Does the public know there's a new LIch King?

General Discussion
Heck even Sylvanas learned there's a new one and that peeved her off.
i assumed it was arthas that told the scourge to attack, and bolvar is telling them not to attack

that is my simplified version of it.

as far as who knows, i think as others have said, in lore, only the people that killed the lich king, which is 1 small group of heroes. not the thousands who whale on him weekly to get invincible

its weird how that story goes since they made it that we arent adventurers anymore, we are a "leader"
10/29/2018 09:00 AMPosted by Cindariel
No only we do.

About that. I kind of told a few people. Who may have told a few people. Who may have shouted it in Trade Chat.
Assuming it was kept secret, the storming of Light's hope in an attempt to raise Tirion as a DK for Bolvar's horsemen kinda ruined it.
That news is all over the Gnomernet. And not even the deep Gnomernet.

'there must always be a Lich King' is just a future expan$ion waiting. That's all it is.
I wouldn't say the mass public does just some lore characters do. And it makes sense for players/races who were active in taking down Arthas. Not so much for allied races since most were not there at the time.
As far as I know

Varian and Jaina
Tirion
Sylvanas only knows there is a new lich king but does not know it is bolvar.
Us Champions (those who were at ICC)
Knights of the Ebon Hand including the deathlord

im sure im missing a few.
I don't know why nobody decided to go and cleanse the plaguelands and such of all the scourge remnants in the last 8+ years or so.

The whole plan seems fishy from the start honestly. "There must always be a Lich King" means that he is keeping the Scourge alive on purpose because...? Maybe dropping them on some kind of greater threat is the only thing I can think of.

If he was actually in control, he could be using them to hunt down the remaining free willed Cult of the Damned and whatever forces they have, then keep his undead subdued so they can be put down and the last of the Scourge is wiped out.

Then Bolvar can finally rest in peace, cast the armor into Blackrock Mountain so it doesn't corrupt anyone else.

...Unless some fire elemental puts it on and becomes some sort of Frostfire undead elemental lord.

But yeah, Bolvar never had an exit strategy.
10/29/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Infernastorm
10/29/2018 09:42 AMPosted by Pharsalus
Why hasn't Bolvar marched the Scourge into a nice, big bonfire? Or forced them to fight each other?

Because the crown is controlling him or corrupting him. It's obvious by now.

Look up the memories of arthas events from the DH class hall in legion...

Memory of Arthas says: You believe that you are in control, that your will is your own...Yet you do as He commands. You exist by His whim alone. You imagine yourself to be free, but you will always be His.
It's probably known by the higher-ups and by those who are in need-to-know positions.

Consider that Baine and Vol'jin have no reaction to being told to visit the Lich King regarding Vol'jin's death.
10/29/2018 10:19 AMPosted by Ashfeld
I don't know why nobody decided to go and cleanse the plaguelands and such of all the scourge remnants in the last 8+ years or so.

The whole plan seems fishy from the start honestly. "There must always be a Lich King" means that he is keeping the Scourge alive on purpose because...? Maybe dropping them on some kind of greater threat is the only thing I can think of.

If he was actually in control, he could be using them to hunt down the remaining free willed Cult of the Damned and whatever forces they have, then keep his undead subdued so they can be put down and the last of the Scourge is wiped out.

Then Bolvar can finally rest in peace, cast the armor into Blackrock Mountain so it doesn't corrupt anyone else.

...Unless some fire elemental puts it on and becomes some sort of Frostfire undead elemental lord.

But yeah, Bolvar never had an exit strategy.

WPL is pretty much scourge free by now, EPL still has hold-outs. Silver Hand is working on it, but the scourge is so thoroughly entrenched there that it's taking a long time. Basically, the Silver Hand has no problem getting lots of forces to Stratholme, but they don't have Stratholme fully secured just yet. If that makes sense.
10/29/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Caroldanvers
I feel that the LIch King's command to Tirion that "No one must know what has transpired here" seems to fall in deaf ears.

I feel that lore wise the fact that there's still a lich king seems to be public knowledge.

So generally does everyone know that Tirion or at least there's a new Lich King despite the command to Tirion that "nobody should know about it"

Sounds like a question for the Blizzcon Q&A thread.
10/29/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Senseimoonk
Well generally yes, if the scourge is still active, then they would know there is still a Lich King Present

wrong.

Scourge would exist with or without a LK.

BUT w/o LK it would be mindless and attack anythign and everything.

"there must alwasy be a LK" is said to drive the point of its betetr for someoen to control an army than it is for an army to be mindless and feral.

As for OP's topic...

It is likely nobody that wasnt there knows.

Also Taelia would find out if word of it was known by ppl.
10/29/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Hazerd
10/29/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Caroldanvers
I feel that the LIch King's command to Tirion that "No one must know what has transpired here" seems to fall in deaf ears.

I feel that lore wise the fact that there's still a lich king seems to be public knowledge.

So generally does everyone know that Tirion or at least there's a new Lich King despite the command to Tirion that "nobody should know about it"

Sounds like a question for the Blizzcon Q&A thread.

It certainly would throw them off guard that's for sure.

I think the idea was the commoners wouldn't need to worry about the Lich King being a threat right after dealing with him with powerful organizations and leaders are a bit different I guess. Still a bit silly that everyone seems unphased when they have to deal with Bolvar. It's like uh, not even a little bit of curiousity?
10/29/2018 09:36 AMPosted by Xargaryen
Been a long time since I saw the cinematic. Doesn't Tirion say something like "the world will know of your sacrifice"?

I am old so maybe my memory is failing.

He said something like "You will not be forgotten brother". Then Bolvar told him "I must be forgotten Tirion!" and said that the world must never know what was done there that day.