Blizzard/Activision share holder call

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 12 Next
11/08/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Arazlok
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.
And I posit that the 'fanbase' is out of touch with itself, and has an overinflated sense of their role in Blizzard's financial and development decisions (spoiler - they don't have one at all).
11/08/2018 05:54 PMPosted by Eberwyn
11/08/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Pikkarg

Too much "conventional wisdom" being thrown around without much real thought behind it.

Know the demographic. If most mobile NA gamers are 65+ and FEMALE how in the hell do you expect them to play Diablo? Any Diablo game for that matter?

Yes, I would argue that to a 65+ year old female Candy Crush is probably way more fun. In fact I'd think Candy Crush on mobile is just way more fun than Diablo on mobile. Not because Diablo was ever a bad game but some games are simply better on mobile than others.

Diablo Immortal was put on display in Blizzcon, basically the PC gamer mecca for a reason. Blizzard *thinks* their PC gamer customer is going to go out and get Diablo Immortal. They are truly hoping for that. If they went into Blizzcon thinking PC Gamers wouldn't want it they wouldn't have shown it.

There is a lot of risk going into what amounts to a suicidal marketing ploy and the shareholders see that.
This isnt marketed towards NA, China is the market. Mobile gaming is big over there cause everyone rides trains and buses all day. Many wont even know its part of a series that's why its called Diablo Immortal. For many this is going to be "the beginning".

So the hope is instead of selling 10 million units in NA, you sell 10 million units in China. Because for all intents and purposes that's what will happen.

Instead of you know, making an IP for a mobile crowd and having D4 already rolling out or a D3 expansion to make millions on PC at the same time?

Genius. Too bad Blizzard is missing some of that.
There is nothing wrong with them getting more involved in mobile market. It's a very good business decision. DI will do well enough for them. I don't know what kind of mobile games they're looking at for other franchises. The Warcraft RTS series may actually work on mobile better than Diablo.

The backlash is mainly because they made a huge PR blunder introducing it at Blizzcon with no accompanying PC announcement. If it had been a multi-platform game it would have made more sense given the new lore introduced in it and that would have gone over much better as well.

I won't play DI myself because it's not the kind of game I'd play on a phone. But i think people shouldn't automatically bash mobile games. I played on consoles and handhelds for a long time before getting into computer gaming. Times and people's tastes constantly change and companies should try to adapt, but at the same time not abandon the base that made them successful in the first place.
I love blizzard and all but Mobile is bad move. take up memory and drain battery quickly. Why would they do approach by this?
11/08/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Entropíc
11/08/2018 02:15 PMPosted by Menard

Exactly what Crepe is saying. Large firms, some over 10%, hold onto Blizzard's stock. Blizzard came out and said they made $4,000,000,000 in transactions in 2017. Shareholder response is "Great... so make more in 2018."

Diablo Immortal will be well received "overall". By overall they mean in other markets, not with the PC crowd.

It's sad that the owners of the company are completely detached from the products it produces.

They just want Blizzard to make money. They don't care how it's done.

^ This.

CoD didn't meet expectations. Blizzcon had no big 'reliable' reveals. Even Candy Crush couldn't turn the tide (lol). Actually, King is only slightly behind Blizzard in sales so far this year. Activition even with CoD is far behind Blizz and King. Throw in that ATVI management guided Q4 below expectations (baking in COD expectations) and the stock gonna get hit even more.

But.. I think mobile will be big for Diablo. Eventually. But since Blizz doesn't have any forks of WoW or SC2 or Diablo on mobile, there's no track record. Hearthstone is mobile and has done great for Blizz but as a card game doesn't compare to an ip like Diablo. What's the time frame and how much is it expected to bring in? The big money guys don't like uncertainty but they hate underperforming more. Going to be interesting to see where ATVI closes tomorrow.
11/08/2018 06:02 PMPosted by Ghaghzull
I love blizzard and all but Mobile is bad move. take up memory and drain battery quickly. Why would they do approach by this?

They can make mobile games just present it in much bettter way then did
It will probably do very well among the people it is for.
The large group of people that play games on their phones.
11/08/2018 06:01 PMPosted by Revannia
There is nothing wrong with them getting more involved in mobile market. It's a very good business decision. DI will do well enough for them. I don't know what kind of mobile games they're looking at for other franchises. The Warcraft RTS series may actually work on mobile better than Diablo.

The backlash is mainly because they made a huge PR blunder introducing it at Blizzcon with no accompanying PC announcement. If it had been a multi-platform game it would have made more sense given the new lore introduced in it and that would have gone over much better as well.

I won't play DI myself because it's not the kind of game I'd play on a phone. But i think people shouldn't automatically bash mobile games. I played on consoles and handhelds for a long time before getting into computer gaming. Times and people's tastes constantly change and companies should try to adapt, but at the same time not abandon the base that made them successful in the first place.

I don't think this can be stated enough.

Had they had D4 as a card - and then D:I to go along with it?
The crowd would have gone nuts.

Just poorly planned.
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

And they're not wrong either.

Just because a game doesn't appeal to you, doesn't make it bad.

Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm don't appeal to me. They are still extremely popular games.

Immortal will do great among its target audience.
To be honest D:I will undoubtedly do well due to micro-transactions, the issue isn't if they do, but what will happen to us (pc gamers) when they do, like are they going to make new mobile games every few years, or are they going to make PC, and Mobile games periodically?
11/08/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Bangnfire
are they going to make PC, and Mobile games periodically?

This.

It'd be disastrous for Blizzard to not expand into new markets, but they're definitely not going to ignore their old markets either.

Blizzard makes games for three platforms: PC (Windows and Mac), Console (Xbox, Playstation and now Switch) and mobile (Android and iOS)... If they cater to all three of those platforms, it'd be great for them financially.
acti/blizz stocks crashing right now not looking good.

By China. In case you have not figured it out we are not the target audience.
11/08/2018 06:46 PMPosted by Ryarna
Just because a game doesn't appeal to you, doesn't make it bad.

He isn't alone. You are the one with blinders on, a cone over your head in a P2P discussion with a subject that has tens of thousands of vocal critics.

This mobile market for Diablo is mythical at this point. It hasn't happened and everyone is throwing around conventional wisdom on how well mobile Diablo will do, except it hasn't done anything so far.

There are other scenarios you aren't considering. Like Candy Crush isn't Diablo. Some games are great on mobile and some aren't. A relatively complicated ARPG may not do so well on mobile. A game known for PC performance and density and netcode may not do well at all on mobile. Unlike Candy Crush or Angry Birds there really isn't a barometer for Diablo mobile. Some Chinese ARPG mobile does well? What makes people think Diablo will do the same?

Diablo is known to have sold as many copies in the US as it did across the entire globe with some estimates saying 1/3rd of Diablo purchases at the end of 2001 were US copies. What happens when 1/3rd of the market hates the game before it even releases? What happens when Asian and European PC gamers also hate it?

There are way too many variables to consider to call it a safe bet.

And then there's the one hey, what if the game is bad? Diablo 3 wasn't that good.
So sad :(

Blizzard, before Ion/Activision, come back!!!
There's nothing wrong with wanting to branch out to Mobile or Console, I actually see it as a good thing, and I've actually went from disappointed, to somewhat excited about it.

I think people just need to see what happens, for all we know people are blowing the entire thing out of proportion and it will end up doing really well.
I'd rather buy Diablo 2 then that garbage.
11/08/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Pikkarg
He isn't alone. You are the one with blinders on, a cone over your head in a P2P discussion with a subject that has tens of thousands of vocal critics.

And none of those critics are relevant, because they aren't the target audience for the game.

Diablo is known to have sold as many copies in the US as it did across the entire globe with some estimates saying 1/3rd of Diablo purchases at the end of 2001 were US copies. What happens when 1/3rd of the market hates the game before it even releases? What happens when Asian and European PC gamers also hate it?

Take a look at the video by Soul on his youtube channel where he openly admits that he doesn't like mobile games, and yet enjoyed Immortal.

And then there's the one hey, what if the game is bad? Diablo 3 wasn't that good.

I thought Diablo 3 was okay. I mean, there were some mismanaged stuff - the auction house comes to mind - but I still enjoyed the time I spent in the game.

11/08/2018 07:06 PMPosted by Sinelus
I'd rather buy Diablo 2 then that garbage.

Have you played it yet? It seems to me that a lot of players are judging it because it is a mobile game.

Again, the PC crowd are not the target audience for Immortal. It's a mobile game, intended to bring in mobile gamers into the franchise, and into the Blizzard family.

Kinda like how Pokemon Go brought in new players to the Pokemon franchise, and Hearthstone brought in new players to the Warcraft franchise.
11/08/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Crepe
I think the important thing to keep in mind with shareholder calls is that they're not talking to us. They're talking to the investment community. Nearly 80% of ATVI is held by hedge funds and institutional investors. That's who they're talking to with these calls.

These calls are reflections on where the company currently is and guidance for how the company feels it will perform in the future.

As mentioned earlier, this isn't the audience you tell "hey we're releasing a new game that's going to take a nose dive." And a single new mobile game isn't where they're hanging the company's hopes and dreams for the next year.

That's the problem.

Blizzard is no more, only Activision remains. Share holder return has overcome the longstanding 'Games by Gamers for Gamers.'

(shrug) RIP
I'm waiting for the flip side.

When do we get Candy Crush Immortal for PC? HMMMMM!?!?