ever wonder what one of these online trolls look like IRL?

General Discussion
10/06/2018 02:20 AMPosted by Sariatu
i have, not because I'm angry or anything, but just because i want to see the human part of them. i want to examine their lives and watch their daily routine play out, maybe then i could understand what makes them what they are. i wonder if they would still troll if they knew people could see who they really were, i doubt it. maybe i should go into psychology.

I don't think you should because, firstly, most people who get accused of trolling on this forum aren't. Secondly, trolls aren't trolling for the reason you think they are.
10/06/2018 02:36 AMPosted by Sariatu
10/06/2018 02:24 AMPosted by Makash
Posts like this are why trolls exist. You shouldn't let them get under your skin, you're giving them exactly what they want.

10/06/2018 02:24 AMPosted by Hexadecimal
Most of them do it exactly for the reasons you made this thread for: To bug you and linger in your head long after the fact. You have all the power right there in your head, it's up to you if you give any of it to them.

honestly, it really was out of pure fascination/interest. i mean if you think about it, has anyone ever actually done a study on this topic? could you imagine what kind new discoveries we might find? it's no secret that the human psyche is still vastly unexplored, and a topic like this might lead to something even greater

There are definitely studies and it was where I was doing my research while working toward my Ph.D.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/272431.php

I will likely return to this field as it is showing growth and gaining interest. Additionally, video game companies employ people to conduct in-house research on those playing their games. It's a pretty interesting field to become involved in.
10/06/2018 02:39 AMPosted by Juuhachigou
I always wonder how these alt posters look like on their main. And what prevents them from posting under it.

A multitude of reasons, some people just don't want tryhards ragging on them because of their lack of raid progression, arena rating, ilvl, raiderio score, achievements, logs,etc. Some like the anonymity.
10/06/2018 02:45 AMPosted by Nairomi
10/06/2018 02:36 AMPosted by Sariatu

honestly, it really was out of pure fascination/interest. i mean if you think about it, has anyone ever actually done a study on this topic? could you imagine what kind new discoveries we might find? it's no secret that the human psyche is still vastly unexplored, and a topic like this might lead to something even greater

There are definitely studies and it was where I was doing my research while working toward my Ph.D.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/272431.php

I will likely return to this field as it is showing growth and gaining interest. Additionally, video game companies employ people to conduct in-house research on those playing their games. It's a pretty interesting field to become involved in.

that would imply horde are twice as likely to troll as alliance
10/06/2018 02:42 AMPosted by Momimfotm
I imagine some basement dwelling filthy neckbeard alternating between rubbing cheeto dust off his fat fingers and drool off his chin. Probably unshaven and with a credible uni-brow and a generally unkempt appearance. The kind of person you would feel sorry for but at the same time if you saw them walking towards you on the street you'd cross just to avoid them.

But on a more serious note, the worst thing you can do to a troll is not give them attention, don't make a thread about them because you'll just be giving them the satisfaction of knowing they got to you.

yeah i know, your right. i've always known there were people that made apathy a way of life, i've just always wondered why. in the end there's nothing we can do to understand them, i guess we just have to accept that these guys are apart of our society no matter what. a part of me wonders if it was the way they were raised, but it could be that this is just simply who they choose to be. ah well, there's not really any point in continuing this post. thank you for reminding me to be the bigger person, everyone falls off the latter sometimes, time for me to start climbing back up.
I travel to 3rd world countries to help teach children in orphanages and schools for slow children. I also spend my thanksgivings at food drives for the homeless as well as bring toys that I help raise to some nearby orphanages on christmas.

I've also gotten in trouble a lot online for "trolling".

Do you know why I think trolling is funny?

Because I've known people that had real reasons to be sad or hurt or felt like they were being used as a punching bag. So the idea that someone takes the thoughts of a random person online, someone they will never meet, so seriously, is a joke to me.
10/06/2018 02:49 AMPosted by Momimfotm
10/06/2018 02:39 AMPosted by Juuhachigou
I always wonder how these alt posters look like on their main. And what prevents them from posting under it.

A multitude of reasons, some people just don't want tryhards ragging on them because of their lack of raid progression, arena rating, ilvl, raiderio score, achievements, logs,etc. Some like the anonymity.

Which is ironic, because its often these people complaining about ilvl, raiderio score, raid progression.

They want to be able to complain about these issues without the possibility of someone pointing out they dont have the experience or skill to know what they are talking about.
10/06/2018 02:56 AMPosted by Jagdtiger
I travel to 3rd world countries to help teach children in orphanages and schools for slow children. I also spend my thanksgivings at food drives for the homeless as well as bring toys that I help raise to some nearby orphanages on christmas.

Because I've known people that had real reasons to be sad or hurt or felt like they were being used as a punching bag. So the idea that someone takes the thoughts of a random person online, someone they will never meet, so seriously, is a joke to me.

This is more revealing than you think.

Because I've known people that had real reasons to be sad or hurt or felt like they were being used as a punching bad. So the idea that someone takes the thoughts of a random person online, someone they will never meet, so seriously, is a joke to me.

if thats true, then you're a good person. you should know that causing other people misery, regardless of how they react to it, isn't something that should give you joy. i mean you do all these wonderful things and then you decide to go and try to make people miserable? don't you realize that your stooping down to their level? you're better then that. don't tarnish yourself by doing the same thing a common internet troll does
10/06/2018 03:04 AMPosted by Sariatu

Because I've known people that had real reasons to be sad or hurt or felt like they were being used as a punching bad. So the idea that someone takes the thoughts of a random person online, someone they will never meet, so seriously, is a joke to me.

if thats true, then you're a good person. you should know that causing other people misery, regardless of how they react to it, isn't something that should give you joy. i mean you do all these wonderful things and then you decide to go and try to make people miserable? don't you realize that your stooping down to their level? you're better then that.

Oh, it's not like I'm going out there starting fights and talking trash on different races/creeds/religions/specific people/ etc. I usually get in trouble online for making dumb jokes about in-game things.

Then I get told that I was trolling.

People do virtuous things for the sake of perception, or moments like this. Not saying you are that type of person but I personally know people who will do and say these type of things to give them some type of credibility to cover when they choose to be generally !@#$ty individuals.
10/06/2018 03:10 AMPosted by Brà

People do virtuous things for the sake of perception, or moments like this. Not saying you are that type of person but I personally know people who will do and say these type of things to give them some type of credibility to cover when they choose to be generally !@#$ty individuals.

I know what you mean. I only brought up what I've done because I never like broad generalizations.

If person does X then they must be Y.

Never a good way to think.
10/06/2018 02:58 AMPosted by Akston
10/06/2018 02:49 AMPosted by Momimfotm

Which is ironic, because its often these people complaining about ilvl, raiderio score, raid progression.

They want to be able to complain about these issues without the possibility of someone pointing out they dont have the experience or skill to know what they are talking about.

I was going to mention that in my initial post and then decided against it but you are very right, they often tend to be among the most vocal and opinionated of elitist posters.
10/06/2018 02:25 AMPosted by Woodspath
ever wonder what one of these online trolls look like IRL?

Yes, actually, I have... multiple times.

People are interesting to me, even the really annoying ones.

It would be utterly fascinating to be able to put faces to the personalities on here...
I don't because I assume everyone looks like their avatar. Especially you, Woodspath.
10/06/2018 02:25 AMPosted by Woodspath
Yes, actually, I have... multiple times.

People are interesting to me, even the really annoying ones.

It would be utterly fascinating to be able to put faces to the personalities on here...
I don't because I assume everyone looks like their avatar. Especially you, Woodspath.

thank goodness thats not true. that'd make tweezing my eyebrows feel like a gentle spring breeze.
Not really. I don't care what other people do, what they look like, how their lives plan out, or what they have and don't have. It's not a concern of mine. All that I really care about is me, my guys that I'm GM of, my lady, and my dog. S'about it.
10/06/2018 02:25 AMPosted by Vaghrarg
Like aren't you trying to troll me? Isn't trolling therefore subjective? Quit playin lol.

Who are you

The same people that spam hate speech and toxic %*"% and later when caught say it was all jokes so don't mad cracks me up, lol. I can lie that I'm Santa and gave toys to every kid in the world too because I can't prove it.

The whole point is to trigger people on the internet and target those sad or weak people. But if counter trolled those same thick skinned people break down in a fit of rage because they really those sad people and love to project it.
The funny thing is never know. If i remember correctly. Robin Williams was a famous form troll. He used to get a lot of people mad.
10/06/2018 04:14 AMPosted by Criopha

The same people that spam hate speech and toxic %*"% and later when caught say it was all jokes so don't mad cracks me up, lol. I can lie that I'm Santa and gave toys to every kid in the world too because I can't prove it.

The whole point is to trigger people on the internet and target those sad or weak people. But if counter trolled those same thick skinned people break down in a fit of rage because they really those sad people and love to project it.

Whether or not you believe me is irrelevant. If the only way you can deal with someone online is to dehumanize them, then the issue might not be with them.