Elune in BFA?

Story Forum
Prev 1 3 4 5
11/13/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Anyaceltica
Have you ever seen someone burn to death, even if in the darker corners of the internet? It's a horrible, agonizing way to die.

But it wasn't for them. It specifically says in the book that they died painlessly thanks to Elune.

Don't play dumb, it's unbecoming. Pedantic stuff like this devalues the discussion.

I see you didn't include the writer's there though. Surely you have to realize that it's Blizzard themselves that ought to feel the brunt of your animosity for this !@#$ show of a story line.

Sure, but the majority of it is gonna go squarely on the woman who looked at the tree and ordered "burn it." You can have your own opinions about whether it was right or not, but saying that Sylvanas wasn't majorly to blame for it - considering she visibly and purposefully did it - is just lunacy.

It just amuses me how pitiless you feel you are justified in being to the dark lady when what your essentially saying is that you are enraged by her lack of pity.

She wasn't planning on burning down the tree house. A combination of Anduin failing to anticipate are actions, Tyrande's complacency, Saurfangs incompetence, and Delayrn's goading are all what led to that atrocity. I admit, that's some pretty %^-* writing, but allowing yourself to get worked up over it is kind of, well, stupid.

Her actions to me would require reprisal whether or not the deaths occurred.

Oh, no doubt, but again the writers really want to shove your nose in it. 'This is your failure, are you going to let her get away with this?' and right on cue you dance to their angry little tune.

Your interpretation of my words is non-consequential.

Not my fault you lack eloquence when it comes to expressing your outrage.

If you just said from the word go 'dead lady burn tree, me mad!' I could have just skimmed over your comment.
11/13/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Galenorn
During the Burning of Teldrassil, Elune answered the prayer of the Priestess Astaari, and put the remaining Night Elves into a magical sleep, so they wouldn't feel the pain of themselves burning alive.

Edit: It's also somewhat implied that Elune somehow made Saurfang spare Malfurion during the War of Thorns.

Spoilers: In 8.1, when Tyrande undergoes the Night Warrior ritual, Elune keeps Darkshore under a constant state of total eclipse, as well as empowering Tyrande as the Night Warrior.

Damn! That’s awesome. Do you have a source? Out of game reading material, I’m guessing?

I love Elune tidbits.
11/13/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Mustakraken
I see you didn't include the writer's there though. Surely you have to realize that it's Blizzard themselves that ought to feel the brunt of your animosity for this !@#$ show of a story line.
I didn't include them just cause I didn't feel like highlighting a second line. I'm disappointed in the writing, but my disappointment does not devalue my dislike of the character they write. The writers are real life people, while Sylvanas is a fictional character. They're not in the same school of thought.
She wasn't planning on burning down the tree house.
I don't care when she planned it. I care that she did it. Her. Anduin didn't burn it. Tyrande didn't burn it. Saurfang didn't burn it. She did. Saying otherwise is, well, stupid.
I admit, that's some pretty %^-* writing, but allowing yourself to get worked up over it is kind of, well, stupid.
Did you get drunk and forget what forum you were on? We're here to discuss the story, we're allowed to feel ire towards a character in said story.
Oh, no doubt, but again the writers really want to shove your nose in it. 'This is your failure, are you going to let her get away with this?' and right on cue you dance to their angry little tune.
Okay. Dude. I don't give a sh!t about the writers' contribution in this context. Stop bringing them up, it's a non-argument. I'm talking about my opinions on a character in the context of the story. They have written Sylvanas in a certain way, and whether or not it's good, I dislike her. Besides, my ire for Sylvanas stretches from before the writing was bad.
Not my fault you lack eloquence when it comes to expressing your outrage.
I'm not outraged, but you can tip that fedora farther.
I still can't wrap my head around it. If Elune's a hands-off goddess that and almost never intervenes for the sake of her followers, then worshipping her seems like a gigantic waste of time and energy. You don't need to have faith that she exists because in the game, there's already been direct proof of that. The only faith in her that I can think of is that she'd protect you during times when you can no longer protect yourself, and she royally messed up with Teldrassil.

The only way I can try to rationalize this to myself is if Elune specifically allowed the tree to get burned because she felt her followers needed to be punished.
11/13/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Zarles

Damn! That’s awesome. Do you have a source? Out of game reading material, I’m guessing?

I love Elune tidbits.

The novellas from the pre-patch and Collector's Editon.

The Alliance one, Elegy, has Astaari's prayer in it, as well as each section prefaced by a hymn Tyrande sings to Elune:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/story/short-story/elegy

A Good War is the Horde perspective, though it has Sylvanas musing that Elune opposes her yet-to-be-revealed master plan, and may have even influenced Saurfang to spare Malfurion:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/story/short-story/a-good-war
I don't care when she planned it. I care that she did it. Her. Anduin didn't burn it. Tyrande didn't burn it. Saurfang didn't burn it. She did. Saying otherwise is, well, stupid.

Actually if we wanted to get technical, Nathanos is the one that does it. Sylvanas just gives the order which he and the catapult operators carry out. Again, tons of folks enabling Sylvanas in order for this storyline to happen.

Did you get drunk and forget what forum you were on? We're here to discuss the story, we're allowed to feel ire towards a character in said story.

Discussing doesn;t require you to get worked up over it in order to do so. I never said you weren't allowed to get angry about it, it just weakens your position.
11/13/2018 07:05 PMPosted by Galenorn
11/13/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Zarles

I love Elune tidbits.

The novellas from the pre-patch and Collector's Editon.

The Alliance one, Elegy, has Astaari's prayer in it, as well as each section prefaced by a hymn Tyrande sings to Elune:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/story/short-story/elegy

A Good War is the Horde perspective, though it has Sylvanas musing that Elune opposes her yet-to-be-revealed master plan, and may have even influenced Saurfang to spare Malfurion:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/story/short-story/a-good-war

Thank you so much! That is great stuff.
11/13/2018 07:19 PMPosted by Mustakraken
Actually if we wanted to get technical, Nathanos is the one that does it. Sylvanas just gives the order which he and the catapult operators carry out. Again, tons of folks enabling Sylvanas in order for this storyline to happen.
You gonna stop nitpicking anytime soon? The blame is absolutely on Sylvanas, I don't care who enabled her. She gave the order, she made the decision. What you're doing is just pedantically trying to reassign blame.
11/13/2018 07:19 PMPosted by Mustakraken
Discussing doesn;t require you to get worked up over it in order to do so. I never said you weren't allowed to get angry about it, it just weakens your position.
I'm not angry over it. I dislike a character, but what you're describing isn't where I'm at. You're allowed to be passionate about WoW's story.
You gonna stop nitpicking anytime soon? The blame is absolutely on Sylvanas, I don't care who enabled her. She gave the order, she made the decision. What you're doing is just pedantically trying to reassign blame.

Are you going to stop making broad statements that ignore the context of the situation? If I were trying to re-assign blame I'd just say it was all Genn's fault for attacking in Stormheim. But that's another thread entirely. All I want you to do is consider that the huge unforgivable thing you're so worked up over really isn't worth devoting all that ire solely on one character.

I'm not angry over it. I dislike a character, but what you're describing isn't where I'm at. You're allowed to be passionate about WoW's story.

Why do you keep thinking i'm trying to disallow you to feel anything? Do you feel you need permission so badly? I'm just saying your 'passion' for this plotline renders your position an unstable one, arguing emotion instead of logic. Do you understand that?
11/13/2018 07:34 PMPosted by Mustakraken
All I want you to do is consider that the huge unforgivable thing you're so worked up over really isn't worth devoting all that ire solely on one character.
Yes, there are other characters whose actions lead up to the Burning, I'm familiar with the butterfly effect. But it's not like Saurfang shoved Sylvanas while she was holding a match and she tripped and burned Teldrassil. The majority of the blame is going to land on the person who knowingly committed the act. I'm not going to hold other characters primarily responsible.

Hell, you're the one who created this argument in the first place. You conjured up an imaginary problem and then pinned it on me. Tsk tsk tsk...
Do you feel you need permission so badly?
You are reading far too deep into my verbiage.
I'm just saying your 'passion' for this plotline renders your position an unstable one, arguing emotion instead of logic.
It's no more passionate than anyone else arguing for a position they hold on these forums. Hell, I'd say it's more mellowed out than quite a few other posters on here - not that their passion is a bad thing either, as you'd seem to take it.
Do you understand that?
Grow up, dude.
Hell, you're the one who created this argument in the first place. You conjured up an imaginary problem and then pinned it on me. Tsk tsk tsk...

Again, not my fault you sucked at articulating yourself.

It's no more passionate than anyone else arguing for a position they hold on these forums. Hell, I'd say it's more mellowed out than quite a few other posters on here - not that their passion is a bad thing either, as you'd seem to take it.

Again, since you don't seem to understand, not a bad thing; just a weak position to argue from.
11/13/2018 07:44 PMPosted by Mustakraken
Again, since you don't seem to understand, not a bad thing; just a weak position to argue from.
Subjective, and largely wrong. Passion for a topic does not necessarily negate ability to discuss it.
11/13/2018 07:44 PMPosted by Mustakraken
Again, not my fault you sucked at articulating yourself.
Also subjective. Your failure to comprehend me is a you problem. As in not my problem.
[Subjective, and largely wrong. Passion for a topic does not necessarily negate ability to discuss it. Also subjective. Your failure to comprehend me is a you problem. As in not my problem.

You're the one getting wound up at me asking you to clarify what you meant, so I guess it is your problem.
11/13/2018 07:50 PMPosted by Mustakraken
You're the one getting wound up at me asking you to clarify what you meant, so I guess it is your problem.
You know being contradictory constantly is a poor form of argument.
11/13/2018 07:54 PMPosted by Grandblade
You know being contradictory constantly is a poor form of argument.

I agree.
lvl up your maturity skills