What is Sharding?

Classic Discussion
It means there may be multiple copies of the same zone on the same server, if the amount of players in the zone is large enough. The players in the zone are then split into the various copies.

It’s kind of like havikg two separate groups going into the Deadmines. They are doing the same dungeon, but their experiences there are not related to the other group, nor do they see it.

The advantage of sharding for Blizzard us they can better control the gameplay experience you have.
The downside is that it makes the world feel fake and undermines community.
11/03/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Faceroll
The downside is that it makes the world feel fake

For the players, that are the first in a new shard, yes. absolutely.

The developers have to make a decision between
(1) sharding, especially in the duel zones
(2) extreme lags and server crash

I prefer (1), some of you prefer (2).
WoW should do it like EQ does it on their Classic servers. There are "shards" of zones but you have to physically pick to them and you can move around them if you want. You can even pick your group around to different shards if you want. It makes it 100% voluntary, you dont have to, but if you want to you can.

I dont really care much about sharding, cause it doesnt actually effect gameplay at all other than who you see and that really isnt a huge deal. I dont care if I see joeblowtauren or not to be honest.
11/03/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Valérie

Thats why servers exist and why queues exist.

You don't need sharding when you already have servers.

Please do not post this nonsense.

Servers exist to create a stable enviroment for players to share a world together.

Sharding makes a shared world impossible.
If Blizzard can’t make classic work with today’s 24+ core procs and server hardware, flash SANs etc, they have ZERO business being in the MMO business.

Zero.

WoW is/was and always will be a community game. Sharding is anti-community.
6 months after launch and blizzard scales the shard player size to 500. No one will notice.
11/03/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Droodguy
https://clips.twitch.tv/UnusualComfortableStrawberryKappa

This is sharding. It's a gameplay thing not a visual thing. Also his reaction says it all, enjoying the vanilla feels then BAM sharded

That clip is extremely depressing. The look on his face and how his Hype instantly vanished says it all.

I feel like Blizzard should have just hired the Nostralius team to create and run an official Classic server. Then people might actually get what they want, and Blizzard would not be showing us just how absolutely clueless they are as to what Classic actually was. They are really just embarrassing themselves at this point.

To those white knights who think sharding is actually necessary in 2018.. i bid you head to youtube and do a simple search on the final minutes of Nostralius.

If a private server can carry that load, there is literally no excuse for a multi billion dollar company to struggle with it.
11/03/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Beardhat
Servers exist to create a stable enviroment for players to share a world together.

We're talking about zones, not servers.

Dedicated realm server hardware don't exist anymore in the classic sense since Tanaan. There are no realm servers anymore. They are only shard servers. And a group of realms use the same shard servers.

In Classic we had a Kalimdor server, a Easter Kingdoms server, a Dungeon server, and a Home server (database). Today we have only a few Home servers, and a lot of instance servers (dungeons and shards).

11/03/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Beardhat
Sharding makes a shared world impossible.

Server crashs and lagging makes a shared world experience impossible.

Please re-read Lore's reply:
11/02/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Lore
To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

They know about the sharding problem. But they prefer stable servers.

This is sharding. It's a gameplay thing not a visual thing. Also his reaction says it all, enjoying the vanilla feels then BAM sharded

I love how he's so excited and having fun and it's almost like Blizzards "fun" detector went off and some guy at blizz hq dressed in a security outfit for some reason screams "NOT TODAY" and smashes the make a player sad button.
It's when people come in out of nowhere or you don't see some people even when their on the same realm, it was never a problem until Cataclysm came out, this is not a vanilla experience.

I don't really care much about sharding, cause it doesn't actually effect gameplay at all other than who you see and that really isnt a huge deal.

Which is a hilarious statement because it's one of the most gameplay impacting systems in modern WoW.

The player in the video accepts a group invitation.
And because of that, he is moved to another shard.

Without sharding he would enjoy several seconds of lag while duelling.

11/03/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Bláys
with today’s 24+ core procs

Yeah. 24 core proc = 24 times the speed. :-)

Smart.
If it takes 10 musicians to play a piece of music in 3 minutes.
How long would it take for 20 musicians?
11/03/2018 06:11 AMPosted by Koushi
An overpowered nelf priest racial spell.

/confirmed
11/03/2018 10:12 AMPosted by Ristra
6 months after launch and blizzard scales the shard player size to 500. No one will notice.

Thats what I was thinking. That sharding is part of the modern engine and that eliminating it completely could have some unforeseen issues. But I bet they could change the values of when it shards to such a number that it wont create a new shard once the initial wave steadys out.

And a couple of the most vocal people here will quietly wander back after their more recent Pserver gets shut down, hoping nobody notices them.

(Assuming the gameplay adjustments are comprehensive enough. As of right now I find those 1000% more concerning than Sharding.)
11/03/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Valérie

Nost was able to handle 10k players on a single server. Blizzard should be able to handle 2-3k.
11/03/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Valérie
11/03/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Brisey
When a zone becomes over populated, some players will be seamlessly moved into another instance of that zone.

No!

11/03/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Brisey
The problem occurs when people want to partake in epic battles, or fighting against epic bosses that are in the open world.

No!

Only new players entering the zone are moved to the new shard.

If you are in a shard, you will stay in that shard. Forever.

But if you join a group, you move to the shard of the group.
If you leave that group, you may be moved to another shard.

So, if other players suddenly vanish before your eyes,
either you or the other player has joined or left a group.
That is false. You can be moved to another shard at any time when the servers decide they need to redistribute the population better.

I've been talking to friends in major cities, ungrouped, when suddenly most of them disappear and other players are standing there instead.

I've been fighting creatures out in the zones while not in a group, no where close to a zone border, not in an area affected by phasing, when suddenly they have disappeared and other creatures appear in random places nearby that were not there a second before.

These things do not happen often but they do happen and it's annoying beyond belief when it does.

Whatever Blizzard's intent for sharding, assuming their intent is what you state, that is not how it is working out in practice consistently.

It doesn't change the fact that sharding does not belong in MMORPGs.

11/03/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Faceroll
Nost was able to handle 10k players on a single server. Blizzard should be able to handle 2-3k.

I don't think their fear is 2-3k on a server or even 10k on a server. Their fear is having 2-3k sitting on Northshire Abbey or Valley of Trials at the same instant. That does cause massive server instability to have such a huge number of players in a small area at one time.

We've seen that happen on past launch days when everyone converges on the same NPC to start the new quests for a new expansion.

But we managed to survive those times without sharding and players will continue to do so without sharding in the future. Most players are mature enough to understand what's going on and deal with it. Those who can't - they have modern retail to go play and get sharded to their heart's content.

No sharding for Classic, Blizzard. Please.

11/03/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Cuina

And a couple of the most vocal people here will quietly wander back after their more recent Pserver gets shut down, hoping nobody notices them.

(Assuming the gameplay adjustments are comprehensive enough. As of right now I find those 1000% more concerning than Sharding.)
Some of the more vocal people do not and have not played on private servers.

They want the WoW of the past, not the trash it became in part because of things like LFD and sharding.

The game play issues seen in the demo don't worry me. I've done more than enough beta testing over the years to know that those are the types of things that get fixed in the later stages of beta testing, assuming the dev team cares enough about the quality of their product to make the effort (the current dev team for the modern game clearly doesn't).

We can only hope the dev team assigned to Classic have a passion for Classic and care as much about it as past developers for WoW.
I've definitely been shunted mid-world boss fight into another server. To the point where we were in combat and had him at <20% and it just popped us away.
11/03/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Valérie
Only new players entering the zone are moved to the new shard.

If you are in a shard, you will stay in that shard. Forever.

This was not my experience at all. For one example, I was camping the lost mail in Dalaran when it first came out and only appeared in one spot. I got sharded in/out several times in the same play session without moving any more than periodically jumping up to stay active. I could tell I was sharded because first I was surrounded by a crowd and then I wasn't. I was talking with another person who first appeared and then was gone even though we were still talking.

I've also been sharded while killing world bosses. Just nothing like having a mob being taken away from you when you pretty much had soloed the thing and it was almost dead and then being in a crowd with a dead corpse with a timer on it.

I got sharded A LOT as Ally on my low population realm of Garrosh. Pretty much every time (7 out of 10 that I kept count) I tried to meet up with someone in Stormwind we were grouped and able to see each other's dot on the map but were unable to see/interact with each other until we moved out to Elwynn.

I also got sharded a lot on Zul'jin, a full primarily horde realm where I would suddenly be the only hordie surrounded by a sea of grey mobs and orange names. Broken Shore was particularly bad for that. When you are on a realm that is roughly 85% horde, you should never be a 10% minority.

My single guild group on Zul'jin that was doing the quest for the mount in Legion got sharded away from each other multiple times in the course of doing the quest even in extremely low density zones. Again, we could still see each other's dots but our characters could not interact.

People in the same group, especially from the same realm, should NEVER be sharded away from each other but that's not how it works at all. Except that RP realms have an exemption from that.

Sharding and CRZ are the antithesis of everything that vanilla/old WoW was about. It is the death of the game as we knew it, and then scaling zones were the final shark jump. The thing is, it is cheaper for the company and makes better use of the company's resources while spoiling the play experience for the user -- and is why I have quit the game.
11/03/2018 10:44 AMPosted by Valérie

The player in the video accepts a group invitation.
And because of that, he is moved to another shard.

Without sharding he would enjoy several seconds of lag while duelling.

11/03/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Bláys
with today’s 24+ core procs

Yeah. 24 core proc = 24 times the speed. :-)

Smart.
If it takes 10 musicians to play a piece of music in 3 minutes.
How long would it take for 20 musicians?

So keeping up with data is like playing to a metronome? Lawl Yikes.