So why didn't Alliance get to "choose"?

General Discussion
Mostly a curiosity. They said they were trying out the whole choice thing with Saurfang and Sylvanas in 8.1.

However, in 8.1, there's also a rather large kerfuffle with Tyrande and Anduin, resulting in Genn telling Anduin, I think for the first time, that he believes Anduin made the wrong decision as a leader.

I understand that no matter what happened between Anduin and Tyrande, Alliance end up helping both of them (unlike Horde where they literally only do one of them). We participate in both the Warfront at Darkshore as well as the Invasion at Dazar'alor. But why were we not given the option to "back" one of them like the Horde were given?

There are clearly two different sides in the Alliance story of 8.1 just like the Horde, and honestly, neither is wrong. Stopping the Horde from gaining the Zandalari as an ally is important (Anduin), but so is stopping the Horde from establishing a base in Darkshore, not only because if they do the Night Elves likely won't get it back, but because Azerite has started spewing out of it. (Tyrande)
There's actually never been much of an inner conflict with alliance.

Horde has seen a constant divide while Alliance are cheery and buddy-buddy. There's no inner conflict... it's too "perfect" which makes it pretty boring.

Alliance story is really boring this way while the Horde story is too repetitive.

edit:
made a mistake, corrected
You mean like, why didn't you get a false choice too?

/shrug
11/12/2018 12:25 AMPosted by Felryn

Horde has seen a constant divide while Alliance are cheery and buddy-buddy. There's no inner conflict... it's too "perfect" which makes it pretty boring.

Alliance story is really boring this way while the Horde story is too repetitive.

edit:

But... 8.1 literally has inner conflict? That's what this is about? Lol.
I don't know. I don't like the Horde have a choice to begin with. I hate that the...once again...are writing in another generic "lets rebel against the warchief" scenario.
That's what you get for playing the faction the devs hate :)
11/12/2018 12:30 AMPosted by Orienn
That's what you get for playing the faction the devs hate :)

The Alliance is secretly called “Meg”
Is the Alliance actually just a collective of people saying the phrase "I'll have what she's having"?
11/12/2018 12:25 AMPosted by Felryn

edit:

Blizzard doesn't write any meaningful decent in the Alliance. Its not that all is sunshine and roses. Its that any disagreement is meaningless becuse its never flushed out into any resolution, action, or consequences.
Either a choice coming in 8.2...or Horde favoritism.
11/12/2018 12:39 AMPosted by Conorn
Either a choice coming in 8.2...or Horde favoritism.

Don’t sell yourself short. You’ll claim favoritism regardless
It's not a real choice for the horde nor is Darkshore a big conflict for the alliance.

edit: the alliance has had inner conflict before but they weren't something the player was involved in (besides helping fandral).
I dont mind not having a choice as alliance. I want what blizzard has written for us. If I dont agree with it, so be it. I use to be horde under Thrall. At this point don't care. All it is is people whining wherever they can alliance and horde.
Also, one of the best written characters in this game was Alliance. Yes im speaking of Arthas. One who turned horde only because if we had to give him a label he's technically horde based on race and faction after he slowly crept into insanity from the Lich King.
The 'real' reason is probably something akin to "We're trying it out once to see if we can incorporate this into the bigger story later on. We want to see how it feels with a single quest before we put it into a wider range of places."

But honestly, all the other non-troll posts pretty much explain it.

Alliance gets a half-assed story as it is, more of an afterthought than anything else, and if it doesn't directly prop up the Horde's narrative it might as well not exist. So why would they waste time making extra quests for the Alliance if they don't have to, it's easier to just throw something together during the after hours. Y'know, like they did in Cata, or cut out the draenei raid and story in WoD, etc etc.
There are clearly two different sides in the Alliance story of 8.1 just like the Horde, and honestly, neither is wrong. Stopping the Horde from gaining the Zandalari as an ally is important (Anduin), but so is stopping the Horde from establishing a base in Darkshore, not only because if they do the Night Elves likely won't get it back, but because Azerite has started spewing out of it. (Tyrande)

And because of his convoluted, poorly thought out plan, not only does he sacrifice a large part of his army as a diversion, including likely press ganged members of the endangered species the Night Elves have become (Im told theres no Human forces on the suicide squad.) but his attack rally's the Zandalari to JOIN the Horde!

Ofcourse the other side of the story isnt much better. Humans refuse to aid in rescuing survivors in Darkshore so Tyrande sends in her VERY limited forces to be thinned out even further on a campaign that results in nothing. She would be far better off trying to find a new home for the survivors instead.

Writers have put us into a damned if you do, damned if you dont situation and worse, we have to take part in both instead of choosing what we believe is the lesser of two idiotic plans.
Another war, another dead horde warchief! no need for options as we have a clear goal!

Making Azeroth Great Again! It's what we do here at Alliance
11/12/2018 12:22 AMPosted by Maizou
Mostly a curiosity. They said they were trying out the whole choice thing with Saurfang and Sylvanas in 8.1.

However, in 8.1, there's also a rather large kerfuffle with Tyrande and Anduin, resulting in Genn telling Anduin, I think for the first time, that he believes Anduin made the wrong decision as a leader.

I understand that no matter what happened between Anduin and Tyrande, Alliance end up helping both of them (unlike Horde where they literally only do one of them). We participate in both the Warfront at Darkshore as well as the Invasion at Dazar'alor. But why were we not given the option to "back" one of them like the Horde were given?

While there's two sides and a bit of conflict you aren't having Malf and Tyrande working against Anduin for this. They just pull some support to focus on Darkshore, they are still part of the whole faction and working towards the same goals. It's more like a poorly run instance group. There is some complaints/fighting, but the group continues on even if one of the team members isn't listening to kill order priorities.

They aren't leaving group to start up their own instance run and asking the other instance members to pick the new group or stick with the current one.
11/12/2018 12:53 AMPosted by Kathyna
Making Azeroth Great Again! It's what we do here at Alliance

Some "alliance". It's just Humans with a Human King calling the shots from a Human city. The rest are either invisible, insignificant or both.
Trust me, I'll gladly give you our inner conflict if it meant the Horde was as unified as the Alliance.