Best Profs To Make Gold From?

Professions
Also which class would be good to farm and a pull a lot and do damage?
Right now the only professions really making gold are the gathering professions, primarily herbalism / mining, with herbalism being the clear winner with more nodes and more demand from alchemy.

Of course any profession is capable of making gold right now, though most of them are making gold from pre-BfA content (i.e. still doing decent with Legion Glyphs and a few earlier Glyphs from Inscription). But for BfA content, it is a lot more difficult to make gold.

Best farming class is probably a druid, able to gather while shapeshifted, though I think demon hunters, rogues, and hunters are also decent. The idea though is to gather as quickly as possible without stopping to engage the mobs that are attacking you. So any character with a sky golem or using hoof-plates / barding (?) in order to stay mounted while gathering without getting dismounted is good.

Probably any tank class is good for large pulls. They don't necessarily deal a lot of damage, but a lot of what they do is AoE, so large pulls still die relatively quickly. Monk is likely the best, using the golden ox statue to AoE taunt everything within 40 yds when farming world drops.
Always
Be
Gathering

It's worked for ~14 years, so far.
as a casual player you likely want to be gathering. for example I am pretty light casual and usually get in about 5-8 hours per day gathering around drustvar.

yields are decent but probably should increase the time to maximize potential.
10/19/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Kurthor
as a casual player you likely want to be gathering. for example I am pretty light casual and usually get in about 5-8 hours per day gathering around drustvar.

Light-casual is now playing 5-8 hours a day ...
10/19/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Gerthalan

5-8 hours casually gathering... I'm sure he light casually does some other stuff for a couple hours too
10/24/2018 03:32 PMPosted by Newsocks

5-8 hours casually gathering... I'm sure he light casually does some other stuff for a couple hours too

Yes some world quests in the area too but mostly just gathering.

Yikes! That is "casual"? I thought I was "casual".

I gather herbs 30 to 90 minutes a day. Even at the start of the expansion, I farmed at most 3 hours a day, and usually 1 hour. That got me enough herbs to level 5 alchemists and some other crafters, and I've made 2.8 million gold so far in BFA.

Now, in month 3 of BFA, gathering herbs is starting to become less-worthwhile for 2 reasons:

[1] Herbs are too cheap in the AH. Winter's Kiss (the only one I can loot a lot of quickly) is below 10g. Only Siren's Pollen (22-30) and Anchor Weed (150-250) are above 15g on my 3 servers.

[2] The are a zillion other gatherers. When I farm now, I see 20+ other gatherers. I used to see 3 or 4. And that means everything is already picked. Instead of 300 herbs in 20min, I get less than 100.

Yikes! That is "casual"? I thought I was "casual".

[2] The are a zillion other gatherers. When I farm now, I see 20+ other gatherers. I used to see 3 or 4. And that means everything is already picked. Instead of 300 herbs in 20min, I get less than 100.

It is indeed casual and very light at that when compared.

Now we have had alot of problems with botters in our servers. Average you see is over 200 at any time running the same loops--sometimes over 80 of nearly same named druid reindeers moving in tandem together.

We have to watch which way they run the route and change to run same way to try and get the picks as well. With multitap being removed again soon this will be a big issue though.
The price is directly correlated to how fast the mats drop. You won't make any more money from higher drop rates because the the price will adjust down, accordingly. The only real currency in the game is time. X-amount of time spent on a given mat will yield (x * Tv * Um) amount of gold, where Tv is the value of the time spent and Um is the utility value of that particular material.
In terms of time, crafting is much faster than gathering. Now if I could only get someone to BUY the armor I'm crafting!

I remember, 6 months into Legion, crafting a set of demonsteel armor and putting it on the AH. It sat there for a week, then one morning I logged in and a bunch of things had sold. Boom, 40k profit. Nice.

But some things never sell. It's risky to spend 20k or 30k on mats, and 8g deposit on each item each time you post it, if you post and post and they never sell.
The last couple of xpacks crafted stuff is tough since you can get comparable/better gear by doing world quests over a couple of weeks unless you need to be item level 340 on a certain day. Those are the ones that will shell out the gold for crafted stuff.

I was too frustrated with professions in Legion to skill them up the intended way, so I skilled them up via the DMF. Now I can't even do that. Previously I"ve gotten the "master of all" cheevo for many xpacks. This will likely be the first time I don't even try for it.
"With multitap being removed again soon this will be a big issue though."

What? O.O
10/24/2018 03:32 PMPosted by Newsocks

Obviously light casually having a job isn't one of them.
... Yikes! That is "casual"? I thought I was "casual".

It is indeed casual and very light at that when compared.

Now we have had alot of problems with botters in our servers. Average you see is over 200 at any time running the same loops--sometimes over 80 of nearly same named druid reindeers moving in tandem together.

We have to watch which way they run the route and change to run same way to try and get the picks as well. With multitap being removed again soon this will be a big issue though.

If you play 5 hours a day you aren't casual. Full stop.
Keep in mind, historically the deeper into an xpac the better alchemy gets. People don’t replace much gear as they get more BiS pieces, so crafting and enchanting tail off, but everyone will always need potions for raid night and will gladly pay to avoid farming.
I make gold selling 32 slot bags and raw enchanting mats