Mythic+ Explosive Affix: A better alternative

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
The very spirit of Mythic+ dungeons is speed and efficiency, and the Affix system adds a nice spin to the dungeons each week to keep them feeling new and exciting. However, it really feels like the Explosive Affix runs contrary to what you are trying to accomplish in Mythic+. The Affixes should add an extra layer of difficulty to the dungeons, but I don’t feel that they should be actively preventing you from playing a Mythic+ how it’s supposed to be played. The goal of a Mythic+ is to beat the timer, doing so yields more loot and upgrades your key. So to reach that goal, the players’ main course of action is to move through the dungeons as fast as they are able in hopes of beating it before the timer runs out. However, the Explosive Affix harshly punishes you for doing this. And worst yet, there is pretty much no counterplay to it other than going slower and pulling smaller groups of mobs, which makes it one of the worst Affixes to have when trying to push keys.

The intent of the Explosive Affix is clearly to create a priority target that needs to be focused down in order to prevent dps from just AOEing or tunneling a specific target. So I want to highlight some of the problems that I see with the current implementation and also provide and possible alternative that achieves the same goal.

Problems with Explosive
  • It slows down the pace of the dungeon.
  • It’s awkward to have to sift through an ocean of nameplates in order to kill all the orbs with very little time.
  • There is only one way to deal with the Affix. No matter what classes you bring or abilities you use, the way you handle Explosive is always the same. There is no counterplay.
  • Dot classes have a much harder time with orbs than instant burst classes.
  • Orbs have a small hitbox and can sometimes spawn bad places where melee have to get close to a group of mobs that aren’t aggroed and risk pulling them or they may have to stand in fire/puddles in order to damage the orb.

Proposed changes to Explosive
  • One large orb spawns instead of multiple small ones.
  • The orb has significantly more health and the time until it detonates is increased (~10 seconds).
  • Damage done to the orb causes it to shrink and reduces the damage of it’s detonation.
  • Players suffer fire damage proportional to the damage they deal when attacking the orb.
  • The detonation can no longer be LoSed.
  • The orb is still immune to AOE damage.

This change would still serve it;s original intent while also dealing with the issues explained above. I also think it would make it a bit more interesting to deal with because DPS can’t just go all out on it, otherwise they would die from the partially reflected fire damage unless they used a defensive. This allows for different ways to tackle this Affix depending on what classes you bring and the cooldowns they have available. Also, I think the damage of the detonation scaling with the HP of the orb would make it more manageable if you have a dps down or if someone is simply not switching to the orb when it spawns.
This exact idea has been suggested before, (except perhaps the damage reflection which is a bad idea anyways) multiple times all the way back to when Explosive first started in Legion. Blizzard seems to have no interest in fixing the affix outside of outlier issues from bosses that plainly were not tested with this affix.

A single more dangerous orb that's up for longer would fix many of the issues, (especially with dot classes) but the damage reflection would make it extremely dangerous for melee. At high gear levels melee dps do significantly more burst damage than they have in health. It would basically mean burst classes couldn't touch it at all if they weren't at full health.
11/14/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Leafblight
This exact idea has been suggested before, (except perhaps the damage reflection which is a bad idea anyways) multiple times all the way back to when Explosive first started in Legion. Blizzard seems to have no interest in fixing the affix outside of outlier issues from bosses that plainly were not tested with this affix.

A single more dangerous orb that's up for longer would fix many of the issues, (especially with dot classes) but the damage reflection would make it extremely dangerous for melee. At high gear levels melee dps do significantly more burst damage than they have in health. It would basically mean burst classes couldn't touch it at all if they weren't at full health.

The idea is that the Orb doesn't have too much health, so your not supposed to sit on it for a long time doing your full rotation. So lets say that all the dps in the group has 150k hp. The Orb would only need to have ~200k hp. With all dps attacking it, each would only take 67k damage (assuming they all do the same amount of damage), and that's ignoring the tank and maybe even the healer helping out.

The purpose of the damage reflect is simply to encourage all dps to help out on the orb, otherwise, the damage may be too high for one dps to handle by themselves unless they get spammed healed or have a personal.
11/14/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Adversarius
The goal of a Mythic+ is to beat the timer, doing so yields more loot and upgrades your key. So to reach that goal, the players’ main course of action is to move through the dungeons as fast as they are able in hopes of beating it before the timer runs out. However, the Explosive Affix harshly punishes you for doing this. And worst yet, there is pretty much no counterplay to it

This argument makes no sense. Almost every affix slows the group down, most of them in the exact same way as explosive, by limiting the number of mobs you can pull at once. Counterplay is to kill the orbs before they explode, LoS the orbs, use cds/immunities to survive if you can't get them all, etc.

I actually like explosive more than most affixes because it's not disproportionately on the tank and healer to deal with.
Why do people think explosive is the only affix that slows down the pace of dungeons?

Bursting? Bolstering? Do you think you can do the same pulls/pace in SoTS on a bursting/quaking week as a volcanic/raging?

People don't like explosive because they have to actually target them. Don't try and veil behind some illogical misconception.

The suggestion you put forward OP literally proves that your fundamental irk you have with explosive isn't that it slows the pace of a key (which btw, is what affixes are meant to do), but that you have trouble switching to them.
in the time it took you to write this wall of text imagine how many explosive orbs you could have killed ?
11/14/2018 04:11 PMPosted by Valkür
in the time it took you to write this wall of text imagine how many explosive orbs you could have killed ?

The same QQing comes up every time its explosive week.

Further to what I said, I'm not saying that players can't have likes/dislikes and preferences of affixes. Everyone does. Explosive is also one of my least favorites but that doesn't mean I'm calling for it to be changed and removed.

I also don't like necrotic as a tank, because it makes me have to kite to clear stacks. By the same logic as OP, this is a time sink as there is a substantial DPS loss.

By all means, do m0 and use a stopwatch to time yourself if you don't want anything that slows you down.
11/14/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Toccata
Counterplay is to kill the orbs before they explode, LoS the orbs, use cds/immunities to survive if you can't get them all, etc.

"Killing the orbs" isn't counterplay. That's just doing the mechanic. LoSing has nothing to do with class utility, which is what I was referring to. It's also not necessarily an option depending on the type of room you are in. Lastly, using CDs and immunities is technically an option, but it's not going to help much is allowing you to move at a faster pace due to the fact that orbs spawn fairly consistantly and there aren't enough CDs in the world that's going to help you if you pull a fairly large pack that is going to last an eternity because all you can do is spend 90% of the pull focusing down orbs.

11/14/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Kayéd
Why do people think explosive is the only affix that slows down the pace of dungeons?

Bursting? Bolstering? Do you think you can do the same pulls/pace in SoTS on a bursting/quaking week as a volcanic/raging?

People don't like explosive because they have to actually target them. Don't try and veil behind some illogical misconception.

The suggestion you put forward OP literally proves that your fundamental irk you have with explosive isn't that it slows the pace of a key (which btw, is what affixes are meant to do), but that you have trouble switching to them.

In an organized group, Bursting can be handled by dpsing a large group low and then killing off a few at a time. With Bolstering, you can still pull a large group as long as you are able to kill them all at the same time. However, there is no amount of organization that would allow you to pull a group of 8 - 10 mobs and having any hopes of dealing with all of the Explosives before you get overwhelmed. They simply aren't comparable.

Targeting Explosive isn't an issue for me. I very rarely have any wipes due to the Affix itself. My issue is with the fact that compared to any other Affix, Explosive is by far the most punishing when it comes to pushing timers.
Some are definitely more annoying than others, but 100% of the affixes are designed to slow players down.
Explosive orbs this week in a 17 key have 20k health. Needing to dump 3-4 globals into each orb depending on your class is ridiculous. At the end of the week, just look at how many high keys were completed compared to other weeks, even other difficult weeks not just raging volcanic. When 99% of the higher end M+ community outright stops for a week, something is wrong with the affixes.