First fishing memory

Classic Discussion
I remember being in Goldshire and buying my 1st pole and I think I fished in the small pond next to the blacksmith
"Your fish got away!"
"Your fish got away!"
"Your fish got away!"
"Your fish got away!"
"Your fish got away!"
"Your fish got away!"

For two hours, by then fishing skill was barely 10.

Never fished again until years later.
Anyone else keep crawlers and worms and a fishing hat in their bag, always, jic?
10/26/2018 10:22 AMPosted by Esfir
standing on people's bobbers in org pond with a kodo
So you're the one! I'll be looking for you on the battle field.
10/26/2018 01:24 PMPosted by Darkynhalvos
"Your fish got away!"
"Your fish got away!"
"Your fish got away!"
"Your fish got away!"
"Your fish got away!"
"Your fish got away!"

For two hours, by then fishing skill was barely 10.

Never fished again until years later.

I forgot about that. You could actually fail at professions.

Could you 'fail' crafting items, too? I never crafted, because I would never get any high end recipes to make money with. I stuck to mining/skinning.
10/26/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Dracarian
Torn cloth vendors for a whole silver? WoW! I can make some money here and finish buying those trainer abilities.

Unfortunately those vendor trash items in WOW fishing today weren't there in vanilla. If it was, people would fish like crazy to make money in the beginning. Mostly either catch a fish, catch nothing, or some stranglekelp in higher areas. Some rare times you could get a healing potion or chests with cloth, leather, potions, gear and recipes.
I remember finding the quest in Darkshore that wanted me to get the Darkshore groupers for Blubber Gump. My husband had been playing for a while, so I asked how to fish. He had no idea (no interest either). We spent a while swimming in some pools because a bit of time with a search engine brought me to El's Extreme Anglin.

Anyone have a cached classic version of El's Extreme Anglin?
I don't really have a fishing memory related to vanilla. Actually, I don't think I ever even tried it until around wrath, and then I used it to level cooking. But hey, I appreciate a thread that's not about sharding or loot trading for once. We could use way more fluff threads. They help build community, and that's something we need to start working on.
Glubber, Auberdine.
Took about 200 tries to get 10 fish. I got a free fishing rod as reward.
Gave up fishing on all toons.
11/13/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Brockthorn
Glubber, Auberdine.
Took about 200 tries to get 10 fish. I got a free fishing rod as reward.
Gave up fishing on all toons.

Taking the boat back, grabbing a fishing pole and lure in Darnassus, and heading out the baby side to leveling fishing a bit in the baby puddle just south of the road there was very much worth the time (one shiny bobble = 15 minutes). Fishing skill matters a lot.
Making my wife level my fishing for me. She loved it, I hated it. :)
Having my raid guild come to STV to murder alliance fisherman so i could win the Sunday fishing derby(For the second time). Many years later when achievements came out I earned the Salty title. Still miss Elis Extreme Angler fishing website.
10/26/2018 10:08 AMPosted by Zurnia
10/26/2018 10:02 AMPosted by Xanthak
"Wow, this is boring as @#$%" *grabs a beer*

Yet you replied. Got nothing nice to say then don't bother.

Gotta agree with that guy. Fishing was so damn boring. Not sure when I started enjoying it but it eventually happened. I am excited as hell for fishing this time around.

I suppose my best fishing memory is helping a friend win the STV fishing contest. I went around attacking any alliance I saw, and I would fish in the same spot as other Horde. My friend won the contest that day and I made a bunch of new enemies.
I remember doing the fishing tourney as a lil baby druid and winning the fishing rod.
10/26/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Zurnia
I remember doing a quest and seeing someone fishing and asking them why they where fishing, and how to do it myself. Also when I got the pole and skill I didn't know how to cast or click on the bobber to collect.

I soon learned that the fish and junk I was collecting had vendor value to it so I collected stacks and ran to the nearest vendor and repeated.

I also have a memory doing fishing with like 20 other guild members for a guild photo.

What is your memory?

First time I tried fishing was in the teens at Ratchet. I got to fishing level 6 before I wanted to insert shards of glass into my eyes.

15 years later, I banged out the next 894 levels in 2 days getting my artifact hidden skin. And yes, I still wanted to stab my eyes out.
10/26/2018 10:02 AMPosted by Xanthak
"Wow, this is boring as @#$%" *grabs a beer*

Lol, me. The only time I had the attention span to fish was trying to get Lucky Fishing Hat on my 19 twink warrior, which I successfully did. I think I was the only warrior twink with the hat on my server.
Seeing people doing it. Thinking, "That looks boring", and not giving it another thought until I found myself in a garrison, freshly at max level, staring at the fishing hole that I ignored. Stocking the thing out of boredom and fishing because I was sick of the rest of the area and didn't want to fool with pathfinder.

Then I realized how dumb that was and unsubbed.
I learned fishing on my way out of darnassus but never used it.

One day i was sneaking around elywnn forest pick pocketing defias and i found a hidden house up in the hills. It had a chest so i killed the defias there and looted the chest and got some cooked fish. Then i remembered i had fishing so i walked out onto the dock and fished for about 20 minutes. Then it started raining.

Almost no one knows about Thunder Falls and it's where i leveled my fishing up to around 110 instead of in SW canals.
Actually, my best fishing memory wasn't fishing at all.

Rather, it was farming mobs off the coast of Desolace. I think it was crabs or lobsters or something, and that they dropped a +15 fishing pole. While not super rare, they were uncommon (I mean, we ARE talking Desolace here).

Anyway, I farmed one up and wrapped it as a Christmas gift for a friend.

He was tickled pink.
11/13/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Balínor
10/26/2018 10:08 AMPosted by Zurnia

Yet you replied. Got nothing nice to say then don't bother.

Gotta agree with that guy. Fishing was so damn boring. Not sure when I started enjoying it but it eventually happened. I am excited as hell for fishing this time around.

I suppose my best fishing memory is helping a friend win the STV fishing contest. I went around attacking any alliance I saw, and I would fish in the same spot as other Horde. My friend won the contest that day and I made a bunch of new enemies.

Not Vanilla, but we did do some "fishing tournament fixing" for guildmates for about a month (by my achievement date - March 2012). This was when people could have toons on both sides of a pvp server. It was mostly horde (so we were good for "fixing" that). We had a few people with max horde alts who did some Alliance harassment (pvp being more effective than "big mount in the pool" or "fishing your pool"). I'm told that horde side general chat was lit up in anger.