Resto Shaman M+3 at 345: FAIL!

Shaman
Help!!

I could not keep the tank or myself alive in Freehold M+3.

Please look at my gear, stats and talents and let me know how to improve.

I have been healing a LONG time on this toon, its always been do-able.

Freehold pulls had me spamming healing surge til I went OOM>

The thing was a disaster. I died repeatedly to the sharks

This is not happening on my holy priest.

What is up? How can I improve? Or are restos now just kind of …..in limbo?

Any help is appreciated. Be cruel, I can take it!"!

I would rather be better then just complain but.

What the heck is going on??
11/05/2018 09:22 PMPosted by Ayahuascas
Help!!

I’m by no means an expert. I felt the same as you for a while. Do whatever you can to improve your crit%. Crit helps you replenish mana faster. I’m pushing 26% and put it above the other stats. Versatility after crit. That will help with your throughput. I prefer my talent build. torrents isn’t very valuable to me anymore. Consider changing out of vigor and high tide for dungeons. In the span of 1 globalcooldown I can instant heal for 30k or more with unleash life and riptide.

Also keep in mind our top current Azerite traits might be more important than 5 or 10 ilvl.

Do you know much about the tank you were healing? The tank I run with knows his stuff and I have zero issue healing.
I'm not too familiar with shaman healing but usually in M+ if the tank (or anyone elee) is taking too much damage the group might be doing something wrong..

I can however give you some advise about the dungeon in particular.. for Freehold the thrash before first boss might give you some trouble because Shamans can't dispel poison, and some adds apply it to the tank it stacks too, so having a Paladin, Druid, or Monk would be helpful for that, or you can use CC, and/or don't pull too big and wait for it to drop after the pull. (For high keys most groups just stealth to skip that thrash). There's also guys that toss the tank around to the position of a ranged player.

Latter on, when fighting the rats, the big one throws traps at players that they can dodge, but most players doing lower keys won't dodge them; there's also an add that marks a spot on the ground and charges to it, stunning everyone on his path, just not be on his path, and some spell-casts that ideally should be interrupted.

For the third boss the sharks hit really hard, you are not supposed to face-tank them instead ranged are supposed to kite them and try to make them run into the meat on the ground, it slows them down.
Thanks so much. Those are great ideas.

I also re did my talents. They were based on youtube videos and were awful.

I took wellspring and downpouir and earth shield …

Did some heroics with those talents and ez.

I need to work up to M+2 now..I did it on my priest and made it through Freehold on that level.

On a related note, I took my priest for a few runs tonight to compare. SO MUCH EASIER!
11/05/2018 11:27 PMPosted by Ayahuascas
Thanks so much. Those are great ideas.

I also re did my talents. They were based on youtube videos and were awful.

I took wellspring and downpouir and earth shield …

Did some heroics with those talents and ez.

I need to work up to M+2 now..I did it on my priest and made it through Freehold on that level.

On a related note, I took my priest for a few runs tonight to compare. SO MUCH EASIER!

Priest is in a good place, I have one too but Shaman healing play style fits my preference more. I heal better with the proper style versus what’s tuned properly.

If you enjoy Shaman play style it gets much better with proper gear/stats/traits. Unfortunately it’s our life for now.
Having both a priest and a shaman I have to say that it's is at least 100 times easier to heal content as a priest right now.
Agreed. Max level sham and priest, can confirm. Just enjoy shaman aesthetically more. So I'm dealing with the pain.
Many have already stated it, but in terms of raw healing, nothing is going to beat holy priest. They are the phat output healers. But as a holy priest you lack the utility of other healing classes, whether its DPS, good tank defensives, etc.

However, as a 345 shaman, I ran a +7 and +8 last night. I also +2ed a 3 key over the weekend. Yous hould be able to run a +3 fine, especially a freehold.

Here is the best way I can put it. A Priest is a healer for failures. An Hpriest has so much healing output, CDs, etc, that they can compensate for bad people to an extend. No other healer has that luxury.

Also, this week is a big healer check. with quaking slowing down your healing, and bursting causing everyone to have a DoT, it was very healer check today.
If you are failing a 3, it is mechanical issues over gear/character. I have gotten through 9-10s. It is mechanics that mess people up over raw numbers. You need to utilize your entire kit. Your stun really helps. Hexing an uninterputable cast is good. Interupt everything that's big. Purge the rough buffs. Clense the bad debuffs. Use earth elemental to buy time to heal a tank on trash. If you dont, a bad tank dies. The best healer can't save a bad tank, but you can make their lives easier.
The shark issue is mitigated by knowing when to have the group topped off so you can prep for ghost wolf kiting also if you are closer to boss than an rdps it seems more likely to choose them. Also doing that boss with full melee is just a pain. Outside of that the instance is heavily reliant on dps not standing in !@#$. Such as grape shot, green %^-* bird charge cannons whirlwinds blue aqua blast circles and so on. Outside of shark boss I bet your dps was the problem as it usually is.
11/06/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Neonjoe
If you are failing a 3, it is mechanical issues over gear/character. I have gotten through 9-10s.

No achievements listed for these supposed 9-10 M+s--or even a 5 for that matter. Also who knows what "gotten through" means. 2 hours and 40 wipes? These forums are full of boasting idiots who don't have the achievements to back up their claims.

This goes for the other people claiming to get through 7s and 8s @ ilvl 345. I call a big stinking pile of horse #$%^. The only way this is possible is if you were carried through by massively over geared DPS/tanks. I'm at ilvl 358, and we BARELY made a +7 yesterday by two seconds with a tank and all DPS doing at or near 10k dps.

The point of all of this, is that you should be struggling in a +3 at ilvl 345. Welcome to RSHAM!

Your talents look fine for mythics--a lot of people recommend Unleash Life over Undulation--I've found both to be viable though. Ascendance has saved me from wiping as well, just a couple of things to think about.
True.

Group make up means a lot. Get a DK Tank and your golden. I’m 367 and flasked and I could hardly keep the group alive in a +6 motherload, beat the timer but it was ruff. I don’t do many mythic + due to this. But then again if everyone is standing in fire, it’s not your fault.

11/06/2018 01:57 PMPosted by Poncia
If you are failing a 3, it is mechanical issues over gear/character. I have gotten through 9-10s.

No achievements listed for these supposed 9-10 M+s--or even a 5 for that matter. Also who knows what "gotten through" means. 2 hours and 40 wipes? These forums are full of boasting idiots who don't have the achievements to back up their claims.

This goes for the other people claiming to get through 7s and 8s @ ilvl 345. I call a big stinking pile of horse #$%^. The only way this is possible is if you were carried through by massively over geared DPS/tanks. I'm at ilvl 358, and we BARELY made a +7 yesterday by two seconds with a tank and all DPS doing at or near 10k dps.

The point of all of this, is that you should be struggling in a +3 at ilvl 345. Welcome to RSHAM!
11/06/2018 02:05 PMPosted by Cittron
Group make up means a lot. Get a DK Tank and your golden.

I prefer a brewmaster monk than a dk... Earthen wall totem can block stagger ticks, almost giving you an actual "tank" cd. Was a tad more enjoyable then healing a dk. For me at least.
What a great community here. I feel a lot better now.

I am levelling a holy palle for mythic + progression. I really lack the confidence to use my R shaman for anything higher then a guild run .

I was so busy topping the tank up beyond 25 per cent that I nearly died and by then the dps was almost dead, then I could not heal myself from the sharks or ghost wolf because the others were almost dead by the time I did!

Holy priest and holy palle ftw....

Discipline priest maybe one day..but dang thats an even harder play style with too much to think about as the dps bath in green!
The higher keys you get your talents may vary more.

If it's heavy tank healing, you can opt to run with Undulation/ES/FF/Ascendance but if you mess up spell rotations with this you can get punished harder.

Otherwise, a standard that works for anything until higher keys is something like UL/Echo/Earthen/Downpour/Wellspring. Echo can be traded out for ES. Downpour and Wellspring are both great and the effort:reward ratio is pretty great.

You'll want Ascendance for higher keys but up to you for now. If you feel like you need it for whatever reason, take it. Just be remember it's on the GCD and don't get caught off-guard by that.

Dungeons without a disease or poison cure are more annoying, if your tank is eating !@#$ or gets a painful uncurable debuff you should be able to get through with just Earthen Wall if they can't kite or root/AoE stun (Remember later on you may need to save Earthgrab/Cap for G'huunies)

Spamming surge is last resort. If you have to do like 3 in a row without Tidal Waves just to keep the tank alive and they're still struggling to stay above ~30%, at that point you might as well just link and try sort out if any of the damage can be mitigated or avoided some other way. If the tank is getting clapped he will also need to adjust.

You'll want more crit however personally for my M+ gear set I drop crit and vers for more haste mastery. If memory serves I end up at ~19% crit, ~19% haste, 49% mastery and 3% vers, and this has served me far better than my raiding set which has like no mastery, 26% crit 5% haste 8-9% vers.

Crits are great but if you aren't casting fast enough people will die regardless. As you are at a lower ilevel, I would get to 15% crit then look to get some more haste in your M+ build.

As for mana management with having less crit, you will just need to sneak drinks in between trash pulls. 80k mana and the tank is pulling? Stop and drink, even if its just to 90k mana. You will burn through water but it's a small price to pay for maintaining momentum. This should be fine unless it's a big pull in which case be ready to stop drinking ASAP if your tank is about to be chunked.

Don't know if I agree with this, it sounds like he just needs to smooth out what buttons to use in what situation, or maybe (probably) his groups are taking avoidable damage.

Your talents look fine for mythics--a lot of people recommend Unleash Life over Undulation--I've found both to be viable though. Ascendance has saved me from wiping as well, just a couple of things to think about.

Let me rephrase than. I have finished 3+11 as dps, 3+10 as healer. I was off the freehold by less than a minute. I 2 chested a 9 waycrest.Check my raider.io. I utterly hate M+. If you are struggling on a 3, something mechanically is causing it. It may not even be your mechanic that is causing it. Tanks not doing the right thing can over burden a healer. Dps not interupting key ability can overburden a healer. Shaman are the easiest to overburden because we don't have a great way to catch up once behind. It is part of my hatred of M+ this season. Even low level keys are mechanically unforgiving and one slip up can ruin an entire key.
Dude you need way more crit.

I would take Echoes of the elements over Earth Shield. I have several reasons. Firstly the azerite trait Swelling stream. The sheer amount of healing this talent does is amazing (as a side note if you spec cloudburst swelling stream still works), so you can drop two healing stream totem at the same time as a mini healing CD. You have the primary heal going off and you have mini chain heals firing off everywhere. Secondly you have two riptides that you can fire off. This gives you two tidal wave charges to use on healing wave or healing surge, which in turns augments flash flood, so you can weave in chain heal or a healing rain or a wellspring with a reduced cast. Lastly you get two lava bursts so you can do meaningful dps during the downtimes.

Once you get more crit you can get rid of fangs of the intertwined essence and get a primary stat with a on chance secondary stat augment.

Flash flood over downpour.

When using wellspring be mindful. DO NOT use it on CD. Its mana cost is substantial and it over heals like a mofo if you are not careful.

For the love of everything get that weapon enchanted with the crit buff.

Mentioned above look at getting rid of those azerite pieces for either the Uldir raid ones or ones that have swelling stream.

40+ int gem into your gloves

Enchant the rings - even the basic ones at a minimum
11/05/2018 09:22 PMPosted by Ayahuascas
Help!!

Try a different spec. Try mine. Get Unleash Life, Flash Flood, and High Tide.

Unleash Life increases both the direct and HoT portion of Riptide, so keep it on the tank. Treat UL like a second Riptide. If group heals are needed then cast Chain Heal on the tank, who when buffed with Earth Shield, will increase the chain by 10%.

Be sure to utilize Capacitor Totem; it's basically a pseudo damage absorption ability for the tank (on trash). Pop Earth Elemental if you need it in a pinch, as in my opinion it's extremely underrated. It'll stop all damage on the group for 5-10 seconds depending on circumstance (again on trash).

Healing Wave is your bread and butter, so precast and stopcast it if you need to, just be sure it's your go-to heal. Precast Healing Rain as well. It should be down on the ground before it's even needed. Stack crit/int for more powerful heals and mana returns via Resurgence.
Thanks for the continued input. I gave up and am healing with Holy Priest and its just so much better. But I will take all of this into account and go back to it with guildies to practice!