Blizzard/Activision share holder call

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 12 Next
11/08/2018 04:54 PMPosted by Bootytickles
Just chiming in to say...man, Snowfox, you have one badass transmog right now.

Oh and thank you :) I'm trying to do a different xmog theme each day.
11/08/2018 07:03 PMPosted by Exposed
11/08/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Arazlok
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

By China. In case you have not figured it out we are not the target audience.
What are you talking about? Of course it's being designed for us as well when they removed the Witch Doctor, mortal Tyrael(he's back in his archangel form, even though it takes place after he's given up his immortality), and all gore when those are all things that just happen to cater to the Chinese market.
Everyone knows that Blizzard's fanbase is dwindling due to age right? How many of you have nieces and nephews? Or kids of your own? I work with kids every day from all age ranges. Many of these kids consider themselves "gamers". Do you know how often these kids talk about a Blizzard game? Never.

If they're talking about a MOBA it's either LoL or Dota but never HotS. Overwatch is kinda played out and completely replaced by Fortnite. Warcraft and StarCraft are never mentioned (the entire MMORPG and RTS genres in general are never mentioned) and only one kid of the hundreds I've interacted with has mentioned D3. Blizzard does need to find a way to reach this market if they want to last. I don't hate on their decision to try mobile... as long as they don't leave PC fans behind.

I do question hyping up a Diablo announcement at Blizzcon and then announcing a mobile game in front of a PC player base though...
11/08/2018 07:51 PMPosted by Snikrot
Everyone knows that Blizzard's fanbase is dwindling due to age right? How many of you have nieces and nephews? Or kids of your own? I work with kids every day from all age ranges. Many of these kids consider themselves "gamers". Do you know how often these kids talk about a Blizzard game? Never.

If they're talking about a MOBA it's either LoL or Dota but never HotS. Overwatch is kinda played out and completely replaced by Fortnite. Warcraft and StarCraft are never mentioned (the entire MMORPG and RTS genres in general are never mentioned) and only one kid of the hundreds I've interacted with has mentioned D3. Blizzard does need to find a way to reach this market if they want to last. I don't hate on their decision to try mobile... as long as they don't leave PC fans behind.

I do question hyping up a Diablo announcement at Blizzcon and then announcing a mobile game in front of a PC player base though...

Wow.. I am like 100% aligned with your post.
11/08/2018 01:47 PMPosted by Arazlok
They just said they believe the Diablo fan base will remain loyal and continue to play the franchise.

Oh I will, just never on mobile. I don't really play games on my phone. I think the closest I come is the table app for wow.
11/08/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Ebolachan
The video game company, which owns the Call of Duty and World of Warcraft franchises, reported 345 million monthly active users for the quarter, down from 352 million the previous quarter.

This is misleading as the loss of Monthly active users was in King Entertainment.

Q2 2018 slides -

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/80b94f0b-2ec2-48aa-a826-40077312a712

Q3 2018 slides -

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/8229563c-2259-46c7-8acb-42ea074b896f

Page 6

King Entertainment at 262 million MAU down from 270 million. Acitivision was at 46 million MAU up from 45 million. Blizzard Entertainment was stable at 37 million MAU.
My guess is Diablo Immortal is mainly meant for the Chinese market. That seems like a bad idea now because I hear the Chinese government is going to be cracking down hard on games over there. So aside from the corruption, censorship, and piracy, they will have a nightmare of a time even getting their foot in the door.

I don't see the appeal of phone games at all, so I obviously have no interest in the game myself. But aren't phone games mainly targeted at the most casual of casual players? I can't see Diablo being what people will go to when cute stuff seems to be what's on top of the mobile world. At least Hearthstone had that non-threatening image to it.
Investor conference calls aren't for us. They're for the shareholders and investors.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4220179-activision-blizzard-atvi-q3-2018-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

And last week, Blizzard announced Diablo Immortal, which will bring this tenfold franchise to a mobile audience in both the east and the west. While fan reaction was muted to the announcement, players' hands-on experience (08:19) this content confirmed what we believe, which is that Diablo mobile will be a very well received game when it releases, and players around the world will love it.

"Muted" as about as negative they'll ever get on a quarterly conference call.

Also from the QA -

Diablo is an important tent-pole franchise for Blizzard Entertainment, and we have – one of the things we said is we have multiple teams working on multiple different projects for the Diablo community. We feel that Diablo Immortal is going to deliver a very authentic Diablo experience, and we're not going to compromise on that mission. Launching the game is only going to be the beginning. There's going to be ongoing support, and we're only going to release the game when we feel like it is meeting the community's very high standards. In the end, Diablo Immortal is going to fulfill that, and we think that people are going to experience it, and we think that they're going to love it.
Honestly.. this is an attempt to tap into the Asian market, which is heavy into mobile games.

The problem overall.. is that Immortal wouldn't have been a big deal if it was an 'And we are also doing this'... deal.. not a headliner release. If they had headlined with a major PC release for Diablo (either a remastered or Diablo 4), then Immortal wouldn't have been anything more than a 'ah, that is also a thing' for markets outside of those who are heavy into mobile games.
11/08/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Rea
Honestly.. this is an attempt to tap into the Asian market, which is heavy into mobile games.

The problem overall.. is that Immortal wouldn't have been a big deal if it was an 'And we are also doing this'... deal.. not a headliner release. If they had headlined with a major PC release for Diablo (either a remastered or Diablo 4), then Immortal wouldn't have been anything more than a 'ah, that is also a thing' for markets outside of those who are heavy into mobile games.

Or even another D3 expansion. Anything other than the mobile reveal on its own.
Only here have I ever heard something as simple but extreme as "All Mobile Games are Bad." Everywhere else is having a more nuanced conversation: "this game has too many microtransactions, this game is great but not enough content, this game throws currency at you but it's a bit simple."

Only here are people deriding an ENTIRE PLATFORM as illegitimate and speaking matter-of-factly about how it'll fail even though they supposedly refuse to have anything to do with that platform, so how should they know?

I was literally shocked when the forums exploded with the anti-mobile sentiment. Like, no where else on the internet have I ever seen that kind of thing. I've seen anger towards certain kinds of mobile games, but the whole platform? Sheesh.

If it's a well made game, it'll do well. I think it looks great, and I play all Blizzard games. I'm excited to see what other mobile titles they have coming. I love mobile games (all games really). What are y'all using your phones for? My phone is literally used 95%+ for games. Why would you not want more games?! Baffling.
11/08/2018 08:26 PMPosted by Mortex
Only here have I ever heard something as simple but extreme as "All Mobile Games are Bad." Everywhere else is having a more nuanced conversation: "this game has too many microtransactions, this game is great but not enough content, this game throws currency at you but it's a bit simple."

Only here are people deriding an ENTIRE PLATFORM as illegitimate and speaking matter-of-factly about how it'll fail even though they supposedly refuse to have anything to do with that platform, so how should they know?

I was literally shocked when the forums exploded with the anti-mobile sentiment. Like, no where else on the internet have I ever seen that kind of thing. I've seen anger towards certain kinds of mobile games, but the whole platform? Sheesh.

If it's a well made game, it'll do well. I think it looks great, and I play all Blizzard games. I'm excited to see what other mobile titles they have coming. I love mobile games (all games really). What are y'all using your phones for? My phone is literally used 95%+ for games. Why would you not want more games?! Baffling.

That is because the reputation for Mobile gaming being a cesspool of microtransaction fodder is well earned.
11/08/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
King Entertainment at 262 million MAU down from 262 million.
? ? ?
11/08/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Snowfox
I guess we'll see.

Let's say it does do well though, are we going to get a flood of people coming here going "lol I was wrong, they're raking it in!"

I ... doubt it.

Pretty much this.
morons will pay .99 for a health potion so it mite be.i say let blizzard take their money who cares.

its not affecting wow so let blizzard make money.
11/08/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Teufelgott
King Entertainment at 262 million MAU down from 262 million.
? ? ?

*waggles fingers* You see nothing!
Going mobile will/is/was never meant for the fan base. It's for the millions upon millions of kids who 1: can afford a phone and 2: the federal government will gladly subsidise a phone, for those that cannot. It's a win win.

The fan base for any small company, will always be the foundation for all successful companies, unfortunately it's those that will suffer in the end.
11/08/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Raiyyn
11/08/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Arazlok
Just said they believe Diablo Immortal will be well received overall. These people are so out of touch with their fan base.

So...

The current fan base doesn't particularly care for mobile games (and, yes...they probably didn't pick the right venue to announce a mobile-only game), so because of that they can not **EVER** seek a new subsection of "gamer" or put anything out that may give them access to a different type of fan?

Okie Dokie! Got it! Blizz is NOT allowed to put anything out for anyone that is not a current fan of Blizzard games! They ABSOLUTELY CANNOT!! under any circumstance delve into a different type of game or a different type of gamer!

On the same page now! YAY ME!

Do it with a new IP then. Don't bring back an IP that has gotten hardly any love in like 5 years that is one of Blizzard's most popular (and one of the reasons they did well in early 2000's combined with Brood War), just to say screw over your players that got you to this point. Blizzard has notoriously been a PC company. Don't reveal a mobile only game at a convention that like 95% of the people attending are PC players. At least announce it as a different IP. I mean it wouldn't have taken much more effort for it to be a random IP since Diablo Immortals is already just a pallete swap.
Ouch on the stock drop. However, all is not lost. Redouble the effort and passion for your customers and make pc masterpiece games again. Customers and investors win. We all win.