XP reduction across the board, largest at 60...

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
They should just get rid of levels if they're keeping scaling. It's ridiculous to try to have it both ways. It's also pointless to level scale zones instead of just letting players play anywhere in the game at any level.

They could devote a lot more dev time to just designing content and class balance.
11/07/2018 05:44 PMPosted by Velara
11/07/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Djarro
Yea? They made 95% of the available content more faceroll and less engaging than it already was. Great for those that want it I guess. Crap to me who hasn’t really experienced it for more than year and would love a more engaging open world game with as much content as WoW could have if it wasn’t nerfed to easy mode.

The iron man it without heirlooms. It only says "up to 40%" which is a weasel way of saying the XP cap reduction could be as little as 1% or as high as 40%. Probably it will fall somewhere in-between. The real issue is whether it actually speeds up the leveling process noticeably.

My point wasn’t just about speed it was about engagement. I’m not arguing that it feels too easy and repetitive - I’m saying I wish the solution was to make it meaningful, engaging and challenging - so that there was more game to play - not less because I speed through stuff that barely holds my interest.

I guess I just come from a different way of thinking about the game - where I would rather have more interesting enagaging content than a streamlined path to a smaller portion of endgame content, that to be honest, is pretty repetitive in itself and gets less and less engaging unless your pushing high difficulty.
11/07/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Ameghan
Not thrilled about it. I would have preferred they just buff XP gains from heirlooms. Some of us like levelling and aren't in a rush.
Agree with you for the most part. But it will probably be pretty much the same as it is now, if you don't equip heirlooms. You don't need to use heirlooms anyways, because quest, and dungeon rewards give you all the gear slots needed to level anyhow. This upcoming change has the guild I'm in discords channel full of people talking about how happy they are with this upcoming change. Not liked many of the changes blizz has made over the last several years with crz the start of it, but hats off to them on this xp change:-)
Meh... somewhat useful.

Doesn't really take into account the nerf heirloom xp, nor the nerfed heirloom power, or the nerfed dungeon xp.

I suppose something is better than nothing. I mean https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20761996118?page=232 232 pages of feedback later.

Guess it takes a mediocre blizzcon and sub-hemorrhage to get something to happen.
11/07/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Wikir
I guess dwindling subs have forced their hand on this issue. I don't know anyone bothering to level a character this whole expac.

Ya I'm pretty sure this was the only reason for sub drops..
Yes. My Void Elf has been stuck in Northend for so long, mainly due to it taking too long to level him to 80.
woot. i'll finally get levelled up
I might stay subscribed but I have no faith in this development team to actually do what they say. They also need to reverse the changes they made to heirlooms in Patch 7.3.5, make dungeon experience worth it again (like before 7.3.5), and loose the "personal loot" crap they did to dungeons in 7.3.5.

We need them to fix leveling so its fun again but their giving us a gold painted turd and calling it treasure.
exp hasnt been that bad a bg win is almost half a level and i just hit 60 a day or so ago.
11/07/2018 05:53 PMPosted by Djarro
11/07/2018 05:44 PMPosted by Velara
The iron man it without heirlooms. It only says "up to 40%" which is a weasel way of saying the XP cap reduction could be as little as 1% or as high as 40%. Probably it will fall somewhere in-between. The real issue is whether it actually speeds up the leveling process noticeably.

My point wasn’t just about speed it was about engagement. I’m not arguing that it feels too easy and repetitive - I’m saying I wish the solution was to make it meaningful, engaging and challenging - so that there was more game to play - not less because I speed through stuff that barely holds my interest.

I guess I just come from a different way of thinking about the game - where I would rather have more interesting enagaging content than a streamlined path to a smaller portion of endgame content, that to be honest, is pretty repetitive in itself and gets less and less engaging unless your pushing high difficulty.

I would agree with you in theory. However, Blizard are trying to have it both ways -- they want to level-lock zones while emphasizing "end-game" --and they want to scale the world to player's level/ilevel.

Consequently some zones are precluded/pointless at some levels.

Instead, just scale players and the world to one level. Let players play in any zone at any level.

If you want to see this working, and working well, go try ESO.

OR...

If Blizzard insists on retaining zone-scaled levels, then instead of flat scaling the area to level, scale the players up or down to the zone. This maintains zone level disparity while at the same time allowing players the experience of playing at the same level (WoW presently scales mobs to the level of each group member!) so you don't feel as though you're on a treadmill. Further, you can never outlevel the zone because you will be squashed to the zone level, rather than the zone having level limits.
Neat, I can get this hunter her heritage armor next patch! I stopped leveling the monk at lvl 70.
11/07/2018 02:45 PMPosted by Grimm
11/07/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Covin
AHAHAHA all that defending their slow downs and all those threads of people saying slow was better, and then this gets quietly snuck in. Thats great.

Nothing slow about current leveling, but they do need to cater to the the lazy.

Who is "lazy", exactly?

How many months do you think it is reasonable to keep a new player in abandoned old content in deserted zones before they are permitted to actually play the game, keeping in mind that new players will regularly come across confusing things they will have to stop and get help to figure out?
Good. Nerf is more I say.
Good news for the first time in months. Last good thing was max artifact to everyone the last weeks to help with mage tower. 5 6 months ago.
11/07/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Haunter
11/07/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Covin
AHAHAHA all that defending their slow downs and all those threads of people saying slow was better, and then this gets quietly snuck in. Thats great.

I mean I still don't think leveling speed was bad in the first place, but making it quicker is always welcome when max level is 120. Seriously, this is the only mmo wich such an absurd max level, and having all of your abilities minus 2 talents by level 80 makes the last 40 feel like a drag.

There are loads of problems with leveling, I just don't think speed is one of them.
if the speed were faster, the other issues would be less of a pain. there is no 1 main problem with leveling, its a mixture of it being repetitive, boring, and slow all at the same time.
11/07/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Thelmara
Check WoWhead.

Up to 40% XP reduction needed to level starting in 8.1. Holy crap.

Looks good to me, maybe I'll level an alt when it hits. Because it doesn't look like they are going to be doing much more for BM this xpack, unless you count more future nerfs.
This is frustrating. When they first announced the leveling changes the xp required were basically what 8.1 is, then when it hit live servers they doubled the xp required. It took blizzard over a year to revert the increase.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I would agree with you in theory. However, Blizard are trying to have it both ways -- they want to level-lock zones while emphasizing "end-game" --and they want to scale the world to player's level/ilevel.

Consequently some zones are precluded/pointless at some levels.

Instead, just scale players and the world to one level. Let players play in any zone at any level.

If you want to see this working, and working well, go try ESO.

OR...

If Blizzard insists on retaining zone-scaled levels, then instead of flat scaling the area to level, scale the players up or down to the zone. This maintains zone level disparity while at the same time allowing players the experience of playing at the same level (WoW presently scales mobs to the level of each group member!) so you don't feel as though you're on a treadmill. Further, you can never outlevel the zone because you will be squashed to the zone level, rather than the zone having level limits.

Look, i came in here to express an opinion on what looks like a major change to the game. I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I’m free to have it and post it in these boards.

I’m not here for a game recommendation or to be told to shut off xp - which doesn’t solve the issue I’m trying to discuss anyway.

Great you agree with me in theory - but your ability to know what blizz is/isn’t going to do does nothing to dismiss or invalidate my opinion of what it should do.
11/07/2018 03:49 PMPosted by Huskeroo
Yay. Now levelling an alt will only take 60 to 80 hrs instead of 100 to 120.

There is a lot more than needs undoing to fix the mess they made of levelling.

Changing XP is only part of the problem. The complete removal of power progression and gear progression for the first 110 levels is a huge problem. 110 levels of never getting more powerful relative to mobs (unless they are rendered trivial by ceasing to scale) is 110 levels of pointlessness for anyone except people playing through the story.

Full restoration of RAF and heirlooms and being able to grow against mobs is what's needed. Reducing a stupidly long process to a shorter but still stupidly long process accomplishes nothing.

The power progression doesn't happen until you hit 120, as mobs scale to your ILvL as well. Apparently when you get to ILvL 350 or something, you see the difference.
Its hilarious watching some of the fangirls spout "THIS WAS THEIR PLAN ALL ALONG" when they adamantly defended the decision for months. I swear, some of you people will happily take ANYTHING you're sold. Probably why the world is so screwed up these days.