Should I invest in ele

Shaman
So with the announcement of the KT humans I am suddenly very gung-ho to make a KT shaman. I wouldn’t be opposed to playing enh/resto but I’m primarily interested in playing ele. According to my guildie pretty much all of the shaman specs rn are in a pretty sorry state.

Is 8.1 going to be kind to ele with the buffs or should I be rolling a KT boomkin instead? I’m not looking to top meters but I’d like to be considered for m+ and raids and all that. Also casual pvp too I guess
Unfortunately I don’t really see the changes as “buffs”...just more or less redistribution of what’s already there. Dmg still looks like it’s going to be pretty crappy
So ele is one of the worst performing specs for raiding
It is below average for M+
After the nerf to the 'cheese' lava shock azerite they're not great in pvp either.

Boomkins are average in raiding
Above average m+
One of the top specs for pvp

The 8.1 changes are not really all too amazing so far. They're certainly not game changing. I would say if you just want performance, stick with boomie.
11/02/2018 09:15 PMPosted by Dumat
After the nerf to the 'cheese' lava shock azerite they're not great in pvp either.

Above average m+

The 8.1 changes are not really all too amazing so far. They're certainly not game changing. I would say if you just want performance, stick with boomie.

That’s a bit discouraging. I’m not a huge fan of shapeshifting in general and would probably get the Glyph of Stars, but I wouldn’t be interested in playing the other specs.

Shaman on the other hand, I’ve enjoyed all 3 specs over the years and tuning is always a possibility in the future. I suppose I’m leaning towards shaman but I’ve never tried balance...only if balance isn’t good I’ll be stuck with a toon I don’t wanna play anymore
Look, at the end of the day. What do you want your shaman to be doing? Are you pushing for world first? Then shaman is a no. How bout pushing keys as high as you can get them? Again. Shaman is a no.

If your more into just doing normal raids, heroic raids. Keystones that are 10 and under.. as well as sticking to your guild to do said keystones. Shaman is a yes.

How about for fun? Is the shaman fun for you? Then that is another yes. Elemental isn't the strongest out there. Not by a long shot but if your enjoying the class and are not into "super mega dega omega high end content version 6.887" Then give shaman a trial, give it a go.

Someone has to be on the bottom of the meters, that is obvious. Ele has to put in a looot more work than others to lift themselves, but your damage will be okay for the content listed. If your raid actively sits people based on "dps" I guess it is up to you to make the call if your ele will cut it for raids or not.

Goodluck in your choice Sir and or Madam. Mayhaps you will find the life of a shaman to your liking. Or perhaps not.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
11/02/2018 10:32 PMPosted by Gron
Look, at the end of the day. What do you want your shaman to be doing? Are you pushing for world first? Then shaman is a no. How bout pushing keys as high as you can get them? Again. Shaman is a no.

If your more into just doing normal raids, heroic raids. Keystones that are 10 and under.. as well as sticking to your guild to do said keystones. Shaman is a yes.

How about for fun? Is the shaman fun for you? Then that is another yes. Elemental isn't the strongest out there. Not by a long shot but if your enjoying the class and are not into "super mega dega omega high end content version 6.887" Then give shaman a trial, give it a go.

Someone has to be on the bottom of the meters, that is obvious. Ele has to put in a looot more work than others to lift themselves, but your damage will be okay for the content listed. If your raid actively sits people based on "dps" I guess it is up to you to make the call if your ele will cut it for raids or not.

Goodluck in your choice Sir and or Madam. Mayhaps you will find the life of a shaman to your liking. Or perhaps not.

Thanks. I’ve been doing heroic/mythic uldir as a spriest so playing an underperforming class/spec wont be a culture shock for me. I’ll probably give shaman a shot then solely based on the fact that I know I enjoy all 3 specs
For M+ and heroic raiding ele is fine.
As long as you dont really like pvping in any serious capacity ele can work.
Elemental is super fun. Don't listen to the haters.

Terribly frustrating in BGs, but so long as you stay away from those it's great fun.
11/03/2018 04:01 PMPosted by Thunderbud
As long as you dont really like pvping in any serious capacity ele can work.

I PVP as ele fine for BGs and RBGs.
50-60k ES is sorta my jam.
11/02/2018 06:53 PMPosted by Aeroliets
Unfortunately I don’t really see the changes as “buffs”...just more or less redistribution of what’s already there. Dmg still looks like it’s going to be pretty crappy

How?

Stormkeeper change alone will give ele a ton more damage in m+ and any add heavy raid which has phases of ST and AOE damage.
So I’ve settled on shaman to try and relive my MoP glory days when I could cast LB while running and spam chain lava ascendance in RBGs to top meters.

I know this isn’t really a thing anymore but I look back on my shaman days fondly and realized that numbers can change but class identity tends to remain relatively static. I don’t enjoy being THAT much of a treehugging hippie to want to play all the druid specs, so if balance ever got gutted I would be JohnTravoltaLookingAround.gif aka stuck with a toon I don’t want to play anymore
11/04/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Slimeseason
So I’ve settled on shaman to try and relive my MoP glory days when I could cast LB while running and spam chain lava ascendance in RBGs to top meters.

I know this isn’t really a thing anymore but I look back on my shaman days fondly and realized that numbers can change but class identity tends to remain relatively static. I don’t enjoy being THAT much of a treehugging hippie to want to play all the druid specs, so if balance ever got gutted I would be JohnTravoltaLookingAround.gif aka stuck with a toon I don’t want to play anymore

Get lava shock azerite traits.
Run SE and SK
Run around looking like a Sith lord slinging lightning and slamming people for 50-60k ES crits.

Had a 140k ES on a FC without buffs.
11/04/2018 02:58 PMPosted by Madalynn
11/04/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Slimeseason

Get lava shock azerite traits.
Run SE and SK
Run around looking like a Sith lord slinging lightning and slamming people for 50-60k ES crits.

Had a 140k ES on a FC without buffs.

Sheeeeeesh

I seem to recall Echo of the Elements used to double dip with the old ele Mastery? All I know is sometimes it’d look like I’d get 3-4 lava bursts off one keystroke
11/02/2018 10:04 PMPosted by Slimeseason
11/02/2018 09:15 PMPosted by Dumat

Above average m+

That’s a bit discouraging. I’m not a huge fan of shapeshifting in general and would probably get the Glyph of Stars, but I wouldn’t be interested in playing the other specs.

Shaman on the other hand, I’ve enjoyed all 3 specs over the years and tuning is always a possibility in the future. I suppose I’m leaning towards shaman but I’ve never tried balance...only if balance isn’t good I’ll be stuck with a toon I don’t wanna play anymore

Not sure if you've peeped the KT druid forms, but they actually look very good. The moonkin does look a bit strange though, and may not be your cup of tea.

11/04/2018 08:00 AMPosted by Akston
11/02/2018 06:53 PMPosted by Aeroliets

How?

Stormkeeper change alone will give ele a ton more damage in m+ and any add heavy raid which has phases of ST and AOE damage.

SK buff only affects LB. In m+ you won't be using SK for single target save on bosses.

The changes themselves are fairly underwhelming. IF buff gives us a bit of mobility and sustain damage, SoP is essentially strictly a LB buff if played correctly, but does offer some synergy with SK, and MoTE being moved tiers gives us a higher skill level talent option that will synergize well with IF. I'm reserving final judgement until changes go live, but as of right now, druid may still be a safer bet. I might wait until 8.1 goes live to make a final decision.