You guys know that Blizzard's CFO is from Activision, right?

General Discussion
What people don't understand is the CFO allocates funds. The have a budget that is set. If a product is making money and it is trending upwards, more money will be allocated. If you have a product the makes money but is trending down they will decrease the money allocated to it to balance the books.

So you can all call out the OP but guess which way the product we play is trending.
11/08/2018 04:41 PMPosted by Snowfox
Man, tinfoil hatting IS SO FUN!

* Hits Snowfox over the head with a rubber chicken *
11/08/2018 04:46 PMPosted by Eranos
11/08/2018 04:05 PMPosted by Zipzø
Not many people seem to know this, but Blizzard has been sporting a relatively new CFO (I think a 6 month tenure so far), who was a direct injection from Activision.

If there was ever a dispute as to whether Blizzard is influenced by them...well, Activision literally integrated one of their top in to one of the highest positions at Blizzard.

It's all downhill guys...go ahead and give me the sky is falling shill posts, but for the rest of us in reality...not so great times ahead.

Above all Activision wants their titles to be successful. Because successful titles make money. If you guys are going so batty as to assume a company would rather kill one of their golden egg laying ducks, then there is nothing anyone can say to change your mind.

What keeps a title pumping out money and costumer loyalty are two different things. 1 store mount is your 30 day sub. Think of all the things they could sell to boost money numbers up.
11/08/2018 04:56 PMPosted by Snuggi
What keeps a title pumping out money and costumer loyalty are two different things. 1 store mount is your 30 day sub. Think of all the things they could sell to boost money numbers up.

No one who hates this game is buying that silly mount. If they do, then that's on them for being careless with their money. It was for those of us who were going to be subbed regardless.
Above all Activision wants their titles to be successful. Because successful titles make money. If you guys are going so batty as to assume a company would rather kill one of their golden egg laying ducks, then there is nothing anyone can say to change your mind.

They make their money up front, selling expansions. Retention doesn't seem to be a key part of their philosophy. Could be because the game is just old, and people don't stick around. Could be people don't stick around because the emphasis isn't on retention. I don't doubt that a CFO could analyze retention and determine that the best approach is to hype and sell an expansion every two years, hoping band-aids like tokens and mounts tied to long subs will offset the loss of subs. The game hasn't has staying power since Cataclysm. The recognize that, and adjust accordingly.

These are no longer gamers making games for other gamers. It's a large company squeezing every dime out of every product. If you think they don't analyze and adjust you are fooling yourself.
All the white knights defending this trash make me laugh. The game is a shell of it's former self and most of the long time players will agree.

A lot of the most influential players in the history of the game have voiced how bad it's gotten and they know a hell of a lot more about the game then this trash general forum. I for one will not be supporting another Activision title because that's what this game is now!

IKR? Nothing like ignoring reality. My made up World is so much more interesting than the real one.

: )
oh god, the guys that made River Raid?
11/08/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Zipzø
11/08/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Inviscerate

Your tin foil hat needs to be loosened.

Please explain how this information is insignificant.

Because businesses (aside from charity non-profits) main mission is profit. Yeah I know folks like you think money is evil and companies who dare expand their product lines to capture more market share the direct spawns of satan himself....blah blah blah....whatever dude.

Its business that's all it is.

ALSO its video games we're talking about. Unless you are very young and haven't really experienced much in life (or hey maybe you are older than me and just been VERY fortunate to not experience much hardship or loss -- if that's the case Right on...and God Bless you man...) but grown adults who have real responsibilities and real concerns on their daily lives......health of loved ones, their own health issues, finances.....insurance worries, relationship issues, etc. etc......most mature adults ...experience such things yeah worrying about how their video game future looks is about as worrisome as "Man I don't know what to have for lunch".....

Perspective.

You gotta throw more at me than immature fanboy dramatization to make me "worry".
Conspiracy theories aren't necessarily wrong. Just like scientific theories aren't necessarily right. They just have not been proven.

There is nothing wrong with tossing around ideas or theories. It shows you are capable of free thought.

The issue comes when you start spouting baseless claims as facts because you heard it on Youtube or wherever.
11/08/2018 05:26 PMPosted by Bohannõn
All the white knights defending this trash make me laugh. The game is a shell of it's former self and most of the long time players will agree.

A lot of the most influential players in the history of the game have voiced how bad it's gotten and they know a hell of a lot more about the game then this trash general forum. I for one will not be supporting another Activision title because that's what this game is now!
Ok, now I want to know what the prejorative opposite of white knight is for the same reason. By influential I assume you mean youtubers and streamers that somehow know the game better just because the stream it. Let me just say that I support your decision to remove yourself from the forums. :)
11/08/2018 04:30 PMPosted by Bellamas

If their new CFO is from Activision, he will bring their culture with him. From what I understand about Activision is that they are not interested in gaming per se. They are only interested in how it makes them money, and increasing that every quarter. For a long term game like an MMO that could be a very bad way of thinking.

I don't think the OP is as "crazy" as y'all think.

You are confusing Activsion-Blizzard with Activision. Acivision-Blizzard is the holding company that doesn't focus on game development.

Blizzard taking about mobile gaming and micro-transaction has been going on in Blizzard long before she joined the company.
11/08/2018 04:41 PMPosted by Alyuzandro
This was the most Activision like Blizzcon yet.
They shilled Destiny like it was a Blizzard product in the opening and the studio behind the scenes footage all referenced Activision’s studios.

I was at Blizzcon, and I thought Ion and the WoW team had a lot of good things to say.

Diablo on the other hand... that room was an absolute nightmare.
11/08/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Zipzø
11/08/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Inviscerate

Your tin foil hat needs to be loosened.

Please explain how this information is insignificant.

Because everyone says this all the time and its not true.

Blizzard makes decision with regards to Blizzard games. You know Activison didn't buy Blizzard, they merged.

What happened with Diablo was a Blizzard decision
11/08/2018 04:23 PMPosted by Solarwynds
I would like to know what the prejorative opposite of shill is.

Why wouldn't you simply look it up?
11/08/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Dreadmoon

* Hits Snowfox over the head with a rubber chicken *

WTS [Tin foil hat] 40,000 gold. Gives a 100% deflection bonus against government mind control rays, internet logic, and rubber chickens. Only 100 left!

"Successful" to someone whose only measure of success is raw dollars isn't the same as someone who measures success by something intangible like "customer loyalty" or "entertainment value" or "artistic merit".

WoW could be a lot more "successful" with an economy of microtransactions, RNG loot boxes, and a greater focus on paid services. WoW won't be a truly "successful" game in the eyes of someone like that until every possible square inch is monetized to the maximum sustainable extent.

Don't confuse our vision of "success" where we get the greatest entertainment experience possible with their vision of success, a gambling infested, pay-to-win, "live service" hellscape designed to reap maximum profit.
11/08/2018 06:20 PMPosted by Goliathus
11/08/2018 04:23 PMPosted by Solarwynds
I would like to know what the prejorative opposite of shill is.

Why wouldn't you simply look it up?
I did actually. It was a rhetorical statement for the most part. One of the antonyms was especially awesome but I have been advised to keep it to myself.
I keep warning people 'careful about those demands to fire people because you never know who will replace them.'

i would hope that Blizzard has more common sense than to fire people just because the players demand it. I've never seen anything so bad in game, or even at Blizzcon that I think someone needed to be fired over it.
I do find that I'm not having as much fun as I did in Legion, I'm just not feeling it. You've been there yourself with the game, I remember when you quit for a while.
I could go into reasons, but I've done that.
Now I just play because I have nothing else to do until I can get a new pc, then I will explore other options, play other games.
I would make suggestions, or say what I think should be changed, but it's all been said, and as far as I can tell ignored, so there's really no point in saying it again, and again.