They are not suddenly just going to start removing or auctioning posts because people are reporting them.

Suuuurrreeee they won't. Just like they didn't here... right?

The forum goers here have already proven that they can't even be responsible with a dislike button, let alone a flag button. Add "trust" levels into the mix and it sounds like a perfect place for the people who play World of Forumcraft to hang out and not many others. My concern would not be myself getting to a certain "level", it would be who does...
Well I am stuffed. They may bring in this new rule and automatically ban half of us from ever hitting level 3 "Must not have been suspended (including forum suspensions or in-game account actions of any Blizzard game)".
I was against the real ID change in 2010, but I’m completely for removing anonymity now. The community has proven the anonymous posting leads to the current toxic dumpster fire that the forums and trade chat have become. Maybe people will be hesitant to spew racist and sexist garbage if they have to put their real name on it.
11/12/2018 01:23 PMPosted by Meritha
11/12/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Presumption
Sounds like a system that can be easily gamed by bots. I guess that means we should trust the bots the most?

Do we have bots posting now? No. Why do you think we will have bots tomorrow? Come on people, make *some* sense.

edit: On topic: Most posts take 15 seconds or less to read, not 2 minutes.
To be fair, we don’t really know whether bots post or not. For example, when one opens a thread about any of the controversial topics there are always several “inb4 404s”, “0/10s”, “It’s not Sundays” or any other of the standard faire that could easily be automated.