Do the Level Squish

General Discussion
11/04/2018 02:38 AMPosted by Leowulf
If someone asked you to count from 1-120 for a cookie would you do that?

I'd count to 1000 for a cookie.
No
Bring back the pre mists type of talents trees. It gave people a reason to look forward to leveling. I am not saying every other level should be a new talent but even every 5 levels would at least be some sort of reward. As it stands a good number don;t even spec a talent until they hit level 100
I can see the points for and against the squish... but what really struck me on this thread was the concept of leveling up bonuses.

I think that'd be fantastic and a good idea to implement no matter what. Unless skills are parsed down to be three parts each (a la fire blast - one charge, two charge, guaranteed crit), it's unlikely that you could ever "gain" a skill for all 120 levels. But things that FEEL rewarding but don't really require class balancing... that's a smart idea.

Gear. A rep token. A chance to get a leveling stone that grants you a level (but make it rare enough, like you receive it 3-5 times between 1-120). Crafting materials if you've chosen a profession. Buffs that last an hour or two like increased movement speed upon killing. Many ideas - all of which don't really impact endgame.

Cool!
Don't evdn understand the purpose of a level squish. Just to make 1 to max quicker? And skip the content Blizz too the time to create?
120 levels is to many. It wasn’t as bad when they used to reduce the xp needed and mob heath at regular intervals (mid and then late exspansion) to make it go faster. Then came 7.3. And they increased needed xp and made killing things longer by reducing our power and increasing mob hit points.

So a squish in one solution. Devide by 2. Cool but devide the total xp by as well so it takes half the time. Otherwise don’t mess with anything.to be honest if they just devide total do by 2 then the 120 levels wouldn’t be a problem. Might not mess with the xp required for the current exspansion.

Alternative solution. Keep 1-60 the same. But add exploration areas and maybe some WQ starting around 30.

Now here is the interesting part. All exspansions are available starting at 60. Each one has 10 levels. But those levels are separate and only apply when doing content from that exspansion. Gear would be locked by exspansion as well, and you would switch gear when you switch exspansions. Your bank and inventory as well. This would allow for all previous expansions to have active max level content. Or if your new toon never wants to set foot in northrend they wouldn’t need to.

Example new character gets to 60 and goes strait to bfa and levels to bfa10, goes raiding and has a good time. A few weeks later they decide they want to go raid mop. So the go to Pandaria and level up, gear up, and raid. They now have 80 levels, 60 vanilla, 10 bfa, and 10 mop. Whenever they between mop and bfa they automatically equip their appropriate gear. Of course a current max level toon would be max in all current exspansions. And when a new exspansion hits, you go and do your ten levels, gear, raid, whatever.
I don't care what the numbers are and getting more abilities doesn't matter to me either. I just want to level faster and less tediously. The End. :)
11/04/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Solarwynds
I don't care what the numbers are and getting more abilities doesn't matter to me either. I just want to level faster and less tediously. The End. :)

It is already fast.

You can level from 1 to 120 faster than it took to level from 1 to 85 back in the day.

In 2011 people used to brag when they leveled a hunter to max in ~72 hours.

It does not matter how fast it is, it does not feel fast!
I'll give you a great argument why a level squish is needed:

It really sucks to climb 120 levels to just play WOW. No matter how fast you go, the process takes at minimum a week or two, maybe more. I haven't leveled from 1 since boosts became available and while I'm happy to spend $60 to avoid the drudgery of leveling, I'd welcome to opportunity to do it if it didn't suck so much.
I don't think that a level squish is the answer.

However, something does have to be done about how long it takes to get to 120.

They need to revert some of the xp nerfs that they did. It needs to be easier (even for newbies) to level up. At least till 100.

Dungeons need to provide enough xp as to make them a viable way of leveling again.

On top of that, they need to get rid of heirlooms (stay with me) and replace them with a tabard that gives 100% (or better) extra xp.

I feel that heirlooms significantly take away from your leveling experience. Those of you who leveled without them will recall that feeling you get when an upgrade drops. And that chase of new equipment needs to return to the game.
11/04/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Yasudra
However, something does have to be done about how long it takes to get to 120.

You guys gotta be more specific than that, how many hours played do you think it should take to go from 1-120 with heirlooms?
I don’t know. I don’t mind leveling but I need more exp per quest/mob. It feels like progression vs end game which slows down significantly. You can’t keep adding max levels to characters, the grind just gets longer.
As unrewarding as leveling is now I'm sure as hell not going to do it if it takes 2 to 3 times longer between levels
It takes ~60 hours or less to get a toon from 1-110 with heirlooms

incorrect.

each person takes their own time to level.. on what source/information do you base such claim?

if anything ask them to make 1-110 less miserable after the 5th time.
The biggest issue is that most of the levels feel empty. There is no actual feeling of progression on off levels where you don't get a talent or skill.

That's why a squish is being recommended. It's the cop out way to handle all of the pruning and the scaling.

The better solution would be to give the character something more frequently. Add some trees between talent levels that give us some flavor options with tertiary stats.

Or better yet, give us something like that artifact tree while we level. Where instead of AP, EXP and levels are the currency. New skills could be our gold traits with ranks, and we can pick the paths and earn them however we want. At the very end, we'll have the whole thing unlocked and we'll feel like we built our character.

Best part is, it can exist separately from the other tree.

Another thing we could all use, is something like the Enlightenment buff across every class. Give us a reason to visit trainers again. A daily quest to buff our rate of EXP gained for an hour, just like monks get.

To top all this off, add some flavor to the old world. Give us treasures to hunt and bonus objectives.

Or don't do any of this, IDK. My whole point is that a squish wouldn't be necessary if they just put some work into the levels themselves, to make them feel less static and more rewarding.

There's absolutely no reason they couldn't do this. I mean heck, they hired an entire team to make classic to run on our subscriptions. Get a dedicated team to work on this part of the live game that so many of us still play.
How about a sequel. Seriously, if we are at the point of having to nuke the levels down it really is time for a new game here.
11/04/2018 03:09 AMPosted by Shelldin
People hate losing things and having things taken away from them.

The overwhelming majority of levels are useless fluff. You get nothing new at all from 110-120.

You average 1 ability (including passives) about every 5 levels. Most of them don't alter gameplay one jot because of level and item level scaling and rotations built around Mastery (level 80) and max level.

Cut 120 down to 60 and you'll get a new ability roughly every 2 levels and a new talent every 10. Those abilities can also be granted at much better periods in the leveling process since they won't need to be spread out over such a huge number of levels.

Open your spell book and count everything there.

My WW Monk has 29.
My HDH has 22.

That's 29 abilities, several passives, spread over 110 levels. That's a whole heap of boring tedium waiting to get some good functionality going.

Compress that to 60 and it looks much better right?
they could just come up with a talent tree again, and actually add stuff to it instead of coming up with crap like Azerite. the levels aren't the problem, its the lack of meaningful progression.
11/04/2018 06:41 AMPosted by Xyona
It takes ~60 hours or less to get a toon from 1-110 with heirlooms

incorrect.

each person takes their own time to level.. on what source/information do you base such claim?

if anything ask them to make 1-110 less miserable after the 5th time.

Yeah you can take as long as you want to level but using my experience as reference on how long it took to level a toon from 1-110 in Battle for Azeroth, doing only quests with full heirlooms.

It took me ~60 hours the first time, ~55 hours the second time, and I'm confident I could do it in less than 50 hours if I apply the lessons learned from the last attempt.

BTW that is not even close to how fast people are leveling right now using much more optimal and repetitive strategies.
11/04/2018 07:05 AMPosted by Suhuy
they could just come up with a talent tree again, and actually add stuff to it instead of coming up with crap like Azerite. the levels aren't the problem, its the lack of meaningful progression.

Qft