gem slots?

General Discussion
just coming back from a long time off (skipped mop, legion, wod). doing a few lfr raids and starting to get some 340/355 gear but where are the gem slots? 7 purples and not one gem slot in any of them.

are gem slots something I need to add to gear after I get them nowadays?
They are rare.
It can proc warforged, titanforged and/or gemmed.
Blizzard made this rather stupid decision to restrict gem sockets to RNG back in Legion... No one knows why... but they effectively made an entire profession useless as a result...

This wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't have decided back in WoD to remove the ability to craft sockets... but nope... we lost that in WoD... and then in legion made them RNG only...
11/13/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Nutts
Blizzard made this rather stupid decision to restrict gem sockets to RNG back in Legion... No one knows why... but they effectively made an entire profession useless as a result...

This wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't have decided back in WoD to remove the ability to craft sockets... but nope... we lost that in WoD... and then in legion made them RNG only...
I probably forgot, but I thought it was WoD that gem slots became RNG?
Ya pretty ridiculous actually.

It does actually screw a profession over quite nicely.

So out of touch.
11/13/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Defiaspally
11/13/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Nutts

I probably forgot, but I thought it was WoD that gem slots became RNG?

Nope, it was most definately Legion... in WoD, various dungeon & raid drops had guaranteed gem sockets... Crafted gear had RNG gem sockets though... in Legion there was only 1 item with guaranteed gem socket sand it was a legendary, all other items were 100% RNG for gem sockets... and now in BfA we don't even get 1 item with guaranteed gem sockets... it's all RNG... and to make matters worse... we've got 4 armor slots that will never have gem sockets... Helm, Shoulders, Neck, & Chest... that's a lot of gem sockets lost... They should have at least made Azerite armor guaranteed gem sockets...