Blizzard/Activision share holder call

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 12 Next
11/08/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Snowfox
I guess we'll see.

Let's say it does do well though, are we going to get a flood of people coming here going "lol I was wrong, they're raking it in!"

I ... doubt it.

Does "raking it in" symbolize a great game? Or does great encompass a happy and loyal fan base?
11/08/2018 05:10 PMPosted by Vulnero
11/08/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Snowfox
I guess we'll see.

Let's say it does do well though, are we going to get a flood of people coming here going "lol I was wrong, they're raking it in!"

I ... doubt it.

Does "raking it in" symbolize a great game? Or does great encompass a happy and loyal fan base?

It may mean dumping an old nasty hypernegative playerbase for a much larger more profitable new playerbase.

It could mean many things.
11/08/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Arazlok
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

Overall to me says in more than one country. Why the heck are you posting this on the wow forum anyway?
In my opinion Diablo Immortal could be a stroke of genius for Blizzard as they are targeting the Asian population. Several years ago I was in Hong Kong and Bangkok. EVERYONE was glued to their smartphones. In HK on the subways (free wifi on the trains,) sitting in parks, in restaurants. I mean everywhere. I traveled the Hong Kong subway at rush hour. Those trains are packed to the rafters yet everyone is still playing away on their phones. China is there too and India is up and coming.

What perplexes me is why Blizzard choose to announce Immortal at Blizcon. They know that virtually everyone attending is a PC gamer and most are American. An old rule of show business is "Know your audience." At this Bliz failed miserably.

What worries me is the announcement by Allen Adham that Blizzard have "many of our best developers now working on mobile titles." If they are "now" working on mobile, what were they working on before? Wow perhaps... There has been a suspicion expressed in the forums since BFA released that devs may have been moved to other projects at Blizzard which might account for the lackluster expac. With Allen's announcement one wonders how correct the pundits actually were.
People here seem to be of the opinion that Blizzard's trying to appeal to their shareholders with Diablo Immortal.

Huh, well that should be easy to prove or disprove. Let's just check their stock prices for the last week and...

https://i.imgur.com/pSedLhB.png

So... Yeah... About that "appeal to the shareholders" thing...
11/08/2018 01:56 PMPosted by Zeropointt
11/08/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Ughash
... I don’t think it’s going to do good even if it is good. Fan base is upset (as am I because Diablo made me buy a PC just to play it). And mobile has a terrible name to it, people are going to hate and tear that game apart (people like me) no matter what <3.

What’s gonna happen if it is good, some weird cult following will evolve and us pc guys will be left in the dust still screaming that blizzard sold out.
That’s really the bottom line.

Blizzard isn’t the first once-great gaming company to say, “You know what guys? It’s time to fatten those wallets”. And at the end of the day they’re going to do what they think will make them richer no matter what we say.

They’ll only start listening if they fail spectacularly and Hearthstone has proven to them that there’s a low-effort, high-yield market out there.

And let’s be real for a second- if you were Blizzard, wouldn’t you be waiting with impatience for the first opportunity to ditch your overly emotional psycho fanbase for a quieter, more profitable market?

Time will tell, but very little we do will impact it.

This comment is just full of stupid
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

Have you considered you might not be the target demographic?

It will be - to the global mobile gaming community it is designed for - not for you obviously.
11/08/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Charné
The game will likely do very well in regions not so dedicated to PC/Console games, like Asia.
The average commute (via train) to work in some parts of China is SIX HOURS!

Hence why mobile gaming is exploding in China.

They really should have announced Immortal alongside something else for Diablo. This was just a massive PR snafu, all the way around. I felt bad for Chang up on the stage when he started getting booed... until his fellow idiot developer snarked out something incredibly stupid, "Don't you all have phones!?" /facepalm

Mobile gaming is fine. Just not as a centerpiece announcement at a PC gaming convention (and it's not cancer like some commentators on Youtube have opined). I spend an untold number of hours on my iPad Mini (4+ hours a day, 3x/week confined to a chair with nothing else to do? You're damn right I have my iPad & mobile games!). I'd be playing Hearthstone in this time slot, but the wifi at the clinic is heavily filtered & b-net is blocked. >.<
11/08/2018 03:38 PMPosted by Yvenathilm
Bobby Kotick better hope this statement from Activision to the Investors doesn't backfire since they won't like being lied to and may get him fired!

One can only hope. He is a doo doo head
How could they do this? It's an affront to the games' legacy. Diablo is a mature rated game. Full of death, decay, demons, blood, gore, violence, satanic, and dark symbolism - and they are dropping the mature rating to what, a Teen or Everyone rating? All just to reach a broader audience?

That is disgusting. You dilute a game that much and you're left with a shell, and empty husk of what the game used to represent. What's next? Nightmare on Elm Street getting a PG rating to make it more accessible and introduce more people to the franchise?

People will be in for a surprise when they play a kiddie version of Diablo, only to discover that Diablo has very dark and awesome roots! Explain that to the kids and parents!

I'm all for blizzard making money, they are a business, but for sake of your fans, just create a new IP. You've done it before with Hearthstone and Overwatch! You have massive amounts of talent at Blizzard, don't forsake your Diablo fan base for just a quick buck.
11/08/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Arazlok
Literally just said "We believe the vocal community will remain loyal to the Diablo franchise and continue to play the game" I can't make this up.

I watched Blizzcon, I was pretty excited for something like a D3 expansion, class, or even a D2 remaster (I have never played D1 or D2 but I like ARPGs in general) I even reinstalled D3 because they mentioned (Well the season is gonna end MAYBE by ___ date and I took that as a sign as it will end before because big news) and all I get is some balding Asian guy telling me about a phone game...I dont even have a smartphone. I will wait for Torchlight's new game (Frontiers? which is being sold as an MMO thing but Torchlight started as 3 classes and had a sequel of like 4+) or Grim Dawn's new expansion or even Titan Quest at this rate.

They are trading one set of fans for another set of fans. Get on board or adios!
If a brain dead game where you shoot birds at bricks can do well, then a crap version of Diablo can do well.
11/08/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Ollin

That's because diablo immortal wasn't made for us.

It was made for the chinese market.

Good thing then they chose to announce it as their headlining presentation at Blizzcon 2018. You know, the one at Anaheim, California.
Remember, the quarter that this call is referring to ended in September and isn’t reflective of today. It takes 6 or so weeks from the end of a quarter to when they actually post numbers.
11/08/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Eberwyn
If a brain dead game where you shoot birds at bricks can do well, then a crap version of Diablo can do well.

Too much "conventional wisdom" being thrown around without much real thought behind it.

Know the demographic. If most mobile NA gamers are 65+ and FEMALE how in the hell do you expect them to play Diablo? Any Diablo game for that matter?

Yes, I would argue that to a 65+ year old female Candy Crush is probably way more fun. In fact I'd think Candy Crush on mobile is just way more fun than Diablo on mobile. Not because Diablo was ever a bad game but some games are simply better on mobile than others.

Diablo Immortal was put on display in Blizzcon, basically the PC gamer mecca for a reason. Blizzard *thinks* their PC gamer customer is going to go out and get Diablo Immortal. They are truly hoping for that. If they went into Blizzcon thinking PC Gamers wouldn't want it they wouldn't have shown it.

There is a lot of risk going into what amounts to a suicidal marketing ploy and the shareholders see that.
11/08/2018 02:15 PMPosted by Menard
11/08/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Crepe
I think the important thing to keep in mind with shareholder calls is that they're not talking to us. They're talking to the investment community. Nearly 80% of ATVI is held by hedge funds and institutional investors. That's who they're talking to with these calls.

These calls are reflections on where the company currently is and guidance for how the company feels it will perform in the future.

As mentioned earlier, this isn't the audience you tell "hey we're releasing a new game that's going to take a nose dive." And a single new mobile game isn't where they're hanging the company's hopes and dreams for the next year.

Exactly what Crepe is saying. Large firms, some over 10%, hold onto Blizzard's stock. Blizzard came out and said they made $4,000,000,000 in transactions in 2017. Shareholder response is "Great... so make more in 2018."

Diablo Immortal will be well received "overall". By overall they mean in other markets, not with the PC crowd.

It's sad that the owners of the company are completely detached from the products it produces.

They just want Blizzard to make money. They don't care how it's done.
11/08/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Pikkarg
11/08/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Eberwyn
... If a brain dead game where you shoot birds at bricks can do well, then a crap version of Diablo can do well.

Too much "conventional wisdom" being thrown around without much real thought behind it.

Know the demographic. If most mobile NA gamers are 65+ and FEMALE how in the hell do you expect them to play Diablo? Any Diablo game for that matter?

Yes, I would argue that to a 65+ year old female Candy Crush is probably way more fun. In fact I'd think Candy Crush on mobile is just way more fun than Diablo on mobile. Not because Diablo was ever a bad game but some games are simply better on mobile than others.

Diablo Immortal was put on display in Blizzcon, basically the PC gamer mecca for a reason. Blizzard *thinks* their PC gamer customer is going to go out and get Diablo Immortal. They are truly hoping for that. If they went into Blizzcon thinking PC Gamers wouldn't want it they wouldn't have shown it.

There is a lot of risk going into what amounts to a suicidal marketing ploy and the shareholders see that.
This isnt marketed towards NA, China is the market. Mobile gaming is big over there cause everyone rides trains and buses all day. Many wont even know its part of a series that's why its called Diablo Immortal. For many this is going to be "the beginning".
Blizzard is the new EA. I'm surprised they haven't been bought out yet. When you do everything you can to please shareholders, everyone else (customers, employees) suffer.