How is the new forum going to work?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Well, seems almost impossible not to think that they are trying to control the forums with the GCD and the privilege system. We will end with all white knights talking to their self about how awesome is everything. So much for listen the players feedback. Shame.
11/12/2018 03:10 AMPosted by Awkward
Unless you're directly insulting people, you're not gunna get banned.

*cough* Not true. They are not likely to change what they deem bannable with this new forum unless it's adding more things to be bannable for.

I got banned for insulting a 3d model and it wasnt even as a reference to a living person.
11/12/2018 02:52 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
11/12/2018 02:16 AMPosted by Jim
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/new-forum-syntax-guide-details-about-trust-levels/380

Assuming they keep the same trust levels how it'll work is this -

There'll be certain definable things you can do to raise your trust level. Once you achieve a new trust level you get to do new things on the forums.

Everyone starts out at trust level 0 (except maybe MVPs)

This level is limited to being able to make 3 new forums threads and 5 replies. However this level is the simplest to upgrade from - spend 10 minutes reading the forums and you should be able to go up to trust level 1 where there is no post limits.

Highest is Level 3 which gives you the ability to post inline images amongst other things. The nitty gritty details on the trust levels haven't been confirmed for the wow forums yet so stay tuned !

11/12/2018 01:15 AMPosted by Elae
Also, are the good MVP's like Bluespacecow and so on going to still be around as MVPS? We need them.

I'm not going anywhere. I'll still be around. And if our discord conversations are any indication neither will any of the other MVPs.

Why can't I be in the super cool discord conversations? :<

Why can't I be in the super cool discord conversations? :<

That was for the MVP's only I think. A private conversation for the big kids, you know?
I am curious about this, how is it going to work exactly, they say you will be able to 'post more often' if you are good, but what does this actually mean, does this mean that when we start we will have a limit on how often we can post??

Also, are the good MVP's like Bluespacecow and so on going to still be around as MVPS? We need them.

I know one thing though

You can't complain like you used to before because If you do you're gonna get canned lol
11/12/2018 03:41 AMPosted by Fiznazzle
11/12/2018 03:10 AMPosted by Awkward
Unless you're directly insulting people, you're not gunna get banned.

*cough* Not true. They are not likely to change what they deem bannable with this new forum unless it's adding more things to be bannable for.

I got banned for insulting a 3d model and it wasnt even as a reference to a living person.

I'm talking about the OW forums in particular.

Loosely speaking of course, as always YMMV, but the only reasons I've seen people get banned is either due to flaming or blatant trolling. Not defending the mod team, or even saying unjust bans don't happen.

But I think peoples fears about Blizzards mods ramping it up to 11 are overblown. For better or worse the mod situation is unlikely to change.

People will report for whatever reason they want, and then the mods may or may not ban you based on that.
11/12/2018 04:32 AMPosted by Awkward
But I think peoples fears about Blizzards mods ramping it up to 11 are overblown. For better or worse the mod situation is unlikely to change.

From what I understand, the tools they have available are more robust. So it may feel like there's more moderation, but in reality they can just find stuff a little easier.

Take it easy for a week or so and watch what happens.
To be honest, I hardly ever use these forms because, well, it sucks.

The lack of reply notification is too annoying. Constantly bookmarking conversations to keep checking, or constantly searching for places I've posted looking for follow ups is to cumbersome for just trying to hold a conversation.

Since the Changelog says that notifications are included in the new forums, I might actually stay using this...

M.
I am curious about this, how is it going to work exactly, they say you will be able to 'post more often' if you are good, but what does this actually mean, does this mean that when we start we will have a limit on how often we can post??

With regard to the MVPs, there are two programs impacted by the change. The WoW Community MVPs and the Tech/Customer Support MVPs. They have separate program leads.

We know that there is an intention to keep everything the same in that we stay in the programs. We should stay green on the forums, but we don't know if that will be in the version we get tomorrow or if we have to wait. That is a forum setting that the other new forums don't have yet because they don't have Community MVPs and only have, at most, one or two Tech MVPs who post there.

Just like the Overwatch Forums.
11/12/2018 07:42 AMPosted by Sorelai
Just like the Overwatch Forums.

Well the OW forums do not have green text, even though they have an MVP who started as Tech, but is pretty much an overall MVP now. He is green on the old forums, but not in the new format. That is why I said we don't know how tomorrow is going to go with regard to forum features.
Does this mean that when we're not grinding Reputation in World of Warcraft, we'll be grinding Reputation in the WoW Forums too?
I just want a row of buttons that I can click to announce the "tone" of my post that must be filled in before I post anything.

-Happy
-Sad
-Sarcastic
-Cheeky
-Silly
-Serious
-Needs attention
-Angry
-Idea
-Curious
-Other

This way people can know how to read the post. Much like the tone/face expressions help to tip people off so they can interpret what your saying correctly. This would help forum readers from going off the deep end with people just trying to be silly. Kind of like pre-emojies.
11/12/2018 07:44 AMPosted by Mirasol
That is why I said we don't know how tomorrow is going to go with regard to forum features.

If we're not a different color there will no doubt be endless threads about how we were all fired.

I probably should buy some popcorn.
<investing in Popcorn stocks now> who wants in on this?
The only thing that I have a question about is

with forum members doing this reporting stuff will someone who isn't liked for what ever reason be able to have a forum vacation visited upon them and that be tied to also having a ban to playing the game flow from that.

I read that this would be the case in earlier posts and it concerns me.

FWIW my simple solution to such a result would be to cancel my sub, and stop playing wow.

WOW is a game, and a product I pay for, I don't really care about the forums, the information isn't but once in a while truly helpful or informative, and places like wowhead etc usually pass on things like patch notes and stuff so I consider the forums nice, but not necessary, but I have zero trust that letting people in the forums determine forum bans if tied to playing the game online would work out well.

Is there a blue post that indicates if this worry is true, not speculation, but an actual bliz explanation?

TIA
11/12/2018 08:02 AMPosted by Maenyc
Is there a blue post that indicates if this worry is true, not speculation, but an actual bliz explanation?

Currently no.

However your solution is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

In any event, everything I've seen and read indicates that forum actions still won't have any effect on game time. Unless you're spamming gold selling sites. In which case, they may shut you off until you can prove you're you.
11/12/2018 08:05 AMPosted by Crepe
11/12/2018 08:02 AMPosted by Maenyc

Currently no.

However your solution is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

In any event, everything I've seen and read indicates that forum actions still won't have any effect on game time. Unless you're spamming gold selling sites. In which case, they may shut you off until you can prove you're you.

I think I said that a bit wrong Crepe

What I was trying to say is:

If I were to gain a ban in the forums and then log into wow and find I also had a ban in game and could not play the game I would not continue to pay or play for such a situation.

I would just walk away at that point.

Not in theory, but were it to actually happen to me personally.

It happening to others is kind of my feeling about flying:

I don't like not flying for months after reaching max level, but I don't mind if others fly or ground mount or RP walk, that is on them.

So I'm in wait and see mode.

What I would do were it tied to forum / in game bans is completely quit logging into the forums so I could not participate in the forums, I would either get information from other sites or just read only on these forums for anything interesting.

Sorry for being confusing.
11/12/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Maenyc
What I would do were it tied to forum / in game bans is completely quit logging into the forums so I could not participate in the forums, I would either get information from other sites or just read only on these forums for anything interesting.

That would make more sense.

However, I do think people are over-reacting somewhat (possibly due to this coming on very quickly). We'll adjust. And move on.

I'm not very concerned for most of the forum regulars.
11/12/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Maenyc
If I were to gain a ban in the forums and then log into wow and find I also had a ban in game and could not play the game I would not continue to pay or play for such a situation.

-A forum perma ban may = in game suspension. Not permanent loss of game play though.
-A forum suspension should not have any impact in game unless you are spreading cheats/hacks or something else really bad.

-A game suspension or ban = loss of forum privileges for the same duration.
-A game silence = loss of forum privileges for the duration IF we get the same system as OW.

Keep in mind that the number of flags you get to use for reporting per day is limited. They also track abuse and false flagging to skew threads and can hand out punishments for that.

We won't really know until it all rolls out and we hear more about it.