I can already see trust levels complaints

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
11/12/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Snowfox
My advice about this would be simple : When the new forums come, be super incredibly extra careful about your first posts. Post in a way that you could defend them if actioned later... not in a grey area, but where you could show you were trying to post in a friendly constructive way. Do that starting out for a while, feeling out the new forums.

If posters can't restrain themselves to doing that to start with, then maybe some moderation is exactly what they need.

if only that worked...

until you see how it is first hand you dont know how pitiful others can be.

a friend of mine was "flagged as spam/trolling" for agreeing with a post.

another was flagged and punished for agreeing with the masses on a topic of mercy.

the community has no morals and if they dotn agree with what you say they may think "i dont like this as its agaisnt my view...lets flag it"

Not saying ALL flagged posts arent deserving of it (casue many are) just that the system is extremely easy to abuse and there is no way to avoid it. (except not posting at all)

edit: and no punishment for the ones who do abuse it as the system is automated.
The game must be in worse shape than anyone imagined if OP has so little to do but to complain about complainers who aren't even complaining yet.
11/12/2018 11:29 AMPosted by Lockedheart
11/12/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Snowfox
My advice about this would be simple : When the new forums come, be super incredibly extra careful about your first posts. Post in a way that you could defend them if actioned later... not in a grey area, but where you could show you were trying to post in a friendly constructive way. Do that starting out for a while, feeling out the new forums.

If posters can't restrain themselves to doing that to start with, then maybe some moderation is exactly what they need.

if only that worked...

until you see how it is first hand you dont know how pitiful others can be.

a friend of mine was "flagged as spam/trolling" for agreeing with a post.

another was flagged and punished for agreeing with the masses on a topic of mercy.

I get it. Non-sarcastically, I do understand what you're saying about the reporting system and how it can be gamed by a slam of reports.

A certain "oft-spammed streamer" both did that as a test.. and had people here spamming threads about them reporting people in those threads. In some occasions the moderators can be manipulated yeah. The counter-argument is that 'if you aren't doing anything wrong, don't worry'.. but realistically the moderators are more likely to action a grey-area post with 20 reports than a really bad post with 2 reports. I'm not sure how they do report-ranking.. but it does seem pretty obviously and apparently related to the # of reports moreso than the severity of the thing being reported.

With the new forums I think reporting works a little different - with more protection against that kind of slamspam misreporting. We'll see though.
11/12/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Snowfox
With the new forums I think reporting works a little different - with more protection against that kind of slamspam misreporting. We'll see though.

its the OW style forums..thats where my experience is from :| All WoW ones doign is takign that forum system and copying it over for WoW use. no underlying stuff will be changed afaik.

my personal experience is out of 6 silences only 2 were deserved (1 is gray area are the reason why wasnt there when i originally posted link...but thats life. Other being reporting the issue of abuse as a thread and i knew it was agaisnt CoC but it needs brought to the attention of ppl)

the other 4 were abused system ones with ppl who didnt like my posts (it was defending Mercy topic..which if you use OW forums is basically the worst possible thing to do as ppl over there hate her with a passion and support agreed it wasnt valid and reverted the silence each time)

and i say it is automated as if an actual person read the reported post they'd see it wasnt spam/trolling but a normal post with someones viewpoint on a topic.

I hope WoW community is better, but as i have experience with system on OW side I also have to accept the reality that the risk will follow :(
My issue with the trust system is that I usually browse the forums without logging into my account, unless I want to post a reply. Then I'll log out completely and delete all cookies in the browser. I don't like being tracked on my browser, by anyone, not just Blizzard. I guess this forum "rep grind" would take a very long time for me to "level up".
This is communism.
I promise to only upload grumpy cat and silly dog memes. I won't roast anyone's mog unless they ask me too, and I won't call belf males "nancy boys" anymore. I'll be less rude to elves in general, which will be hard but doable I think. I won't refer to Ion as a "scurvy dog" on "Talk Like a Pirate Day" and will be just unbelievably nice at all times. I promise.
11/12/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Jesminia
My issue with the trust system is that I usually browse the forums without logging into my account, unless I want to post a reply. Then I'll log out completely and delete all cookies in the browser. I don't like being tracked on my browser, by anyone, not just Blizzard. I guess this forum "rep grind" would take a very long time for me to "level up".

actually...for you it may be a larger issue in that "forum rep" decays. if u dont read enoguh posts over a period of time you drop down.

it isnt soemthign you need to have. TBH unless ur a popular person who posts you likely wont see any isue by being lvl 1 forever.
11/12/2018 06:21 AMPosted by Slappypappy
Didn't we I could haver sworn way back in the vanilla days we had the ability to post links and images and blizzard put an end to that really quickly if my memory is correct then why give it a second go? I think its nice to be able to im just curious if I am correct about the ability before and it was removed why bring it back?

Maybe it is like WoW in game voice chat. It worked so good the first time why not try again.
It's not. I've been banned and I'm still level 3 on the Overwatch forums.

Getting banned didn't even revoke my level 3 either, so I'd imagine you can "bank" trust beyond level 3.

It's certainly not "one strike and you'll never get level 3 again".

Okay, I stand corrected then. I was basing it off the following from the hots info:

Must not have been suspended (including forum suspensions or in-game account actions of any Blizzard game)
11/12/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Snowfox
I get it. Non-sarcastically, I do understand what you're saying about the reporting system and how it can be gamed by a slam of reports.

A certain "oft-spammed streamer" both did that as a test.. and had people here spamming threads about them reporting people in those threads. In some occasions the moderators can be manipulated yeah. The counter-argument is that 'if you aren't doing anything wrong, don't worry'.. but realistically the moderators are more likely to action a grey-area post with 20 reports than a really bad post with 2 reports. I'm not sure how they do report-ranking.. but it does seem pretty obviously and apparently related to the # of reports moreso than the severity of the thing being reported.

That streamer thing happened a while ago. At the time there were a fair number of threads in the forum being "moderated" by trolls who had declared they were reporting everyone who posted in "their" threads disagreeing with their position on their hot button topic and encouraging others who agreed with them to report those posters.

Two topics I can think of specifically were High Elves and ML removal.

More than once I was silenced for posting in such threads. The copied text I received in the email showed no violation, but enough players, egged on by the instigator, reported me.

That hasn't happened since they announced the penalty for false reporting, which is harsher than that for a minor violation. The trolls got the message.
I dream that if I watch my steps and hold my words, work a hard and true life, I can transfer enough Trust to my child's implant that she may one day hope to live in the sun and sky of the Above.
11/12/2018 11:59 AMPosted by Jelybeantoes
That hasn't happened since they announced the penalty for false reporting, which is harsher than that for a minor violation. The trolls got the message.

they didnt. still happens. even if not as much.

also the post above me made me smile.
11/12/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Cyniel
So how is that going to work when that one streamers minions get sent to the forums? I mean it happens pretty often (or has recently).. Are the moderators going to be more active and not just rely on our reporting? You know as well as I do that they're a blight on these forums and bring no actual discussion to the table.

I don't know. I know they can see trends, and for OW they had to issue a warning and start punishing people for spam flagging that got unpopular (but not trolling) threads locked.

Whelp, then I'll just stop reporting threads.. Most of my posts are tongue in cheek kinda stuff, but those onslaughts are just ......
Oh N'zoth, are they really changing the WoW Forums to that annoying mess, too?

I mean, honestly, what kind of forum puts a limit on how many likes you can give in a day?
11/12/2018 12:11 PMPosted by Laugh
I mean, honestly, what kind of forum puts a limit on how many likes you can give in a day?

i never reached like limit >_< friend told me they were out of likes and i thought they were joking.
11/12/2018 05:49 AMPosted by Crepe
How about a thread talking about some of the things you can do with level 3 once you get it instead?

I mean, we've got enough of these threads already, don't you think?

And I've only seen one person insist that a Rickroll should be the first video link and that's just a sad state of events.

Oh god forbid people have fun in these forums!?!

*You must all act like robots feeling nothing and how dare you think about posting memes!!! THE OUTRAGE!!!!*
11/12/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Crepe
11/12/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Merridae
It doesn't need to but it should allow it. Ethically speaking it isn't the idea you agree with that you should be defending, it should be the ideas that you hate and that the majority hate that need defending from the whims of the majority. If even a single person is not allowed to voice their opinion in whatever fashion that person deems best suited to get his point across colorful language and all, then your opinion at some point will be hated equally by someone else and when that happens the foundation you have built for yourself in the marketplace of ideas turns to quicksand and drags you under with it.

No, it's not necessary to communicate ideas and the community around a video game forum doesn't need it for any reason whatsoever. Voicing an opinion doesn't need profanity, hate speech, vitriol, etc.

The world isn't going to end because someone spanks you if you swear. You just learn not to swear. I can be profoundly insulting to someone and never utter a curse word.

The forum rules aren't onerous. And you're not super duper cool because you can use naughty words.

The thing is swearing is simply an expression to underline certain thoughts. Swearing isn't just "naughty words", that's just what you puritanical Americans have been conditioned to constantly fear and demonise.

In my cultures, both Serb and Australian we swear as a basic part of language, not because we demonise it as being "edgy" or "cool" it is simply an expression of how we feel. Heck swearing half the time isn't even derogatory depending on the tone we are using. If we say something like "!@#$ing well done" it means that you did something really good. If we tell you that "he's one awesome %^-*" we are telling you that person is a really cool bloke.

You guys need to loosen up your ideological puritanism on swearing.
11/12/2018 05:49 AMPosted by Crepe
How about a thread talking about some of the things you can do with level 3 once you get it instead?

Yay cat pictures

I mean, we've got enough of these threads already, don't you think?

No....
11/12/2018 05:46 PMPosted by Rhekkar
11/12/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Crepe

No, it's not necessary to communicate ideas and the community around a video game forum doesn't need it for any reason whatsoever. Voicing an opinion doesn't need profanity, hate speech, vitriol, etc.

The world isn't going to end because someone spanks you if you swear. You just learn not to swear. I can be profoundly insulting to someone and never utter a curse word.

The forum rules aren't onerous. And you're not super duper cool because you can use naughty words.

The thing is swearing is simply an expression to underline certain thoughts. Swearing isn't just "naughty words", that's just what you puritanical Americans have been conditioned to constantly fear and demonise.

In my cultures, both Serb and Australian we swear as a basic part of language, not because we demonise it as being "edgy" or "cool" it is simply an expression of how we feel. Heck swearing half the time isn't even derogatory depending on the tone we are using. If we say something like "!@#$ing well done" it means that you did something really good. If we tell you that "he's one awesome %^-*" we are telling you that person is a really cool bloke.

You guys need to loosen up your ideological puritanism on swearing.

I agree with you but the way I like to put it is simple.

We are dealing with a company based in California ,where a vast number of people are so easily offended by the notion that people have thoughts that do not align with theirs and just words alone will send them off to their little safe spaces.

Not saying the employees there are that way or not but that is the mind set of a lot of people in that state.