Blizzard/Activision share holder call

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 12 Next
It probably will be.

The issue is that diablo fans weren’t the targeted demo when making this game. And being that they were the ones that helped build that name into something, it’s kinda sad to see how easily they were pushed aside.
The big misconception people can't seem to move past is that any market outside of China was at any point a consideration.
11/08/2018 02:00 PMPosted by Ohgodmyeyes
Honestly, I think Immortal is going to do really well once people get past the undue hate it got simply for not being Diablo 4.

If the game is good, it deserves to be successful regardless of platform. Time will tell if that's the case.

It didn’t get hated for them not announcing D4. Do you live under a rock? And this won’t just go away
11/08/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Spiçy
It probably will be.

The issue is that diablo fans weren’t the targeted demo when making this game. And being that they were the ones that helped build that name into something, it’s kinda sad to see how easily they were pushed aside.

I get where people are coming from. Blizzard did wrong by their Diablo fan base, they really did. But...people also need to stop jumping to conclusions.

They were told that there were multiple Diablo projects in the works. Chances are pretty good that a PC game was among them (probably Diablo 4 if rumors are to be believed).

All this is, at least for the time being since I can't predict the future, is Blizzard trying to access the Asian market. This is something that they will jump on.
11/08/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Makilo
It didn’t get hated for them not announcing D4.

I disagree with your assessment, and I think the announcement as a whole would have been received very differently had they gone with this kind of approach:

"Hey guys, Diablo 4 is coming, but it's nowhere near ready yet -- in the meantime, here's this side project mobile game we've been working on that opens up some more of Sanctuary's timeline that hasn't been explored up to this point."

11/08/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Makilo
And this won’t just go away

You're right, it won't. Immortal will release when it releases, and subsequent Diablo titles will release when they release.
11/08/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Stompypotato
11/08/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Arazlok
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

It is entirely possible that they are marketing the game for other than their fan base. You know, to expand it, make more money, jump on a trend. Business things. They are a business afterall.

Then it goes into an entirely different realm of stupidity to make a game meant for new players be about lore heavy events that take place between 2 and 3. This game is supposed to bridge the gap between D2 and D3. I have a hard time believing even the most devout shills can defend this with a straight face.

Which is it? Are they hilariously out of touch with their current playerbase? Are they hilariously out of touch with what may appeal to a brand new audience that has never played a Diablo game before? Both?

There's a reason an offshoot game like Hearthstone was so well received, you know.
I don't think the game is going to be a huge success even in the East where mobile games are more popular.

The game is a reskin of an already available game "Crusaders of Light" which as developed by the same company "Netease" which released it mostly for the East. What this means is that people already have played the game in the East and now the only thing that might bring people to play it "again" would be the Diablo IP and the new Diablo assets, map and the story.

I hardly think it will make a lot of money, it will be popular for a month and 2 at most than it will nose dive badly, even in the East.

Activision called COD launch as bad with 500mil, so I am not sure how much Immortal can make to call it succesful but I don't think it has any chance of surpassing that or any other previous Diablo game.
They described the fan reaction to Diablo Immortal as "muted."

In case you need further proof they seriously do not care.
Then it goes into an entirely different realm of stupidity to make a game meant for new players be about lore heavy events that take place between 2 and 3. I have a hard time believing even the most devout shills can defend this with a straight face.

Dunno, I can see that argument having some merit. If you play a game that you like, and you realize there's a lot of lore that you don't know about, it might well inspire you to look at older titles like Diablo 2, and potentially Diablo 3 from there.

As long as the gameplay is good, I could see more people being interested in the Lore and exploring other titles from there.

We still discuss lore that occurred in previous Warcraft titles on these very forums, even though many of us never played the game.
11/08/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Crepe
I think the important thing to keep in mind with shareholder calls is that they're not talking to us. They're talking to the investment community. Nearly 80% of ATVI is held by hedge funds and institutional investors. That's who they're talking to with these calls.

These calls are reflections on where the company currently is and guidance for how the company feels it will perform in the future.

As mentioned earlier, this isn't the audience you tell "hey we're releasing a new game that's going to take a nose dive." And a single new mobile game isn't where they're hanging the company's hopes and dreams for the next year.

Exactly what Crepe is saying. Large firms, some over 10%, hold onto Blizzard's stock. Blizzard came out and said they made $4,000,000,000 in transactions in 2017. Shareholder response is "Great... so make more in 2018."

Diablo Immortal will be well received "overall". By overall they mean in other markets, not with the PC crowd.
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

You are confusing the two. DI's target market is China and, it probably will be well received there.

The fan base, on the other hand, received an inglorious "Goodbye" as Blizzard sets its sights on the east.

WoW sucks and has sucked for five years.
Starcraft: given up for dead
Diablo: prostituted to China

What's left?

Hearthstone?
Overwatch?

HoTS is pretty much a fail.

So... what is being developed for the PC market?

Nothing.
11/08/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Felforit
11/08/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Stompypotato

It is entirely possible that they are marketing the game for other than their fan base. You know, to expand it, make more money, jump on a trend. Business things. They are a business afterall.

Then it goes into an entirely different realm of stupidity to make a game meant for new players be about lore heavy events that take place between 2 and 3. This game is supposed to bridge the gap between D2 and D3. I have a hard time believing even the most devout shills can defend this with a straight face.

Which is it? Are they hilariously out of touch with their current playerbase? Are they hilariously out of touch with what may appeal to a brand new audience that has never played a Diablo game before? Both?

There's a reason an offshoot game like Hearthstone was so well received, you know.

Most people don't need to know all the lore in a game to enjoy, y'know, gameplay. I can assure you i don't care about WoW lore in the slightest. It's just a good, addicting game. I'd wager most people play diablo to go in and slash everything down, not for a script... Most people aren't larpers.
11/08/2018 01:47 PMPosted by Arazlok
<span class="truncated">...</span>

They just said they believe the Diablo fan base will remain loyal and continue to play the franchise.

I am sure they will. I have always enjoyed their PC editions. Didn’t care much for the console variants, probably because I don’t like console controls.

My point is, they are probably hoping that a mobile game will tap into that market and draw people who wouldn’t ordinarily play a PC or console game.

I find it highly unlikely that they will stop working on PC editions of the game.
Their stock is down 10% today with aftermaket... After dropping on Monday after blizcon by 6%.

Blizzard fix this, you're killing my portfolio.

Edit: down 20% this week. Thank God it isn't the majority of my portfolio.

I do wish I could buy this dip though... Not enough cash on hand though.
11/08/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Ohgodmyeyes
Then it goes into an entirely different realm of stupidity to make a game meant for new players be about lore heavy events that take place between 2 and 3. I have a hard time believing even the most devout shills can defend this with a straight face.

Dunno, I can see that argument having some merit. If you play a game that you like, and you realize there's a lot of lore that you don't know about, it might well inspire you to look at older titles like Diablo 2, and potentially Diablo 3 from there.

As long as the gameplay is good, I could see more people being interested in the Lore and exploring other titles from there.

We still discuss lore that occurred in previous Warcraft titles on these very forums, even though many of us never played the game.

Apples and oranges, my friend. You're comparing an MMO that was built from the ground up for people to jump into blindly as new players to a game that will be built from the ground up to answer heavy lore questions about what exactly happened between the last two games in the series. This is more like jumping into, say, Mass Effect 3 with never having played the first two games.

And you're out of touch with the gaming community as a whole.

Mobile games are insanely popular, especially among the younger generations of gamers, with mobile games easily reaching tens of millions of players due to their ease of use and accessibility. Even people on the convention floor themselves who played the game were saying that it was good, but it wasn't for them, so yeah it's going to release and it's going to make Blizzard a ton of money.

And you'd honestly have to be blind not to realize that.

Oh and as for people still playing Diablo games? Yeah they still are. For the past few days when I've tried to log onto Diablo 3 there has been a tiny queue for my credentials to get authenticated. The last time I saw that was when Reaper of Souls launched. Seems like once again, there's a vocal minority who hate the game and say "We'll never play again! Boycott!!" while the silent majority seems to be fine with it and keeps playing the games they enjoy.
11/08/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Felforit
This is more like jumping into, say, Mass Effect 3 with never having played the first two games.

..It's funny you should mention this, because this was actually correct for the order I personally played the Mass Effect series. Played 3, loved it, played 1 and 2 after.
Buy the dip.

It will be received very well overall in China where there is a HUGE market for micro-transaction open your wallet cash grabs.

They will make a ton of money which is all they are interested in.

There is a fine line between making money ethically and making money taking advantage of people... kids mostly. Blizzard should be so proud.