Class Leveling Rankings

Classic Discussion
11/12/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Vhok
ya you don't know what your talking about. the two fastest are hunter and feral druid.

Hello, please expand on feral druid.. is this a dps focused build or tanky focused? or.. am I looking at this with too much retail glasses and its something else?
11/12/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Micro
...Umm no it's not. For one you're face tanking. For two you get not armor bonus, have no heals, and can't just make your own food or water. And for 3 you move slower then druids, shamans, and mages.
you can stun lock mobs you know and the yes druids and mages are both top tier leveling classes nobody but hunters beat them. as for shaman you are on par with them as long as you fight humanoids. plus you can stealth past all the stuff you dont to kill for alot of quests. B tier any day of the week

Literally any leveling guide will acknowledge that the only thing slower then a rogue in leveling speed is a warrior.
11/12/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Dibullba
Just sharing what I believe to be definitive rankings for classes leveling. Feel free to share yours if you see otherwise.

S Tier= Mage (AoE with minimal competition), Hunter
A Tier= Priest, Warlock
B Tier= Mage (Single), Rogue, Shaman (Enh), Druid (Feral)
C Tier= Warrior, Paladin
F Tier= Druid (oomkin), Shaman (Elemental)

Not sure where you got this idea from, but........

Rank 1: Hunter / Warlock / Paladin / Druid / Shaman
Rank 2: Priest / Mage / Rogue
Rank 3: Warrior

And to be frank, the real difference between Rank 1 and Rank 2 is minor. Only Warrior really has a harder time in solo play, but if you change it to group play then none of the classes are bad in any way.
11/12/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Khonsura
11/12/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Vhok
ya you don't know what your talking about. the two fastest are hunter and feral druid.

Hello, please expand on feral druid.. is this a dps focused build or tanky focused? or.. am I looking at this with too much retail glasses and its something else?

based on speed run leveling times. feral has beaten some hunters on the charts
If you are talking spec and classes that are bad for leveling. Prot warrior is the worst class/spec to level in. This was changed later in wow when victory rush was added.
So coming back here I have to say something as some people have misconstrued mage aoe'ing as top leveling?...

As Vhok said, Nothing beats Beast Mastery Hunter and Feral Druid.

It's not even the same tier.

Overall BM Hunter is on top but when it comes to skilled level rushing players it's extremely close between them and Feral Druid.
S Tier= Druid(feral), Hunter
A Tier= Warlock
B Tier= Mage, Shaman, paladin, priest
C Tier= Rogue
F Tier= warrior

fixed for you

Edit: also like to mention the difference between A/B/C are not very large
Just sharing what I believe to be definitive rankings for classes leveling. Feel free to share yours if you see otherwise.

A Tier= Priest, Warlock
C Tier= Warrior, Paladin

1. Hunters Warlocks, Druid
2. Rogue, Mage, Priest, Paladin
3. Warrior
4. Shaman

Dunno why ya all rank Shaman mid to high but i leveled multiple Shaman and its by far the slowest class to level of those that i did get to 60 (Shaman, Warrior, Warlock, Priest, Druid).
Enhacement is extremely slow till level 20 because you only have one hander and shield till level 20 and spells drain your mana pool fast.
Elemental is just pain to level because of extreme mana issues of Shocks. Best way to level it is going for Improved Lightning Shield, Convection, Call of the Flame and Elemental Focus. Lightning bolt also isnt a good spell to cast till you get Elemental Mastery in mid to late 40s
11/12/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Vhok
S Tier= Druid(feral), Hunter
A Tier= Warlock
B Tier= Mage, Shaman, paladin, priest
C Tier= Rogue
F Tier= warrior

fixed for you

Edit: also like to mention the difference between A/B/C are not very large

The most accurate list.
11/13/2018 02:27 AMPosted by Rongente
Dunno why ya all rank Shaman mid to high but i leveled multiple Shaman and its by far the slowest class to level of those that i did get to 60 (Shaman, Warrior, Warlock, Priest, Druid).
Enhacement is extremely slow till level 20 because you only have one hander and shield till level 20 and spells drain your mana pool fast.

I used to think the same.... However Pserver leveling guides changed my perceptions massively, and now I have shaman well ahead of most other melees..

Two main ways to go about it early levels:

1. Is 1h flametongue + a shield.... This is more efficient than facetanking with a staff, and is nice for being nearly entirely devoid of gear reliance.

Doing this method I was able to substantially increase my efficiency over 2h "facetanking"

2. (credit Kargoz on this) Is 2h + Rockbiter + Earthbind kiting.
Earthbind totem ends up making kiting between weapon swings the easiest of any and all melees, and Rockbiter ensures consistency. With this method, I end up pulling with Flameshock, dropping Searing totem and earthbind on top of one another, and refreshing lightning shield, then don't cast a single spell again until the mob is dead to activate the 5 second casting rule for spirit regen. In doing this method, mobs are getting half or even one third of the attacks off on you, so your mitigation is actually HIGHER than if you where wearing a shield, and you're spending half of your combat time with full active regeneration.

The end result is a near total obliteration of downtime. As for how you wield a 2hander early? Staves are your friend and should be basically the only weapons you use until RFK @ 29 for a Corpsemaker-2h axe (and by then you can more than afford to spend the point in 2h weapons.

The strategy is very high effort, and I haven't tested it above 40 yet to compare it directly to Elemental leveling, but according to Kargoz's leveling guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhJ78qfgrK4&
It's actually pretty close to Ele overall given it doesn't require time spent drinking
Talk about inaccurate.
You guys have shaman and aoe mage too high imo. Mages and shaman were good at 40+. Mages aoe farming in tanaris was arguably only slightly faster than just questing. When running Joana's guide, you can easily out level aoe farming mages with a lock, hunter, and feral.

Shamans were terribly slow until later levels when you could swap to elemental. Enh was pull twice, drink. pull twice, drink.

How are warlocks ranked so low on some of yalls lists? They have 0 and I mean ZERO downtime in leveling. Hunters still have to drink after a few pulls. Yes you can send your pet in while taking a drink but still your overall ttk(time to kill) is not any faster than a warlock.

Feral can not solo group quests like hunters and warlocks. They are still very fast though.

Warriors were just like enh shamans with having to stop to heal every two pulls.

Rogues were turtle slow in stealth and stealth was required to minimize your downtime in between pulls with cheap shot. Because of stun locking mobs to minimize damage, rogues could out pace warriors.

Paladins I have no comment on since I have always played horde.

Priests oom very often.. especially devouring plague. It would cost you 1/3 of your mana bar.

My rankings with leaving paladins out are..

1. Hunter, Lock
1.5 Feral
2. Mage
3. priest, shaman
4. rogue
5. warrior
As has already been said, Hunters, ferals and locks are way faster at leveling than everything else. Aoe mage can not keep up with those 3.
11/13/2018 02:27 AMPosted by Rongente

A Tier= Priest, Warlock
C Tier= Warrior, Paladin

1. Hunters Warlocks, Druid
2. Rogue, Mage, Priest, Paladin
3. Warrior
4. Shaman

Elemental is just pain to level because of extreme mana issues of Shocks. Best way to level it is going for Improved Lightning Shield, Convection, Call of the Flame and Elemental Focus. Lightning bolt also isnt a good spell to cast till you get Elemental Mastery in mid to late 40s

Why aren't you using staffs until 20, and in many cases beyond 20?
This is the speed ranking...

1. Hunters, Warlocks: These classes almost always win server first, hunters more often than warlocks. Doesn't mean other class can't, but these two classes make a server first WAAAY more than any class else, by far.

2. (Aoe)Mage: Though, incredibly boring way to level.

3. Priest(Non-healer), Druid(Feral): Druid has a slight edge over the priest due to stealth.

4. Shaman(Enhance), Mage(Non-AoE), Rogue: suffer from long downtime, lack of survivability, or low dps.

5. Warrior, Paladin, Druid(Balance): Warrior is the best duo leveling partner, but is slow solo.

6. Priest(Healer), Shaman(Non-Enhanc): This is Priest with no talents in holy dps. Priest is fine 1-40, but severely slows down after that. Resto/Ele Shaman are extremely slow lvlers all around.
11/13/2018 06:49 AMPosted by Tundren

1. Hunters, Warlocks: These classes almost always win server first, hunters more often than warlocks. Doesn't mean other class can't, but these two classes make a server first WAAAY more than any class else, by far.

3. Priest(Non-healer), Druid(Feral): Druid has a slight edge over the priest due to stealth.

4. Shaman(Enhance), Mage(Non-AoE), Rogue: suffer from long downtime, lack of survivability, or low dps.

5. Warrior, Paladin, Druid(Balance): Warrior is the best duo leveling partner, but is slow solo.

6. Priest(Healer), Shaman(Non-Enhanc): This is Priest with no talents in holy dps. Priest is fine 1-40, but severely slows down after that. Resto/Ele Shaman are extremely slow lvlers all around.

Huh. Did not expect to see Boomkin on tier with Warrior and Paladin. But then again, I guess that is simply because you would (or should) choose to do Feral in the first place.

I would agree with this description of leveling speeds.
11/13/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Impact

I would agree with this description of leveling speeds.

shamans and mages still level faster then rogues.
both shamans and mages have movement increasing abilities and have less downtime due to healing and free food/not needing to face tank.
11/13/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Matcauthon
11/13/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Impact
...I would agree with this description of leveling speeds.

shamans and mages still level faster then rogues.
both shamans and mages have movement increasing abilities and have less downtime due to healing and free food/not needing to face tank.
I don't agree, Rogue downtime is about the same in my opinion, it gets better as you level up. They certainly start slow.

They also have stealth/vanish, which in my opinion counters some movement speed perks.