Ret is Meh in BFA

Paladin
So ret is annoying right now.

Inquisition is lame. It makes the rotation feel clunky. Managing "uptime' on an already slow plodding play style is really !@#$ty. Divine purpose is too random, and crusade sucks now.

Our single target is good, surely, but to get decent AOE you gotta do it PERFECT compared to other classes and they will always beat you anyway. Uldir also has a lot of two target situations and we suck at that. You're building 3-5 holy power and most of them are just BLAM AOE.

The downtime troughs suck too. Sometimes you hit these right near an add phase and everyone starts to AOE while you're "spooling up" your next inquisition cycle. Ugh.

SoV is stronger at least, and our off heals are better. There's that. At least we still have wake, but it almost delivers too much of our cleave now. "Holding it back" just makes it all feel even clunkier, and it's usually a bad idea unless you just gotta get through what's coming.

We can BOP in certain raid situations, and bubble to pull of a mechanic, but meh. There's too many of us now for what we bring to the table. Look:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/19#

32k rets all at the bottom. It's a little better at higher percentiles but blah.

I play less and parse way worse than I did in Legion.

Shrug. Still my favorite spec right now.
At least inquisistor make the slow gameplay even less slow, divine purpose is the rng talent and i'm sad to see that crusade is bad, it was a fun talent. We also got more talent choice now then in legion. If you know when the add gonna spawn, its your job to refresh inquisition before the add to not screw yourself.

Single target is good, but sustain aoe is meh with our low haste, crusade being a dead talent and no judge spreading, it should slowly become less slow as we get more haste in the expansion, the burst is good tho. I also really miss our passive judgment cleaving and now our 2 target cleaving is nonexistent.

Maybe they gonna add a azerite trait that make judgement hit 1 additional target in 8.1, but we shall see.

Tbh i prefer legion ret gameplay atm, but i still love my ret in bfa.
10/14/2018 05:03 AMPosted by Flebard
i prefer legion ret gameplaybatm

I strongly disagree, I dislike that judgement smash mechanic with a passion. I rather deal with refreshing inquisition.
10/14/2018 05:03 AMPosted by Flebard
Tbh i prefer legion ret gameplaybatm, but i still love my ret in bfa.

WoD Ret was infinitely better than both.
10/15/2018 12:51 AMPosted by Akusokuzan

I strongly disagree, I dislike that judgement smash mechanic with a passion. I rather deal with refreshing inquisition.

I like it personally, since it make me thinking on how to use judgement properly, then just a flat holy damage buff as it is now. But i can see why people hating it, since its a copypaste of arm gameplay.

10/15/2018 02:36 AMPosted by Altraeus

I do miss the sprint, but i can't tell since i was filthy casual in wod, didn't know to play ret properly, just smashing buttons mindlessly lol.
10/15/2018 02:36 AMPosted by Altraeus

How so? What was better about it?

How so? What was better about it?

A proper mobility not this trash horse ability.

Not having to wait for downtime when ever you are doing your rotation.

A better talent system with more option and not been force to only use that one talent that over shade the other two talent because it work so much better.

Just look at crusader in legion how overwhelming it is compare to the other two talent.
Well, the spec certainly feels poorer after Legion's cleave galore and Crusade with DP Legendary. And it's the worst time to lose cleave too with all the multitarget content out there. The Judgement window is no longer there, but man I miss the cleave. That projecting double divine storm felt nice. And divine hammer.

I like the return of HoW, it fills my rotation nicely. Consecration feels outdated for ret. It makes sense for prot, but ret doesn't control mob positioning, so it feels wasted a lot. Divine Judgment feels weird, whole concept of 'use AoE to buff ST' feels weird and downplaying. WoDs 'ST to buff AoE' felt better because it affected more targets.

Mobility still feels bad, because you literally need to accept that you can't get to some targets. Steed's cooldown is way too long. I'm more a fan of slower, but steadier speed increase like Long arm of the Law.

So in general, it feels stripped just like in the beginning of Legion, but this time without any traits or legendaries to make it better.
HoW should be baseline like it was before Legion took it out. An execute phase ability should be baseline, not a talent. It's pointless to take too, since Blade of Wrath is infinitely better. Also mobility should be like it was in WoD. Pursuit of Justice was great.
10/15/2018 12:51 AMPosted by Akusokuzan

I actually don't mind the current version, since it rewards play how often you can Judgement, rather than turn it into a nanny-rotation for Judgement.