Trying to understand Ganking

General Discussion
So many psychologists in here...

I do it because it's fun to me.

I don't go around telling you how pathetic running the same instances over and over and over day after day week after week for 2 years is.

I don't go around telling you that when you farm raid bosses that you can kill in your sleep, it's because you have control issues in your life and need to farm NPCs you have no chance of losing against to raise your self esteem.

Why you have to come knock my fun?
Cause I'm bored and its funny.
Thought Warmode was supposed to fix this issue blizzard loves turning a blind eye to.
Pvp happened with war mode on
10/11/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Lokki

I don't go around telling you how pathetic running the same instances over and over and over day after day week after week for 2 years is.

I don't go around telling you that when you farm raid bosses that you can kill in your sleep, it's because you have control issues in your life and need to farm NPCs you have no chance of losing against to raise your self esteem.

This

We are all just playing the same game here. Don't act like gankers are the only jerks in this game. This game is FILLED with jerks at every corner.

Dieing a few times to other players in warmode sounds less painful than being the target of the toxic attitude in instances. Only difference is you can turn warmode off.

Have you ever witnessed someone FREAK OUT when they die TWICE with warmode on? It's hilarious. You just sit there and watched the abusive whispers we get acting like the world is burning WHEN ITS NOT.

"Gankers have no life"..well technically we are both playing the same game. Chances are you play more too..awkward.

"You can't kill anyone your own level." Well you arent doing an activity that proves you can also so...I see your killing wolves. You must not be able to kill anything elite.

"Ganking is something I googled involving psychology." Lol at your diagnosing someone in a role playing game based off their attitudes. (You yell in raids? Must beat your wife)

Those types of insults literally make me laugh. And this is a video game so...it's good that it makes me laugh.

You could say gankers play for the love of the game. Since we don't do it for Honor, gear or rep.
10/11/2018 05:57 AMPosted by Assura
I actually enjoy the horde vs alliance theme and I will try to kill any horde attacking any alliance player or NPC. I will protect alliance areas by killing horde repeatedly if needed.

Otherwise, I will attack a horde player if I see them and kill them once. I don't want horde to think they can just run around with war mode on without any consequences.

This makes sense. ;)

I do the same thing.
10/11/2018 06:11 AMPosted by Mistblossom
Why do you think people do it? If you’re looking for a logical reason, there isn’t one. They do it because it’s funny to them. We could dig even deeper and say they have low self esteem and kill helpless players to make themselves feel better. People who genuinely enjoy the competition PvP has to offer don’t go out of their way to camp low levels. Those kinds of players are simple people with no morals or confidence in themselves.

I’ve killed a lowbie here and there, but I find it a lot more entertaining to hover over them and make them anxious while they quest. Then /hug and help them.

While we’re on the topic, I want to clarify the difference between camping and ganking. You get killed once, you got ganked. You get killed repeatedly by the same person, you’re being camped.

I appreciate the thoughtful response and I stand corrected. This was certainly “camping” an area. :)
10/11/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Lokki

It’s very true that I kill some NPCs that have no chance of winning......

However, I will counter your argument that high level players farming or camping low levels are also killing things that have no chance of winning AND you are also hindering someone else’s gameplay IF you do it extensively....such as hours and days.

AND some NPCs in Raids do fight back and kill us until we get our act together.

And yes, I believe players that lose their minds over dying in War Mode should TURN IT OFF.
I recommend flying back and forth from the nesingwary camp in stv and that one town in redridge, possibly looping around duskwood as well.
10/11/2018 05:23 AMPosted by Faedrela
Short and sweet, so people read before responding. ;)

War Mode on and you might die.....got it, no problem
War Mode, if you don’t like it, turn it off.......got it, no problem
War Mode, sometimes you do the slaughtering and sometimes you are slaughtered......got it, no problem

My question is about high levels farming low levels.....what is the appeal?
Honest question

We were leveling a Mage and Lock in Stranglethorn
We were killed several times by a high level warrior (110-120 something)

We switched to mains and hunted and killed him repeatedly for about 20 minutes until he escaped and went back to our business.

He returned and continued as before. Chat revealed he had been farming the level 30s and 40s over SEVERAL DAYS. Fortunately we were finished and left the area.

My question is WHY? I WAS BORED AFTER KILLING HIM FOR 20 MINUTES.
What is the appeal? How can you do that for days?

This is a legitimate question, because I can’t see how that is entertaining or engaging for an extended period of time.

cool made up story... you killed him several times and dont know what level he was? right....