Timegating your community management

General Discussion
I get it, you want Blizzcon to be a big burst of great news for all the players.

But while you guys are timegating your community management, everyone is losing their minds to circular negativity.

You can keep telling yourselves that these forums aren't representative of the overall playerbase. And you're probably right about that.

But it's not just these forums. Its every wow forum. The wow subreddit. Most streams and their chats. YouTube comments.

Even in-game chats. Trade chat is full of it and I can't remember the last warfront where there wasn't someone in it talking about how garbage warfronts are. (I've been doing far too many of them trying to finish my last achievement)

The community has become a cesspool of negativity.
And honestly, I don't even blame that on the state of the game.

It's because you've gone silent in response to people's reactions.
The entire thing everyone was mad about is that it feels like our feedback from the alpha and beta was ignored....and your response to that is to go silent? Are you serious?

Stop timegating your community management.
The community is not as quick to recover as you seem to think it is. There is a lot of long-term damage being done thanks to your silence.
Agreed, they should just start hard-banhammering the people who are just here to push negativity. We've put up with it for too long. Keep the reasonable complainers - and just hard ban the people literally only here trying to destroy the game and community.
10/19/2018 08:17 AMPosted by Snowfox
Agreed, they should just start hard-banhammering the people who are just here to push negativity. We've put up with it for too long. Keep the reasonable complainers - and just hard ban the people literally only here trying to destroy the game and community.

And who decides that... you? Some other MVP blizzard knight? Slippery slope is slippery.
10/19/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Dîomedes

And who decides that... you? Some other MVP blizzard knight? Slippery slope is slippery.

The moderators obviously, they are the only ones with the power to ban.
I think banning people who are just saying how they feel is a step too far.

And I can't think of any way a forum moderator would be able to reasonably tell the difference between a frustrated player and someone who genuinely wants to spread negativity.

The simple fact is, if the main issues are addressed then more people will be satisfied. And if more people are satisfied, then they'll naturally push back against the negativity themselves.

And right now, the main issue in my opinion is that Blizzard is unwilling to communicate with us.

Well, you can help them with that. As someone who is apparently just here to push negativity (calling for bans, a negative action, against those you don't like), I suggest you remove yourself and save the mods the trouble.
10/19/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Tyriellais

Well, you can help them with that. As someone who is apparently just here to push negativity (calling for bans, a negative action, against those you don't like), I suggest you remove yourself and save the mods the trouble.

When has Snow ever pushed negativity to kill the game or community? I think I've seen a few posts where she politely and calmly disagrees with game direction, but that's it

I 100% agree to remove the doomsayers, they benefit nothing
10/19/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Druidboì
<span class="truncated">...</span>

When has Snow ever pushed negativity to kill the game or community? I think I've seen a few posts where she politely and calmly disagrees with game direction, but that's it

You'll note I definitely didn't call out anyone, I just called out certain behavior... but they went after me directly instead. That's really incredibly common when I make posts.. and they try to pin that on me... but I'm not doing that. I'm engaging in discussion, they're the one making direct personal attacks.
10/19/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Druidboì
10/19/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Tyriellais

Just there. “Banhammer people destroying the community”. You can’t destroy the community more than purging people from it.
Even if Blizzard started banning forum posters for negativity, that fixes nothing.

Because like i said in my post, the negativity exists far beyond here.

It's on almost every forum. It's on almost every YouTube video. It's almost the only thing on the subreddit(s). It's in wow streams and their chats.
It's in the in-game chats.
It's in other game's chats.
It is everywhere.

You can't stop the negativity by trying to silence the players.
It can only be stopped by Blizzard stopping their own silence.

We need more communication, not less.

Are you psychic? How are you able to discern what the thoughts and motives are of human beings behind keyboards that are thousands of miles away from you that you've never met?

How do you know any of them are trying to destroy a game they're sinking valuable time into?

How about instead of arbitrarily calling for bans on those deemed "unreasonable", how about instead of that you just let everyone speak their mind and let those who are ridiculous be laughed off into irrelevancy like the "Flat Earthers" of the internet.

Oh going fascist I see.
no one who's complaining is out to destroy the game.

what utter nonsense are you on about

What about people that have had mods change their posts or had their threatening posts deleted because the person wouldn't listen to poster describe a breakdown of a video?

The pendulum swings both ways. If its good enough for the masses it's good enough for you.
I haven't been on the forums in a long time and dumped reddit. I've been having more fun in the game since BfA dropped, just not letting other people's negativity get to me.

If the forums, reddit, youtube etc are so full of negativity that it's affecting your enjoyment, stop reading them. You might start having fun too!

Now I laugh and shake my head, wondering how I ever let any of it bother me.

(logs on, proceeds to have fun!)
10/19/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Snowfox

One of the CM's admitted that they don't moderate. They depend on us and reporting.
So long as there is no echo chamber as the forums just go quiet, then silent, then the game is still alive. If however the forums just become a hollow, "So what did you do outside the game today?" conversation, then the game is on its last lifeline.
10/19/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Cyniel
10/19/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Snowfox

One of the CM's admitted that they don't moderate. They depend on us and reporting.

so their job is literally doing nothing until some reports come in. well why in the hell aren't we community managers. there's spam everywhere.
The problem is the game is suffering due to implementation of bad systems. These systems contradict one another. And then things happen like when Lore had made his public mistake, and everyone (youtubers, the community, etc) had taken him to task on it. That kind of backlash was unexpected from the community, and I think even Blizz got blindsided from it because they weren't expecting this situation (one they created) to become so volatile.

To go dark is even worse though because after Lore had began communications (despite his opening statement being a stick to the hornet's nest), we had at least something. We need open communication at this point. We need someone to talk to us and basically admit that it's a mistake. It's fine to make mistakes. It's fine to have a problem. It's fine if they dunno the direction they wanna go.

But as someone else had said, including the OP. We gave mountains of feedback during alpha, beta, and now the live game. High profile bugs constantly make it to the live game, and it feels like we're play testing everything for them at this point. That's not fair. The game feels incomplete. Contradictions are present in all game modes. We've been begging for communication, and help, and receive nothing. Bad juju.