Blizzard/Activision share holder call

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 12 Next
11/08/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Snowfox
I guess we'll see.

Let's say it does do well though, are we going to get a flood of people coming here going "lol I was wrong, they're raking it in!"

I ... doubt it.
I suspect that it will do well with the phone gamers, since that's the only market for it. There had to be some market analysis showing the effort would be worth it.

What I'm seeing in the Diablo forums is not so much hatred towards the game itself, nor the platform that was chosen for it. The rage is the way it was presented, which essentially ignored the PC and console gamers. Even the follow-up comments by Blizzard gave no information beyond the vague "multiple Diablo projects in the work." What projects? Name one. How long has it been "in work" and when might we find out about it and get it? That's where the rage is.

D:I will have to be scaled back seriously from the PC and console Diablo. The screen size, controls, and content are far different from the average gaming PC and console. How that's handled will be a huge factor in its success or failure.

As you said, though ..... we'll see.
Lying to investors I see. Not a good look, Blizzard.
11/08/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Enkki
I guess we'll see.

Let's say it does do well though, are we going to get a flood of people coming here going "lol I was wrong, they're raking it in!"

I ... doubt it.
I suspect that it will do well with the phone gamers, since that's the only market for it. There had to be some market analysis showing the effort would be worth it.

You watch kids today gaming? Like, Generation Y.. and how they approach it?

To them it's all just devices and games all spread across everything. Skyping on their tablet while playing roblox on the pc. Skyping on the pc while playing something on the tablet.. then out chasing pokemon go on the phone when out..

That's the next generation coming up... internet savvy from childhood, used to all kinds of devices and using them together. Various games spread across all kinds of platforms..

I probably know more about PC's, pc architecture, assembly language, dos through windows, linux on pc's, etc.. than 9 out of 10 people here - but, frankly, we're the dinosaurs.

The future, the next generation is -always- coming on strong.. and just like we scoffed at social media yet it made billions .. we can scoff at mobile too and avoid it, but don't doubt that it too will probably make billions.
11/08/2018 02:58 PMPosted by Adelphie
Lying to investors I see. Not a good look, Blizzard.

Except they're not lying.

According to Rhykker, a popular Diablo streamer that was at Blizzcon, the vast majority of people he spoke to who actually played the demo for Diablo: Immortal liked it and conceded that it would be popular, even if it wasn't for them specifically. Even Rhykker himself liked the game, although he had some issues with it.

Sure the reaction at the initial announcement was poor, but, afterwards it was much better. That is likely what they're basing their language on, not the blind rage from those who hadn't even touched the demo, but the reactions of people who actually bothered to pick it up and give it a try.
It will probably make quite a bit of money, again china and the younger generation in the west will eat it up, it is what it is.
11/08/2018 02:32 PMPosted by Kallistus
11/08/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Vlorax

Asia plays mobile game a lot, they'll most likely make a ton of money off of it in that market. Might not be huge in the US but that's not the largest market.

Americans often forget they aren’t the only people on earth.

Ah, the ever-intelligent America-basher.
11/08/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Arazlok
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

They dont care about the current fan base. Theyre after newer players that sit on their phones all day. The market studies is what theyre following now not player opinion.
Bobby Kotick better hope this statement from Activision to the Investors doesn't backfire since they won't like being lied to and may get him fired!
11/08/2018 01:47 PMPosted by Clash
11/08/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Arazlok
Literally just said "We believe the vocal community will remain loyal to the Diablo franchise and continue to play the game" I can't make this up.

Well, do you expect them to say, "This is a crap shoot. We have no idea what we are doing. This could be a huge financial loss for us."?

They need to adjust their approach. They are insinuating that no matter what, they think their fan base is blind enough to buy into anything. They pretty actively clash with their customers these days, something we rarely saw before Blizzards buy out.

I hope this isn't the case and I hope it fails. They have limited resources and anything shipped over to mobile development is a loss for PC.
11/08/2018 03:38 PMPosted by Yvenathilm
Bobby Kotick better hope this statement from Activision to the Investors doesn't backfire since they won't like being lied to and may get him fired!

If only. . .

If any one person has been toxic to the gaming industry, it's "I want to take all of the fun out of making video games" Kotick. Ugh
How can you possibly make judgement on something you have never played? The ignorance is strong with the OP.
11/08/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Snowfox
That's the next generation coming up... internet savvy from childhood, used to all kinds of devices and using them together.

Oh for god's sake. For how many generations are we going to hear this.

but, frankly, we're the dinosaurs.

No.

The future, the next generation is -always- coming on strong.. and just like we scoffed at social media yet it made billions .. we can scoff at mobile too and avoid it, but don't doubt that it too will probably make billions.

"We" didn't scoff at social media, and it makes billions by leveraging your personal content to show you ads, collect your data, leverage your data to show ads to people like you, and rent or sell your data to third parties.
Apparently literal boos and heckling are a "muted response" now.

Quite the artistic interpretation of events there.
11/08/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Snowfox
we can scoff at mobile too and avoid it, but don't doubt that it too will probably make billions.
Until the first EMP wave, or hack to our grid, or super volcano erupts and sends ash around the world in biblical quantities. Any of those will shut us all down.

Again, though, I don't see the rage against D:I itself, nor the platform. Just the way it was handled.
11/08/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Raiyyn
11/08/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Arazlok
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

So...

The current fan base doesn't particularly care for mobile games (and, yes...they probably didn't pick the right venue to announce a mobile-only game), so because of that they can not **EVER** seek a new subsection of "gamer" or put anything out that may give them access to a different type of fan?

Okie Dokie! Got it! Blizz is NOT allowed to put anything out for anyone that is not a current fan of Blizzard games! They ABSOLUTELY CANNOT!! under any circumstance delve into a different type of game or a different type of gamer!

On the same page now! YAY ME!

THey can delve into other markets all they want but they chose the wrong venue to do it at.

At the very least they should of thrown the pc/console Diablo players something first then went and for those interested we are coming out with a Diablo for mobile.
I guess we'll see.

I ... doubt it.

Nobody thinks the game will fail, on the contrary, it's easy to see how the game will succeed.

Mobile games like that don't succeed, however, based purely on their quality. They succeed because they maliciously and aggressively prey on your wallet.

Mobile games are successful for the wrong reasons. That's why we hate this.

It seems like your posts now days seem to just slightly fly under the point, either to troll, or who knows what, but if you are legitimately just being ignorant, consider this a friendly tip.
11/08/2018 04:17 PMPosted by Zipzø
It seems like your posts now days seem to just slightly fly under the point, either to troll, or who knows what, but if you are legitimately just being ignorant, consider this a friendly tip.

Ah, well thanks for your input but I'm probably just going to throw it in the trash bin. I generally don't take advice from people who are just being nasty to me :)
Well received by the target audience.
I guess we'll see.

I ... doubt it.

No doubt they're going to make a lot of money, the issue becomes that they're losing their clout as a developer doing it, which seems like a terribly near-sighted approach to game development.

It's kinda like DC phoning it in for the superhero movies. They knew they would make tons of money regardless of the quality of the films, but what did it cost? They botched their position as a competitor to marvel for a cheap buck.