What is Sharding?

Classic Discussion
I came to this forum today and saw all these posts about sharding and could not find a thread explaining it.

So why are you upset? Is it some visual thing?
Baby don’t hurt me no more..
An overpowered nelf priest racial spell.
If there is an X amount of players in one zone then x amount well be phased, being still in the same zone but you won't be able to see them.

I think that's what it is.
11/03/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Drpane
If there is an X amount of players in one zone then x amount well be phased, being still in the same zone but you won't be able to see them.

I think that's what it is.

Ya well, I am pro-changer but that seems like a bad idea. Well, I guess blizzard does not want to make 100 servers...

Thanks for a response. :)
https://clips.twitch.tv/UnusualComfortableStrawberryKappa

This is sharding. It's a gameplay thing not a visual thing. Also his reaction says it all, enjoying the vanilla feels then BAM sharded
When a zone becomes over populated, some players will be seamlessly moved into another instance of that zone. The problem occurs when people want to partake in epic battles, or fighting against epic bosses that are in the open world.
Well, I am pretty sure the Demo version could not have been otherwise. Hopefully we don't see it in Classic. :)
A way of ensuring maximum profit for share holders over actually providing a real experience. Basically it's a way of shooting the community in the head execution style. It will be DOA if we have sharding.
11/03/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Holylr
Well, I am pretty sure the Demo version could not have been otherwise. Hopefully we don't see it in Classic. :)

You should read the blue post, as of right now blizzard's stance is that sharding will be in classic
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769548630#post-15
Phasing - Quests or other actions you perform radically alter the zone. You no longer can view the zone or people in the "old zone" until they transition to the "new zone".

Cross-Realm sharding - Players from all realms are evenly (supposedly) distributed across all realms. Realm identity is effectively lost.

Sharding - Players in a zone or location, although on the same server, may not be able to see or interact with one another. They will both be able to do the same mobs/quests right on top of each other as if neither of them exist simultaneously. Joining groups may shift you out of your current "shard" into another one, effectively making you vanish from sight of people around you. Mines and herbs vanish from right before you because someone in another shard got it or some other technical reason.

TLDR: It makes Vanilla DOA.
Sharding should just be a synonym for Sharting. Because that's what it is, a huge skid mark across Vanilla.
11/03/2018 06:23 AMPosted by Droodguy
11/03/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Holylr

You should read the blue post, as of right now blizzard's stance is that sharding will be in classic
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769548630#post-15

I still hope they will just add more servers.
11/03/2018 06:33 AMPosted by Andonus
Sharding should just be a synonym for Sharting. Because that's what it is, a huge skid mark across Vanilla.

Sharting hahaha made me smile this Saturday morning
11/03/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Brisey
When a zone becomes over populated, some players will be seamlessly moved into another instance of that zone.

No!

11/03/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Brisey
The problem occurs when people want to partake in epic battles, or fighting against epic bosses that are in the open world.

No!

Only new players entering the zone are moved to the new shard.

If you are in a shard, you will stay in that shard. Forever.

But if you join a group, you move to the shard of the group.
If you leave that group, you may be moved to another shard.

So, if other players suddenly vanish before your eyes,
either you or the other player has joined or left a group.
It means that if you and your friend are in the same zone together, and that zone is populated, you might not see one another.
11/03/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Beardhat
It means that if you and your friend are in the same zone together, and that zone is populated, you might not see one another.

If you are not in a group, and you entered the zone at different times, and the zone is full.
11/03/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Valérie
11/03/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Beardhat

If you are not in a group, and you entered the zone at different times, and the zone is full.
Thats not the point, and you know it.

Stop defending an anti-MMO mechanic.
11/03/2018 09:39 AMPosted by Beardhat
Thats not the point, and you know it.

Stop defending an anti-MMO mechanic.
\

Of course that's the point. It's an anti-lag and anti-crash mechanic.