340 Gear Should NOT Be Better than 370 Gear. (Huge Problem With Azerite Armor)

General Discussion
My 340 shoulders are simming higher than 370s... Not making this up. Has Blizzard become this lazy at designing gear?? Fix azerite traits, and try to balance them please. Getting a new piece of gear has become very underwhelming.
This is the system we have to work with for BfA. I would not expect any substantive changes until (hopefully) 9.0.

Until then, spend half the patch farming those triple-stack traits, only to have Blizz nerf them and release a new mandatory trait you'll need to farm for in the next patch.

Repeat ad nauseam.

Enjoy BfA.
11/14/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Signey
This is the system we have to work with for BfA. I would not expect any substantive changes until (hopefully) 9.0.

Until then, spend half the patch farming those triple-stack traits, only to have Blizz nerf them and release a new mandatory trait you'll need to farm for in the next patch.

Repeat ad nauseam.

Enjoy BfA.

Wait for the new ring! You have to double stack 3 traits!
welcome to rng craft.
This isn’t new. This used to happen all the time with tier set bonuses where you would want old tier over new gear because the bonus outweighed the ilvl increase. It usually required a significant ilvl difference (or sometimes Blizzard nerfing the old bonus) to make it worth upgrading.
30 iLvls is currently around 15% better, and that's just taking stats into account. Shoulders are, at best, 1/14th of your character sheet. So those 30 iLvls end up being worth 2 iLvls for about 1% performance gain from stats alone. Some traits are worth more than 1% performance gain, therefore... sometimes 340 is better than 370. But that's only if you're comparing worst traits vs best traits, really. Anything in the middle should perform well enough with the iLvl boost. Which shoulders are you comparing against?

You're also disconsidering the gains from the switch. You'll get more primary and stamina, which means more consistent throughput. If you're losing 100 DPS on a simulation, you might not be losing anything in a real-world scenario. Simulations make a lot of assumptions, one of which is "zero downtime" and another is "perfect execution". They also assume that you'll never die because you were just a little bit of stamina away from living long enough to get healed.
11/14/2018 08:39 AMPosted by Wreckstørm
My 340 shoulders are simming higher than 370s... Not making this up. Has Blizzard become this lazy at designing gear?? Fix azerite traits, and try to balance them please. Getting a new piece of gear has become very underwhelming.

What is this new item at 370 that is worse?

I will sim you myself because I have a hard time believe that would be true.
What are the two items in question?

Maybe that 340 really does have all overpowered traits and the 370 really does have all junk, plus the secondaries may be what you need on the 340 and what you don't on the 370.

Or, maybe, the simming is valuing the extra stamina at zero (it is), ignoring any defensive or utility value from the traits thus always favoring pure dps (it is), or the traits are otherwise biased for or against simming in a way that may not be obvious.

I'd at least review the situation yourself before making a final decision, and/or imagine how overpowered those same traits once you reacquire them at 370 if that's really the case.
11/14/2018 09:26 AMPosted by Momonohime
This isn’t new. This used to happen all the time with tier set bonuses where you would want old tier over new gear because the bonus outweighed the ilvl increase. It usually required a significant ilvl difference (or sometimes Blizzard nerfing the old bonus) to make it worth upgrading.

It was piss poor design then and it still is. I hated not being able to use my new tier from Antorus right away as BM.
You should be able to transfer your existing Azerite Armor effects to new Azerite pieces that are higher level than the one you had.

This would lower time played metrics though and the greed is still too high.

Unsub.
Remember last xpac when Blizzard said they are working hard that ilvl upgrades will generally always be upgrade? And something +10ilvl will just plain be an upgrade?

...well this expansion with socket weightings and azurite it's even worse. +30-40ilvl higher, still worse. Rings need to have primary stats again, we don't need MORE azurite talents.

They wanted primary stats to mean something yet for so many specs you have secondary stats simming MORE than primary.
It's not just Azerite

I got a 380 Merektha's Fang trinket yesterday in the M+ chest

That trinket is literal trash and is even worse than the G'huun trinket. I could use a 325 WQ reward and it'd be better.