Remembering Wrath

General Discussion
As a player that started playing during the Wrath expansion and feeling as if though I may be hanging up my bow soon for the last time, I'm looking back at all of my memories in this game and just how much I truly enjoyed Wrath and the parts about it that made me start playing. So it has me curious....

What are the things or systems or memories that you miss/enjoyed about Wrath of the Lich King?
I missed having a raid progression guild even if I was still a noob back in the day.
I was a noob in wrath by the time I got to max I think ICC came out but thanks to the currency system of running dungeons and weekly raid quest I was able to catch up just fine.
i remember the currency system was better than anything we've had since.

i remember the game systems(mob health, combat time, etc.) were so much better.

i remember having multiple avenues of gaining rep, and the choice in which i wanted to pick, rather than being forced into one only.

i remember vastly superior class design.

i remember a better game, a real masterpiece. one that, if they'd just bring parts of it back, would reinvigorate the game.
I remember getting a full vanilla reskin, including armor, as an opening tier and it being such a god awful joke the achievement was not to let a single member die on any boss for the entire raid on the "hardest" difficulty.
I remember the end of WOTLK feeling burned out when I saw the trailer for Cataclysm and telling myself that it would be a good time to get off the treadmill.

I remember the farming of badges in Heroics to get gear mostly for their looks and then feeling no need to play the character afterwards since raiding had morphed into a beast I no longer could stand.

I remember a Guild Raid Run where things definitely got a lot more serious. Most everyone was on chat and spouting numbers and orders while trying to herd us kitties. It was a lot different than our Karazhan runs where we mostly stayed quiet, did our jobs, and then the Guild Master would yell at us or congratulate us (my brother and I would be laughing on the other end because his accent was downright funny)
The story

Leveling and questing where you can choose different zones to start and level up making your way up to even more zones in a new big continent

World pvp wasn't forced but still awesome

NO CRZ BULLSH!T!

The community, guilds, everyone could be known in their realm for something be it good or bad it was so awesome, for every encounter you could potentially make friends in the game

Back when the game wasn't starved of items and content, lots of different ways to gear up and get rewards be it from quests, dungeons, dungeon quests, PvP, raids, etc. Not everything was RNG

Lots of family and friends to play with, so much good memories

Most of these apply even way back then from Vanilla and BC, but Wrath was simply the best expansion Blizzard ever made followed by BC and Cata.
I -technically- started in BC, but given I only played for 4 months (as a child I couldn't pay my own sub and my parents didn't want to) and didn't come back until 2010, I generally tell people I started "in earnest" in mid-late WotLK.

I didn't own the current expansion until Cataclysm, so my experience has more to do with the "legacy" game world and its systems rather than endgame WotLK content.

I miss all of the little inconveniences that made WoW feel like an RPG:
Hunter Ammunition / Quivers
Hunter Pet Happiness
Ability Ranks
Class Trainers in general
Traditional Talent Trees
The Keyring
Weapon Skills
Class Quests to unlock iconic abilities
REAL Group Quests being mandatory to finish many questlines
Reagents for Utility Spells

I miss the layout of the old map. Mob packs seemed to be more dense -- you actually had to watch what you were pulling. Now you can almost always grab one mob at a time for your quest (not that you'd want to with the power creep) without even thinking about it. I also get the feeling they did the whole "run for reinforcements" / "run in fear" thing more often which added a little more flavor and danger.

I miss the game before the acceleration of power creep due to multiple raid difficulties among other things. Death often doesn't feel like a real possibility anymore unless you go out of your way to make it one.

I miss my realms feeling like a community, instead of just the place people happen to be at the time. Guilds seemed more interested in interacting with the server, people generally seemed more social, partly out of necessity, whereas it feels a bit hollow today even on my pretty active server.

And yet -- I don't think I'd ask for current WoW to go back in that direction. I think a lot of the changes, removals, and additions have objectively made WoW a better game in its own right. I think trying to backpedal now would lose many more people than it would bring back. But that doesn't mean I don't think WoW has lost something that I've missed over the years.

And, while I said I can't really comment on WotLK endgame, I feel I can at least comment on the idea of a currency for catchup / filler gear, as that was still present in some form in Cata, when I DID get heavily into endgame.

It's both good -and- bad.

Good:
It gives players a solid goal to work for every day / week, which can be important in a game that otherwise just leaves the player mostly to their own devices. Also good as an endpoint for the day/week instead of feeling compelled to grind something forever.

It creates an alt-friendly environment, which is something many people generally enjoy, even if it comes with its own downsides. Easily catching up an alt through easily accessible content made it so you could enjoy your new character to its fullest rather than feeling like it's useless.

Bad:
A static goal every <time period> can feel stifling. It can turn the game into a chore for some players and it can make the gearing process very predictable, which takes some of the excitement out of it.

It invalidates a lot of the work those who get the gear through content put in. Using Cata as my example, you could literally outright buy current-patch tier set pieces for currency for most of the expansion, but even during DS you could buy what would today be called Heroic raid quality loot with that currency, just not tier. It made progressing through a raid a little less exciting when Jonny Bob's 3rd alt runs up in basically equally gear despite doing zero of the same work.

Basically, the major pros to a currency system were also the major cons depending on whose viewpoint you looked at it from.

Worth mentioning that the currency vendors in Legion [not quite the same system, but similar at least] were truly pretty good in terms of not overshadowing the effort of doing other high end content. I suspect we'll see more of that in BfA, but it's not time for catchup gear just yet.
11/07/2018 12:37 AMPosted by Vaenaru
Bad:
A static goal every <time period> can feel stifling. It can turn the game into a chore for some players and it can make the gearing process very predictable, which takes some of the excitement out of it.

good thing it was balanced out by the fact that you still needed gear drops from raids, and vendor gear was mostly supplementary pieces outside of tier.

you couldn't buy a full set of gear. it was much better than the current system, by far.
First and foremost, I remember blood DPS on my DK, and I wish it would come back. I'd probably actually play my DK if it did.

WotLK was the most fun I've had in this game for sure, though. For me, that is by-and-large due to the story. The Lich King/Arthas is my favorite lore character of all time (so much so that I still go back and play through WC3 every so often, so I'm VERY excited for the remaster), so having him pop up all over the place while questing and leveling in Northrend, and finally being able to actually fight him in ICC, was awesome.

That, combined with being in the same guild for the entire expansion made doing even more boring content, such as heroic grinds for the tokens, fun.
Lfd really opened up a whole new world for me. I actually met some folks via Lfd that talked me into joining my first guild and the before I knew it I was raiding. Never would have happened without Lfd. Sadly after LK my guild folded and that was the last of my serious raiding.
It’s not exclusive to wrath but I miss silly spells like Divine Intervention. Added a lot of flavor as well as a plethora of opportunities to misuse them.
I remember grinding out all the Argent Tournament achievements on two toons - my paladin and this one. Then I faction switched both...and grinded all those achievements again on those toons because none of my progress transferred.

Yeah, I had a lot more free time a decade ago.
Server communities. You went to dungeons, daily quests, raids, and Wintergrasp together. Things went a lot slower because of the lack of instant fun buttons.

Progression. There was a clear, reliable path to progressing your character. Raids were the pinnacle but you started with other things like dungeons and professions. There was a build up. You had goals.

Sounds. The music and sound effects of WoTLK were really good and they made the atmosphere what it was. The graphics haven't aged as well but at the time they were pretty good.

Well thought out story with understandable goals and some interesting side stories. Not that much over the top silliness. If they made Tuskarrs today they'd have big anime eyes and speak in a high-pitched voice saying cute things.
It's definitely easy to look back at older expansions with rose-tinted glasses. Going back to a game without all the recent QoL improvements is definitely not something I want to do. I'll probably check out WoW Classic but I won't make it my main game.

I miss my raiding guild in TBC and Wrath (TBC primarily). I miss not having the adult responsibilities that don't really give me the time to be anything less than a casual raider (as my 6/8 normal Uldir will show). Wrath was probably my favorite expansion from a lore and experience standpoint. I do think that BFA and Legion are good mechanically, it's just hard to replicate those experiences we had when the game was younger.
11/06/2018 10:39 PMPosted by Lilynette
As a player that started playing during the Wrath expansion and feeling as if though I may be hanging up my bow soon for the last time, I'm looking back at all of my memories in this game and just how much I truly enjoyed Wrath and the parts about it that made me start playing. So it has me curious....

What are the things or systems or memories that you miss/enjoyed about Wrath of the Lich King?
Wide and varied amount of content for every possible playstyle. Always something to do in Wrath, for everyone. Many quest chains. Argent Tourney. Crafting was fun, useful, and profitable. Raids were fun even for casual guilds to faceplant repeatedly on. Trash right in the front door to clear for "trash runs" that might drop useful epics, so no matter what, a chance for something. Classes meant something. Character progression. Dungeons were fun and rewarding, with replay value for grinding. Thriving community, AH was booming. Community. Liked my server, my guild, everyone on the server knew each other.
I have more fun now than I ever did in wrath.

I have pretty good gear for never really stepping foot into a raid or mythic.

I am able to raid with out modifying my life schedule.

Picking talents is as simple as clicking my option, not 3 giant trees you have to shift through all day with a dps meter so you can figure out the best choices.

I actually spend time in the world vs huddled up in org/dal.

I loved wotlk at the time, but you cant pay me enough to go back.
I have only played in WotLK and BFA. I don't think I really miss anything but I also don't really remember that much. I definitely don't miss ammo. I kind of miss talent trees. I kind of miss the Argent Tournament. Not sure why I remember that so fondly but it was fun.

There are a lot of things that are really great that they've changed though. Transmogging is fun.

Edit: ...Oh yeah, the warchief. I miss our warchief.
LOVed being able to enjoy the graphics, the music, the quests; all fell naturally into place. THe only expac I never needed a separate soundtrack for. RAids were awesome, healing was a fulltime specc(Ran druids back then resto ftw) hel any specc/class was; total immersion for real!
even ran a few horde toons because real WArchief and awesome storyline.
today what we got to look forward to??
our phones.
11/06/2018 10:39 PMPosted by Lilynette

Greetings, fellow wrath baby. I started around Sept 2008 I think.

I think the thing I'll miss the most is what I never appreciated at the time. Server community, great class design, the feeling that your character is getting more powerful with each piece of gear you got.

I still remember getting Big Bad Pauldrons on my belf pally and feeling my Exorcism hitting that much harder. I remember my guild leader Snoret giving me a tour of Wintergrasp and seeing for the first time just how big the world was.

I remember running a Scarlet Monastery run and a female undead warlock asked me and my friend right before the run "Are you guys happy with your guild? I mean...really happy?"

And that's how I joined a guild I stayed with for years and got to know people I'll never forget.

Everything worked. The story was compelling, the mechanics were awesome. I had friends, a home server where everyone had a reputation and knew of each other. T'was a good time.

Get your sh!t straight Blizzard. I'll be back if you ever do.