110 to 120 PvE Scaling - From Great to Hate

General Discussion
I'm sure there are people on both sides of this issue, just like anything in GD, but after leveling my first toon to 120 (yes, I started 1.5 months late) it feels absolutely terrible.

I haven't done many instances and I haven't participated in War Mode, though I assume the scaling issue is also relevant there - my experience is solely based off questing and world mobs, with a handful of IE.

120 hits like a wet noodle. Instead of feeling excited that I've hit level cap, I am honestly somewhat disappointed and feel that my character has lost more power than he has gained.

Has this been addressed? Is there any hope for change? I have another 10+ 110s that I'd like to level over the course of this expansion and at the moment it would feel more rewarding to just keep them at 110 and lock xp.
It appears the system is working as intended. I'm not sure why they want people to feel weaker as they level and then get crushed at max, but that's how it is.

There are lots of people who have discussed this. There are a few people who claim they didn't notice or felt stronger.

Who is to be believed? I spent some time on the beta and ptr and didn't buy the expansion because of this issue.
By ilvl 320 or so this pretty much fades away. The last character I hit 120 with was ilvl ~345 by the next day, and that's before all of the Uldir LFR wings were released. This will be trivially easy when the next raid is out and you get 370s for afking through the next LFR tier and presumably warfronts/WQs give higher end gear as well.
110: Start strong, kill fast.
115: Something seems.....off. I actually died!
120: What am I fighting with? Wet noodles?
120: <340 ilvl> Ah, ok. Things seem to be dying quicker.
10/21/2018 01:41 AMPosted by Awby
By ilvl 320 or so this pretty much fades away. The last character I hit 120 with was ilvl ~345 by the next day, and that's before all of the Uldir LFR wings were released. This will be trivially easy when the next raid is out and you get 370s for afking through the next LFR tier and presumably warfronts/WQs give higher end gear as well.

Hey Awby - quick question, I feel like I've been playing for a while since xpac came out and I'm only 344. I still have 310 and 300 item level daggers and cannot for the life of me seem to have any drop. Any suggestions on quickly gearing?
10/21/2018 01:56 AMPosted by Currywurst

Hey Awby - quick question, I feel like I've been playing for a while since xpac came out and I'm only 344. I still have 310 and 300 item level daggers and cannot for the life of me seem to have any drop. Any suggestions on quickly gearing?

When I hit 120 with a new character, I do the following (only some will be applicable to you since you're already 344):

Arathi is priority #1. If your faction can do the warfront, spam that for the guaranteed 370 + infinite 340s. On a new character you need to meet a minimum ilvl but it isn't too difficult to get there. If your faction holds the zone, hit up every single rare (install an addon to find them all) and use a token on the world boss the instant you hit 120.

Use a token on the weekly Kul'Tiras/Zandalar world boss. Possible 355.

Oftentimes the weekly event quest can get you a 355 or 370 item. Absolutely do this.

If you desperately need a weapon, pvp to fill up your conquest bar. Guaranteed 345 of whatever type you want. You'll get other loot while doing this, and sometimes it's pretty good.

Check the loot tables for M0 instances and do your weekly run of the ones that have items you need. Getting into M0s is pretty easy in my experience, even as dps. it was faster to join them as a ~320 survival hunter than it was to wait in the heroic queue.

If you just dinged 120, try to do other stuff before you complete gear world quests unless they are about to expire. If you do that WQ now it may give you a 310, but if you do it a little later after you've boosted your ilvl elsewhere, maybe it scales up to a 320 or 330.

LFR Uldir is obviously a thing. If you have a guild that raids at all, try to join them for a normal Uldir run. Normal Uldir is absolutely easy enough to carry a few people with crap gear without it making a noticeable difference. Maybe you can delve into pug raiding as well but I have no experience there.
110-120 in my opinion feels fantastic. Everything before that feels awful and scaling was a poor decision for old content .
Why the heck are DKs the biggest snowflakes? I thought you guys were supposed to be edgelords who revel in misery and personal suffering.
There is no great in scaling. It's a terrible way to design an adventure game. Adventure should be about progression, not the world gaining power right along with you.
I just can't wrap my head around this..

@ 110 I can fight a couple bees and have no issue.

@ 120 I can go back and fight the SAME EXACT bees and have a hard time.

??? It's one thing to scale in order to keep lower level content relevant.. but the way it is now makes no sense.
I don't raid or do mythic + anymore because of this issue. What I enjoyed was getting gear upgrades and powering up and eventually 2 shooting mobs. That was my reward for doing the same repetitive instances now blizz took that away. The problem is there is no open world content to enjoy other than tedious world quest. This is why I hate BFA. For me #1 problem is scaling.
Scaling was the worst thing to happen to wow. It's worse than horrible.