Blizzard/Activision share holder call

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.
I guess we'll see.

Let's say it does do well though, are we going to get a flood of people coming here going "lol I was wrong, they're raking it in!"

I ... doubt it.
They aren't trying to reach the PC/Console players with this game. Until you can understand that you won't understand where they were taking this. The real issue is why reveal it at Blizzcon which is basically a PC (somewhat console) venue?

The game will likely do very well in regions not so dedicated to PC/Console games, like Asia.
11/08/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Snowfox
I guess we'll see.

Let's say it does do well though, are we going to get a flood of people coming here going "lol I was wrong, they're raking it in!"

I ... doubt it.
I don’t think it’s going to do good even if it is good. Fan base is upset (as am I because Diablo made me buy a PC just to play it). And mobile has a terrible name to it, people are going to hate and tear that game apart (people like me) no matter what <3.

What’s gonna happen if it is good, some weird cult following will evolve and us pc guys will be left in the dust still screaming that blizzard sold out.
Literally just said "We believe the vocal community will remain loyal to the Diablo franchise and continue to play the game" I can't make this up.
11/08/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Arazlok
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

It is entirely possible that they are marketing the game for other than their fan base. You know, to expand it, make more money, jump on a trend. Business things. They are a business afterall.
11/08/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Ughash
11/08/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Snowfox
I guess we'll see.

I ... doubt it.
I don’t think it’s going to do good even if it is good. Fan base is upset (as am I because Diablo made me buy a PC just to play it). And mobile has a terrible name to it, people are going to hate and tear that game apart (people like me) no matter what <3.

What’s gonna happen if it is good, some weird cult following will evolve and us pc guys will be left in the dust still screaming that blizzard sold out.

My prediction is it will come out, to massive complaining from us and diablo players, then rake in billions.

Asia plays mobile game a lot, they'll most likely make a ton of money off of it in that market. Might not be huge in the US but that's not the largest market.
11/08/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Arazlok
Literally just said "We believe the vocal community will remain loyal to the Diablo franchise and continue to play the game" I can't make this up.

Well, do you expect them to say, "This is a crap shoot. We have no idea what we are doing. This could be a huge financial loss for us."?
11/08/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Stompypotato

It is entirely possible that they are marketing the game for other than their fan base. You know, to expand it, make more money, jump on a trend. Business things. They are a business afterall.

They just said they believe the Diablo fan base will remain loyal and continue to play the franchise.

So...

The current fan base doesn't particularly care for mobile games (and, yes...they probably didn't pick the right venue to announce a mobile-only game), so because of that they can not **EVER** seek a new subsection of "gamer" or put anything out that may give them access to a different type of fan?

Okie Dokie! Got it! Blizz is NOT allowed to put anything out for anyone that is not a current fan of Blizzard games! They ABSOLUTELY CANNOT!! under any circumstance delve into a different type of game or a different type of gamer!

On the same page now! YAY ME!
11/08/2018 01:47 PMPosted by Arazlok
They just said they believe the Diablo fan base will remain loyal and continue to play the franchise.

Absolutely. If they released a new class pack or xpac for D3 I would buy it today. I just won't be playing the mobile game.
Well received by their pc gamer core? No.

Well received by the phone-playing hordes? Maybe, sure.
Well, when they say that, I think they mean it will be well received by the larger gaming audience, not just their existing players who have made their feelings abundantly clear. I'm sure there will be some mobile game players that don't currently play Diablo, or perhaps any of Blizzard's PC games, that may like it.

It makes sense for companies like Blizzard to want to branch out into mobile gaming, but Blizzard's big mistake was thinking that is something that would be well received by their existing, largely PC oriented customers.

Add to that the year long hype for the Diablo franchise's upcoming Blizzcon announcement, then their attempts at trying to rein in those expectations, and apparently scraping their plans shortly before Blizzcon to say anything about plans for D4 - that just made a bad situation worse. So in the end, all they had to give the Diablo fans at Blizzcon was a game announcement that most didn't care about at best, and really, really disliked, if not outright hated, at worst.

Adding in the lack of any PC version and the "don't you have phones" comment just crystalized how out of touch with their players they are.

Plus, you have to remember on those calls they are trying to put the best spin on things, so it wasn't like they were going to go on the investor call and say "Yeah, we totally screwed up and misjudged things, we're sorry, we won't do it again." Instead, they just reinforce their message that mobile gaming is important and that they are boldly moving big time into that space for all of their titles, and they expect to be successful and make lots of money, which is what the investors want to hear.
The game will sell, of course it will. It will not receive good rating though. It might be abandoned quickly in the West (I give it 1 - 2 months). It might thrive and sell in the East.
I’m excited for it well enough. I probably will never download it and play but I look forward to the brave souls who will YouTube or stream it so I can see the story. Going to post headline, I look at the drop in share price as a chance to buy more not a reason to sell. Let’s face it, Blizzard will make a new wow expansion, a new diablo game will come soon (I hope), and Activison side is a little like EA.... they will push a new COD every year just to rake in the money. Shares will go up again.
Blizzard would be stupid to not expand into the mobile market.

It'd be like Blockbuster turning down the offer to buy Netflix.