Blizzard/Activision share holder call

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 12 Next
11/08/2018 01:47 PMPosted by Clash
11/08/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Arazlok
Literally just said "We believe the vocal community will remain loyal to the Diablo franchise and continue to play the game" I can't make this up.

Well, do you expect them to say, "This is a crap shoot. We have no idea what we are doing. This could be a huge financial loss for us."?

There is some minor amount of financial exposure but by outsourcing the development the risk is minimized.
11/08/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Guyaota
Problem with Mobile games is they have a relatively short life span. after a few months and once the Whales hit it , people move on. It is for a quick cash grab

A few months? A few minutes might be more accurate.
Did I make a left turn when I was supposed to turn right? This is the wow forums not Diablo, correct?
11/08/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Felforit
11/08/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Stompypotato

It is entirely possible that they are marketing the game for other than their fan base. You know, to expand it, make more money, jump on a trend. Business things. They are a business afterall.

Then it goes into an entirely different realm of stupidity to make a game meant for new players be about lore heavy events that take place between 2 and 3. This game is supposed to bridge the gap between D2 and D3. I have a hard time believing even the most devout shills can defend this with a straight face.

Which is it? Are they hilariously out of touch with their current playerbase? Are they hilariously out of touch with what may appeal to a brand new audience that has never played a Diablo game before? Both?

There's a reason an offshoot game like Hearthstone was so well received, you know.

Not a shill. Just trying to take it from a reasonable and rational position.

At the end of the day, does a mobile game have any negative consequences upon the PC market? Probably not, but it could have entirely positive ones by getting new people interested in the mobile game and in turn looking into the console or PC editions.
11/08/2018 02:25 PMPosted by Solarwynds
Did I make a left turn when I was supposed to turn right? This is the wow forums not Diablo, correct?

Left? Diablo

Right? Diablo

Forward? Diablo

Back? Diablo

You can't escape it. It's part of his grand plan. The High Heavens were merely a setback.
From CNBC:

Activision Blizzard shares plunged 9 percent in after-hours trading after reporting its third straight quarterly decline in monthly active users. The video game company, which owns the Call of Duty and World of Warcraft franchises, reported 345 million monthly active users for the quarter, down from 352 million the previous quarter.
The company reported earnings of 52 cents per share, beating the 50 cents Wall Street expected, as well as $1.66 billion in revenue, in line with estimates.

Stock is down about 15.5% on the day including after hours.
11/08/2018 02:27 PMPosted by Kentaurus
11/08/2018 02:25 PMPosted by Solarwynds

Left? Diablo

Right? Diablo

Forward? Diablo

Back? Diablo

You can't escape it.
Apparently not. I love the game and will give it a try on mobile but there are forums to discuss that in............. *sigh*
I love how the Yahoo article said the leading franchises for ATVI is Candy Crush (King) and WoW (Blizzard).

Yahoo, which has an Esports section, has zero mention of Overwatch. I'd always assumed Overwatch was now their flagship IP for Blizzard.
Disregarding all the complaints about the platform, the venue they announced it at, and the chasing of new blood, Blizzard's still screwing up with this.
You don't branch off of a franchise with a new installment meant to bring in new people by setting the thing dead center of a decades long ongoing story, especially in a market where there are a million other games just like yours that don't toss the player into the deep end.
I've made comparisons to FGO before, and I feel it's a good comparison because FGO is the king of the hill in regards to actual mobile games, not Facebook time wasters. FGO is a game that drops the player into a multimedia franchise that's existed since the 90's and uses all the settings, world building and even many of the characters from previous parts of the franchise, but it manages to do so in such a way that veterans of the franchise don't have their stride broken while at the same time allowing newcomers to ease their way into it without feeling overwhelmed by infodumps. Setting Diablo Immortal between the second and third installment and using it to tell players what happened to established characters between said installments is the exact opposite of the aforementioned method and will alienate newcomers. while simultaneously alienating veterans due to the platform its on and the way it was announced.
Also, pairing with Netease is like walking around a bad part of town at night while loudly and openly counting your money. You will be robbed.
11/08/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Vlorax
11/08/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Arazlok
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

Asia plays mobile game a lot, they'll most likely make a ton of money off of it in that market. Might not be huge in the US but that's not the largest market.

Americans often forget they aren’t the only people on earth.
Yeah, they'll make a lot of money from this, especially in Asia.
Literally just said "We believe the vocal community will remain loyal to the Diablo franchise and continue to play the game" I can't make this up.

of course they will when that flashy diablo 4 trailer gets !@#$ out everybody will line up to buy it
Personally I really don't like mobile games, they're just not comfortable for me to play. But I am absolutely sure that Diablo Immortal is going to make tons of money when it comes out, bc that's how the mobile market is. They don't need us the steadfast loyal PC players for Diablo Immortal or any of their other mobile titles to be successful. That being said. Blizzard really messed up with their messaging over Diablo Immortal, they should not have had a Diablo stage but rather a Mobile stage and introduced DI from there.
11/08/2018 02:32 PMPosted by Kallistus
11/08/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Vlorax

Asia plays mobile game a lot, they'll most likely make a ton of money off of it in that market. Might not be huge in the US but that's not the largest market.

Americans often forget they aren’t the only people on earth.

Asian market is weird. When I was in Asia I experienced that most PC players are in Wangba (gaming cafes). The games are free and the students who played there spent their money on the cafe and not the games. I loaded up $50 for RP for LoL and people were in shock I had that much RP on my account.

Then again there was a guy who'd play near me who played hearthstone on his phone and would show me his excitement from opening a legendary card. This guy, whose family was well off since he was at the Cafe 24/7 it seemed, spent god knows how much money on games.

I played a game Moonlight Blade while I was there. There was an item that unlocked after spending $5000 on the in-game cash shop.

It seems many of the Asian games has many players who play for free and then a few thousand who spend absurd amounts.
it'll take people not downloading it/buying items off it. But mobile gaming in general 2% of the people playing it generate 90% of the profits... look at a piece of crap like candy crush.
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

They said that pc gamers are a dwindling demographic and mobile gamers are the new majority when it comes to gamers.

This isn't about knowing their fan base, they are going where the majority of potential customers are.
11/08/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Grimwulf

They said that pc gamers are a dwindling demographic and mobile gamers are the new majority when it comes to gamers.

This isn't about knowing their fan base, they are going where the majority of potential customers are.

And as much as people hate it, Blizzard isn't really making games for the "old school" fan base anymore. These are new types of games to appeal to a new demographic, and quite frankly in many cases a younger demographic. As little interest as I have in Diablo: Immortal Beloved it will probably make bank.

Just not with us.

It's possible. Next the die hard suckers will be shilling out good money for a boat that doesn't float.....oh wait. The are kinda right though, some of the Blizz fans out there will buy a turd if it had the Blizz logo on it and you got a free invisible pet.