WoW on Console

General Discussion
with alot of online games starting to cross over to include consol i think it wold be amazing if Blizzard got together with Sony and Microsoft and released a version of world of warcraft online for XBox and PlayStation.
This should not happen unless they require keyboard/mouse support, however the dumbing down of all the classes and ability pruning makes me wonder if the current developers aren't heading that direction.

To which I say - no thanks. There are already better MMOs (and other games) on consoles than a dumbed down WoW would be.
To be honest, I'd be quite happy to play on console. Assuming the controls were all well and good of course. My computer isn't that great, but my tv sure as hell is.

My plan actually is to get a new computer soon (hopefully before the end of the year) and set it up to use it on my telly. Not all the time, but just sometimes. If I feel like it. Still with mousey keyboard of course.
I mean honestly why not put the game on console. Don't dumb it down though. I can literally plug in a keyboard and mouse to my PS4 and play FFXIV. So why not wow? Open the game to a huge audience on consoles.
11/14/2018 09:21 AMPosted by Illionus
I mean honestly why not put the game on console. Don't dumb it down though. I can literally plug in a keyboard and mouse to my PS4 and play FFXIV. So why not wow? Open the game to a huge audience on consoles.

Most players on PS4/Xbox will probably never want to play WOW.

If they do not have big explosions, blood, etc then they will not bother with it.

Look at the best selling games on those consoles. Just have may are NOT a game like those?
If it's keyboard / mouse required than it's basically just a low end PC. No problem. But also, small target population probably not worth going after.

But if they offer a controller mode where people are sitting 10 feet away, can't read chat channels much less type in them, can't view logs or damage meter details or any other detailed information, can only use a handful of abilities conveniently, and is targeting an audience that may have different tastes and expectations -- then at the very least I hope they'd be in their own server pools separate from the current ones.
11/14/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Andistin
This should not happen unless they require keyboard/mouse support, however the dumbing down of all the classes and ability pruning makes me wonder if the current developers aren't heading that direction.
meanwhile FFXIV has console support and it's doing pretty dang well. Infact the controls for the game are quite decent.
11/14/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Magnarok
To be honest, I'd be quite happy to play on console. Assuming the controls were all well and good of course. My computer isn't that great, but my tv sure as hell is.

My plan actually is to get a new computer soon (hopefully before the end of the year) and set it up to use it on my telly. Not all the time, but just sometimes. If I feel like it. Still with mousey keyboard of course.

I'd love to play WoW on console, ESO did it and it worked just fine

Also about the TV, I use a 60" Oled TV and WoW looks gorgeous on it, no way in hell I'd ever go back to a monitor
God, just imagine the back pedaling in raid environments due to having to use analog sticks to turn and move.
You're delusional if you think anyone can translate 14 years of dated spaghetti code into a console game. Also, consider all the weird potato gameplay mechanics that would not work at all with a controller. FF14 was designed with controllers in mind; WoW is already too deep in its archaic controls to change without completely revamping the game.

At this point, it would be easier to just develop a new game, but MMORPGs are dying so it wouldn't be worth it. WoW came at the right place at the right time and no new MMORPG, not even by Blizzard, will come close to WoW's success. There will be no WoW2.

But hey, guess what would be easy to develop and can be successful? A new pseudo-multiplayer game, Warcraft Mobile. Play on your tablet and maybe connect a controller via Bluetooth. I see this most likely to happen.
No, just no.

You cant move out of stuff efficiently.

You cant CC mobs efficiently. Just no.

There's too many buttons.

We had an app for our mythic team tell us he couldnt CC a mob on mythic zekvos because he was playing with a controller. We g-kicked him. Dont waste our time.
Just say "no" to McWoW.
11/14/2018 10:15 AMPosted by Chilayllenn
11/14/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Andistin
meanwhile FFXIV has console support and it's doing pretty dang well. Infact the controls for the game are quite decent.

Some are just scared of the fact some consoles would work well with WoW and theres already players out there using xbox/ps4 controllers with WoW on the PC.

I personally wouldnt play WoW on a controller but more power to those that would want to. Plus not every pc gamer is using i7 9th gen with rtx 2080ti's for WoW, thats just overkill for WoW.
11/14/2018 10:15 AMPosted by Chilayllenn

FF was built for the console market, primarily in Japan when it was originally released. It was later ported to the pc for a much broader release. But many of the systems were first developed for a console system. I believe it’s much easier to port from console to pc , but not vice versa
11/14/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Sphinctus
No, just no.

You cant move out of stuff efficiently.

You cant CC mobs efficiently. Just no.

There's too many buttons.

We had an app for our mythic team tell us he couldnt CC a mob on mythic zekvos because he was playing with a controller. We g-kicked him. Dont waste our time.

Current consoles can support mouse and keyboard. Stop using this argument. It's bad.

There are plenty of other legitimate reasons Wow won't go to consoles but this isn't one of them.
Please don't give Activision this idea.
11/14/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Doness
Please don't give Activision this idea.

It’s certainly not the first time in years that it’s been suggested though to be honest.
Playing on a console with keyboard + mouse is really no different from playing on a pc with keyboard + mouse.
Microsoft won't allow it. Sony might.

Its really hard to put a MMO on console for a variety of reasons. None have to do with actually playing it.

Patch support/hot fixes for example. If WoW went to console, we would not be able to get nearly as many hot fixes as we do now. There'd be a larger delay.
11/14/2018 09:21 AMPosted by Illionus

Yup, the issue is not the keyboard/mouse functionality with console, it's with matchmaking/crossplay compatibility and the fear of exodus to a competitor's platform.

This is why PS4, who is currently 'winning' the console war, is the most reluctant to allow crossplay with a competitor; however, Fortnite is the exception to this rule. (They caved after heavy pressure from Fortnite and the gaming community.)

Each platform will be closely watching how this will all play out. Hopefully sometime in the future, crossplay becomes the norm and not the exception.