The endless AP farm will kill this game.

General Discussion
I get it, grinding is part of mmo's. That's fine. Good even. But creating a grind for a core game mechanic that has no feasible end in sight is going to be the number one cause of player burn out.

And somehow it's even worse than in legion. At least once you got concordance you could pull back on the grind.

But now you are punished for grinding, because the level requirements for trait rings go up on new gear based on your neck level as you loot it.

So now there isn't even a "good enough" point.

Simple solution: cap neck levels so that at max level your neck will be the same ilvl as mythic raid loot for the current patch. Free us to devote time to alts, or whatever other content you choose to do when not raiding.
I agree. I think it hurt Legion and its hurting BFA. Its one thing to grind but there is a point when its just too much which is why we dont have vanilla style reps anymore.
It's hurting BfA even more. I know many that have quit with Azerite being the #1 reason.
11/03/2018 11:51 PMPosted by Sacrosànct
the level requirements for trait rings go up on new gear based on your neck level as you loot it

Really? You sure this wasn't debunked a long time ago?
11/04/2018 12:09 AMPosted by Melinsifu
the level requirements for trait rings go up on new gear based on your neck level as you loot it

My Warlock got the shoulders from the WF world boss. Final trait was lvl 24. A few weeks later I got them again, this time it was lvl 28. So you tell me.
It's not even like the neck has meaningful progression, It's just another carrot on a stick for us to chase. At least with legion we had the class hall/artifact weapon/hero fantasy so the AP grind wasn't actually that awful because you sort of hit an end with it at some point. With BFA we're just a bunch of dickheads in a strange land trying to get some boats from some other people while attempting to clean up the capri sun we spilled everywhere, but we don't have any napkins and we're just crawling on the floor sucking it up with the straw.
I don't chase AP at all. Neck is at 27 and that's just from bosses and the few WQ that have to do with dailies. I can't do anything about the system but I don't have to care about trying to grind out the AP.
I disagree. This is one of many frustrations in a game that has few satisfactions to balance out the annoyance.

Altogether the sum is great than the parts.
The problem with the neck is the exact same problem leveling itself has. Sure, the levels where you get a talent or a new ability are cool, but every other level is just a minor stat boost.

Been debunked a million times and I don’t know how people keep saying this lie
11/04/2018 12:34 AMPosted by Elynos

A picture says a thousand words.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9doju7/this_azerite_gating_is_complete_bull!@#$_this/

Wanna keep peddling that line?
You sound like Rastlin bro :)
11/04/2018 12:34 AMPosted by Elynos

Naw it goes up man, it is based on the current level of your neck. It isn't a secret. The only peeps that don't know about it are the white knights too busy defending Blizzard to actually realize (become fully aware of (something) as a fact; understand clearly.) it was going on.
At this point I actually just a few days ago unlocked full azerite traits on my 375 3 pieces. I really don't know what i'm doing these Azerite world quests for anymore, but it's become a habit. Guess it works out in the long run because it will probably benefit the necklace still - Not like this is an annoyance though, I like to do World Quests
I dont even know what level my HoA is. I dont look at it, I dont care about it. It takes care of itself. That's a problem from a design standpoint - I'd rather derive fun from it - but I'll take apathy over frustration.

Dont look at it, dont grind it, dont chase it. You'll feel better and have more fun.
There are way more real problems with BFA.

AZ farming is fine since it doesn't have a significant impact for most players.

It really doesn't matter and i'd rather farm AZ than rep. However, not farming AZ is far less punishing than refusing to farm rep.
11/04/2018 12:46 AMPosted by Beastbashx
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Naw it goes up man, it is based on the current level of your neck. It isn't a secret. The only peeps that don't know about it are the white knights too busy defending Blizzard to actually realize (become fully aware of (something) as a fact; understand clearly.) it was going on.

Gear obtained through WQ have lower requirements. Neck Level does not factor in : https://www.wowhead.com/guides/azerite-armor-guide#requirements-for-unlocking-traits..

Stop worrying about neck level. It goes up.
11/04/2018 01:24 AMPosted by Rhawreborn

It really doesn't matter and i'd rather farm AZ than rep. However, not farming AZ is far less punishing than refusing to farm rep.

That is categorically untrue.

Azerite will perpetually and indefinitely increase your ilvl and give/prevent access to AP armor perks.
The reputation, only prevents you from gaining 45ish ilvl.

Reputation gain is finite, azerite grind is as far as we currently know, is effectively infinite. if they made (And they are) the champions of azeroth reputation more accessible, it would have a smaller actual impact than improving the processes by which players gain or require azerite, because basic math. The effects of 39k rep being readily available to an alt is chump change compared to even a 5% increase in harvesting rate for Azerite. 45ish vs 5% increase on infinite.

So not farming Rep is EASILY less punishing than not farming Azerite,as the reputation only provides you with a limited and small amount of ilvl and some cinematic scenes at the world heart. not farming Azerite means you miss out on potentially infinite ilvls and perk unlocks.

As for the actual impact, you say most players are not impacted by Azerite levels? it depends on what you mean by impacted, because EVERYONE is definitely effected, its just how much they care. A very casual player wont really understand/care that they have azerite level 14 and only have honored with Champs of Azeroth, Mythic runners care a great deal, needing and wanting every possible edge they can get, even a 2 ilvl increase on a neck item is worth the grind. Then there is the spectrum of everyone in between.
11/04/2018 01:24 AMPosted by Rhawreborn

Are you kidding? The rep is easy. I got revered with all faction on my two alts without even trying.
If you're tired of doing it, stop. I don't worry about it. AP is my second to last choice of rewards when choosing my dailies.