The Memories of Derek Proudmoore patch 8.1

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
bwonsamdi's gotta be pissed that she's doing this on one of his alters.

i originally wanted sylvanas to be a solo scenario boss, 1v1 with the player. but instead, i kinda want bwonsamdi to handle her.
11/06/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Galenar
It's going to be so stupid if it does. "Gee it sure was easy to rescue that there undead! Let's not bother to check if he's a mind raped assassin and just send him right on in to the royal family of Kul Tiras! Nothing could go wrong with that!"

"How does he even exist, anyway? He was incinerated by dragonfire and the ashes were at the bottom of the ocean for decades. None of this makes even the slightest lick of sense."
11/06/2018 08:04 PMPosted by Etheldald
jesus this plan is going to work isn't it?

rip mama proudmoore.

Yes, the plan is absolutely going to work.

Let's be real, though. Mama Proudmoore had almost as many death flags as Rastakhan did.
11/06/2018 08:59 PMPosted by Kelrexia
11/06/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Galenar
It's going to be so stupid if it does. "Gee it sure was easy to rescue that there undead! Let's not bother to check if he's a mind raped assassin and just send him right on in to the royal family of Kul Tiras! Nothing could go wrong with that!"

"How does he even exist, anyway? He was incinerated by dragonfire and the ashes were at the bottom of the ocean for decades. None of this makes even the slightest lick of sense."

I mean, WC2 is not the most accurate content, he was killed by dragonfire while standing in a crows nest. Its not unfeasible that while he did die instantly, the blastwave of that dragonfire blew his body off the ship. He'd be a charred crispy Proudmoore boy, but he wouldn't be cremated.

Still dumb though, but whatever ... lets see how this story goes.
11/06/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Droité
To be fair, his response to this does seem to be his investigation with Talanji into why Vol'jin made her Warchief.
Droite, what the !@#$ does it matter why Vol'jin made her Warchief? Would everything Sylvanas has done suddenly be ok if it was Rezan who whispered her name to Vol'jin instead of whoever it turns out to be? The investigation subplot is ridiculous. The problem with Sylvanas isn't who put her on the throne; it's what she's done since she's been there.

Besides, what good would comforting Derek do? Give him false hope? He was forcible raised, is going to be tortured, and mentally conditioned to slaughter his own family.
It doesn't matter whether it would do any good. It's something a character who's not a piece of %^-* would've done. The guy is confused, alone, and asking questions Baine can answer, but Baine just ignores him.

Not sure what "comfort" Baine could give him in this situation without outright committing treason and either freeing him, killing him, or warning Jaina about him.
So maybe he should grow a backbone and outright commit treason instead of waiting for Saurfang to do it for him so he can be the useless bandwagon crapbox he always has been.
11/06/2018 09:06 PMPosted by Droité
I mean, WC2 is not the most accurate content, he was killed by dragonfire while standing in a crows nest. Its not unfeasible that while he did die instantly, the blastwave of that dragonfire blew his body off the ship. He'd be a charred crispy Proudmoore boy, but he wouldn't be cremated.

That'd be some very oddly specific and well-targeted dragonfire, then.

Then there's the "bottom of the sea for decades" bit. Where, ya'know. Things would be eating him and bits and chunks would be falling off regularly due to water movement and currents. Apparently temperature of the water is a large factor in how long a body lasts, but a quick Google on the subject seems to indicate that most corpses will only last about five years even in the best preservation conditions.

Still dumb though, but whatever ... lets see how this story goes.

Please don't invoke "wait and see."
Strange that Voss is so willing to rationalize Sylvanas, considering her hatred of fanatical groups that justify evil for the sake of a greater good or ideology. In universe, I wonder how many Forsaken would be comparing Sylvanas's total war against the Alliance to the Scarlet Crusade's vendetta against the undead heirs to Lordaeron.

11/06/2018 08:12 PMPosted by Kazala
Ha! Classic Baine. Don't release Derek, don't even address him or try to comfort him, just make your impotent statement of protest while he wails in misery and then wander off somewhere.

I !@#$ing HATE that guy.

Christ he's written like a sociopath. He's enraged against attrocities not because they're---well, attrocities----but because it hurts the Horde's branding and image. He didn't even try to get Derek released. Why is Baine of all people going along with this?! DO SOMETHING
The dialogue boxes... Is that a placeholder thing, for like the usual dialogue options in WoW, or is it a new system to prompt voice lines like, sorta like SWTOR's dialogue wheel?

Because that could be an interesting development.
What, exactly, is the purpose of this quest line? Do the writers think the Alliance, and Jaina in particular, lack motivation to hate the Horde? That Horde players need more #factionshame?

This !@#$ just makes me want to support Sylvanas because I know it's not what the writers want me to do.
Honestly, only Blizzard can suck so much at writing they can make one character so detestable it makes us loop right on around to rooting for her and supporting her because !@#$ it; it'll confuse Blizzard a %^-* ton and maybe force their attention on someone else if a character is too well-liked.
11/06/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Carmageddon
What, exactly, is the purpose of this quest line? Do the writers think the Alliance, and Jaina in particular, lack motivation to hate the Horde? That Horde players need more #factionshame?

This !@#$ just makes me want to support Sylvanas because I know it's not what the writers want me to do.

Join us. The True Enemy put Sylvanas on the throne. The True Enemy killed Vol’jin. The True Enemy works against the Horde even now.

And the name of the True Enemy is CDev.
I don't think this plan sounds good at all, as a Horde player hoping for a miracle and as a fan of the story.

It does establish one thing. Freshly risen Forsaken are not mind controlled immediately. They can be reprogrammed - but with enough effort, most living people can as well.

Brainwashing without magic is a thing, IRL.

It seems if Sylvanas mind controlled the dead she raised, she could make Derek shut up.
11/06/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Carmageddon

apparently is the thing that will turn the tide in favor of the horde. because they horde can't even defeat her in combat, so they need to be sneaky and hopefully, he kills jaina and that will be enough for win the war, apparently.
or the other option is to use derek as bait and removing the collective brains of the alliance leaders to fall into the trap and lose their ships.

other option is if jaina lose it, again she will act irrationally and go all out for revenge, again, and making mistakes, again. potentially, doing some kind of atrocity, but this time she wouldn't be stopped like orgrimmar.

even if the plan is a massive success and kills all 3 proudmoores removing the family bloodline.. would that be enough to win the war?.
enrage the alliance is a good idea considering that they will stop caring about civilians? and not even mentioning the division that this is causing in the horde.

no matter how i see it, it seems a really stupid plan.
11/06/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Momimfotm
Wow that was disturbing to listen to, props to the voice actor for doing such an incredible job. Actually surprised at Baine kind of showing a backbone calling out Sylvanas up front and surprised at her comparatively tame response to him.
Sylvanas knows full well that Baine's a pansy and won't actually do anything. Nothing wrong with humoring him just to show how impotent he is.
This whole scenario seems incredibly odd and random. All of a sudden, THIS is what gets people mad at Sylvanas and causes a big uproar. Not Teldrassil, not the war campaign stuff, the blightings... Like I don't get what they a re going for, at all.

It comes across to me that they might be thinking horde players wouldn't want Jaina to die? But if they think that, why would they assume we were okay with killing Malfurion?

Idk man, maybe I'm just grasping at straws. I don't get their thought process with any of this.
11/06/2018 10:37 PMPosted by Verlius
This whole scenario seems incredibly odd and random. All of a sudden, THIS is what gets people mad at Sylvanas and causes a big uproar. Not Teldrassil, not the war campaign stuff, the blightings... Like I don't get what they a re going for, at all.

It comes across to me that they might be thinking horde players wouldn't want Jaina to die? But if they think that, why would they assume we were okay with killing Malfurion?

Idk man, maybe I'm just grasping at straws. I don't get their thought process with any of this.
Based on what they said at Blizzcon, they consider Teldrassil and Lordaeron to be on the same level. That's probably why they wrote it so that only the orc with severe trauma would have a problem with it.
Playing horde just makes me uncomfortable now. For the first time in wow I can't even get involved into the story. It's just a dungeon simulator to me now. How sad.
11/06/2018 10:41 PMPosted by Kyveli
That's probably why they wrote it so that only the orc with severe trauma would have a problem with it.
What's concerning to me is apparently someone had to realize Saurfang wouldn't be okay with Teldrassil and commission Old Soldier.

The fact that anyone on the Horde wouldn't be okay with this was apparently a major revelation.
11/06/2018 10:57 PMPosted by Kharinak
11/06/2018 10:41 PMPosted by Kyveli
That's probably why they wrote it so that only the orc with severe trauma would have a problem with it.
What's concerning to me is apparently someone had to realize Saurfang wouldn't be okay with Teldrassil and commission Old Soldier.

The fact that anyone on the Horde wouldn't be okay with this was apparently a major revelation.

Just like.... Really. What is their thought process? Every detail we get just makes it even more confusing.

Did they genuinely believe that something they themselves refer to as a genocide was morally grey?
11/06/2018 11:00 PMPosted by Verlius
11/06/2018 10:57 PMPosted by Kharinak
...What's concerning to me is apparently someone had to realize Saurfang wouldn't be okay with Teldrassil and commission Old Soldier.

Just like.... Really. What is their thought process? Every detail we get just makes it even more confusing.

Did they genuinely believe that something they themselves refer to as a genocide was morally grey?

What’s even better is Sylvanas enacting a scorched earth withdrawal of Undercity and killing countless more alliance ON TOP of using necromancy on her own troops (while retaining the loyalty of Voss) is considered the same as that horribly one sided war days before hand that saw the Night Elves genocided....

This writing team and staff at Blizzard are some of the worst ever. They’re just bad like My Immortal fanfiction bad. In fact I’d rather read about Enoby Dark’ness Raven at this point than more of the drivel from these idiots.

Ps: Baine’s a schmuck and a coward.