Next to no stones going out.

General Discussion
It is only Wednesday and there are already sparingly few people trying to do their stones. By early this afternoon I already had a group where a fellow talked about failing his stone twice with his guild...we failed his stone.

The reason for this, despite what people think, is not because it is too hard. It is because it is NO FUN.

Nobody wants convolution. The best mechanics are things like Volcanic or quaking which cause you to move or like raging or bolstering which take limited mechanical effort and thought but do overall increase the difficulty and need to be minded. They dont OVERWHELM the dungeon.

NOBODY WANTS TO BE SWITCHING TARGETS ALL DAY. ITS NOT FUN.

It has nothing to do with difficulty at all. And every time I come in here and talk about Mythic+ some rose tint wearing vanilla player tells me that the problem with the game is that things aren't hard enough.

Its not about the difficulty. Its just a piss off to deal with and no one wants to do it, therefore it doesn't get done. Explosive is a stupid mechanic for several reasons, the chief among them is the way we interact with it.

And it isnt fun.
11/14/2018 08:33 PMPosted by Taironn
It is only Wednesday and there are already sparingly few people trying to do their stones. By early this afternoon I already had a group where a fellow talked about failing his stone twice with his guild...we failed his stone.

The reason for this, despite what people think, is not because it is too hard. It is because it is NO FUN.

Nobody wants convolution. The best mechanics are things like Volcanic or quaking which cause you to move or like raging or bolstering which take limited mechanical effort and thought but do overall increase the difficulty and need to be minded. They dont OVERWHELM the dungeon.

It has nothing to do with difficulty at all. And every time I come in here and talk about Mythic+ some rose tint wearing vanilla player tells me that the problem with the game is that things aren't hard enough.

Its not about the difficulty. Its just a piss off to deal with and no one wants to do it, therefore it doesn't get done. Explosive is a stupid mechanic for several reasons, the chief among them is the way we interact with it.

And it isnt fun.

I'm doing my guild runs tomorrow and am absolutely dreading the affixes this week. Fortified, Teeming... Explosives... and Infested. Sheesh. AoE sausage fest.
Oh man last week was so easy, this just feels punishing. I feel like I got trolled considering a friend assured me this week would be "easy af". What I don't get is why explosive orbs can't be affected by aoe/cleave damage, why is it single target only?
11/14/2018 08:37 PMPosted by Korelgor
11/14/2018 08:33 PMPosted by Taironn

And it isnt fun.

I'm doing my guild runs tomorrow and am absolutely dreading the affixes this week. Fortified, Teeming... Explosives... and Infested. Sheesh. AoE sausage fest.
Idk an AoE sausage feast sounds kinda tempting..
Would be "potentially" more engaging if BfA dungeons weren't so open so you can at least mess around with LoS on the orbs. Outside of that though it's pretty tedious, it's like the bombs in Motherlode, except you can't CC them, they just have to be killed in a certain amount of time.

Definitely more of an annoyance than an engaging affix.
11/14/2018 08:40 PMPosted by Momimfotm
Oh man last week was so easy, this just feels punishing. I feel like I got trolled considering a friend assured me this week would be "easy af". What I don't get is why explosive orbs can't be affected by aoe/cleave damage, why is it single target only?

So that you have to swap to them and can't just cleave them down with the AoE you are already using. It's all about interaction.
11/14/2018 08:47 PMPosted by Haavi
11/14/2018 08:40 PMPosted by Momimfotm

So that you have to swap to them and can't just cleave them down with the AoE you are already using. It's all about interaction.

Yeah, I surmised as such. That just sounds exhausting though. The thought of having to tab target cycle through explosive orbs makes me almost feel winded. Like, I'm sweating bullets just thinking about it.
11/14/2018 08:58 PMPosted by Momimfotm
Yeah, I surmised as such. That just sounds exhausting though. The thought of having to tab target cycle through explosive orbs makes me almost feel winded. Like, I'm sweating bullets just thinking about it.

Yep, it's more tedious than anything which is what the OP's complaint is about. It's not difficult per se but having to change target every 5s is annoying.
having to tab target cycle
Found the real issue.

I'm no fan of explosive, it tremendously favors some classes and leaves most casters in a bind and is more tedious than fun mechanical interaction, more prejudicial than probative you might say, but tab target is by no means the best way to just quickly swap to and from.
11/14/2018 09:08 PMPosted by Perseus
Found the real issue.

I'm no fan of explosive, it tremendously favors some classes and leaves most casters in a bind and is more tedious than fun mechanical interaction, more prejudicial than probative you might say, but tab target is by no means the best way to just quickly swap to and from.

Any suggestions? I mainly heal so this isn't too much of an issue but on certain fights( like the 2nd boss in temple using knot of snakes) on someone tab targeting to stun them in time almost never works. I know tab targeting is wholly unreliable but I admit I've never really researched any alternatives beyond clicking.
11/14/2018 09:13 PMPosted by Momimfotm
Any suggestions?
I forgot the exact name of the snake mob, but when I do mythic plus there, for example, I have /use [tar=mob name] axe toss or something along those lines. Replaced by Holy Word: Chastise on my priest.

Explosive affixes, however, are treated like totems meaning target macros and aoe, as pointed out, will not work. The best general solution is to use a status bar nameplate addon you can comfortably use. I use KUInameplates and find targeting specific mobs easier with that. ElvUI also has similar built in functions. Tab targeting just leaves too much uncertainty anywhere with more than 2 total targets where the keypress of even one more tab keypress after the first could be one key press too long.

EDIT: Whether you choose to use a new nameplate addon or try to carry on with default or ElvUI, make sure to go into the options and set nameplates to stacking, so they stack in a row down rather than overlap on screen making targeting a specific one impossible.
Found the real issue.

Sure, but it's kinda hard to click on that damn explosion buried deep among army of 8ft tall mobs :/
How much health do they have? Cause frost used to be super good at clearing them with regular ice lances.
11/14/2018 09:33 PMPosted by Aohige
...Found the real issue.

Sure, but it's kinda hard to click on that damn explosion buried deep among army of 8ft tall mobs :/
Please reference my post just before this.
11/14/2018 09:25 PMPosted by Perseus
11/14/2018 09:13 PMPosted by Momimfotm
Any suggestions?
I forgot the exact name of the snake mob, but when I do mythic plus there, for example, I have /use [tar=mob name] axe toss or something along those lines. Replaced by Holy Word: Chastise on my priest.

Explosive affixes, however, are treated like totems meaning target macros and aoe, as pointed out, will not work. The best general solution is to use a status bar nameplate addon you can comfortably use. I use KUInameplates and find targeting specific mobs easier with that. ElvUI also has similar built in functions. Tab targeting just leaves too much uncertainty anywhere with more than 2 total targets where the keypress of even one more tab keypress after the first could be one key press too long.

EDIT: Whether you choose to use a new nameplate addon or try to carry on with default or ElvUI, make sure to go into the options and set nameplates to stacking, so they stack in a row down rather than overlap on screen making targeting a specific one impossible.

Thank you! I know I was gimping myself by not using macros but I will definitely give this a shot.
11/14/2018 09:36 PMPosted by Teneea
How much health do they have? Cause frost used to be super good at clearing them with regular ice lances.
I'm not 100% sure but a shadow bolt and hit from a tank is usually still enough. Worth noting that they do benefit from bolstering.
What is a "stone"?
Agreed 100%
The leaderboards on my realm are dead. Last week you'd have to do +11s or +12s just to rank.
In Legion I used to be able to manage explosive mostly by myself as the tank. The combo of high haste and the low HP allowed that.

It seems like they're tougher to take down in BFA and more numerous. All in all, the affixes and dungeons are poorly thought out. The way they're laid out leads to tedium, not fun. Like just make the orbs one shottable by every ability, it's stupid that they even have HP.

Everything in BFA was designed for tedium grinding, that's why no one wants to play this crap except for people who're casual and haven't been playing long.
The dungeons are tedious, the quest areas are tedious, the rep grind, the pvp grind, even the raid has a stupid amount of trash.