Class Leveling Rankings

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
11/13/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Tundren
11/13/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Matcauthon

shamans and mages still level faster then rogues.
both shamans and mages have movement increasing abilities and have less downtime due to healing and free food/not needing to face tank.
I don't agree, Rogue downtime is about the same in my opinion, it gets better as you level up. They certainly start slow.

They also have stealth/vanish, which in my opinion counters some movement speed perks.

stealth and vanish do help, but that said you're supposed to grind mobs on the way to quest and back from it, so stealth helping you avoid crap does nothing.
your downtime isn't the same because the other two classes have free heals (shaman) and free food (mage). they also don't really get hit that much because of the ability they have to kite (Shaman earthbind totem kiting) and mages from frost bolt. mages also have mana barrier/ice barrier.
they also actually have movement abilities. literally people who test this crap out on the private servers and crap all agree that the only thing that levels slower then a rogue is a warrior.
11/13/2018 08:03 AMPosted by Matcauthon
11/13/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Tundren
... I don't agree, Rogue downtime is about the same in my opinion, it gets better as you level up. They certainly start slow.

They also have stealth/vanish, which in my opinion counters some movement speed perks.

stealth and vanish do help, but that said you're supposed to grind mobs on the way to quest and back from it, so stealth helping you avoid crap does nothing.
your downtime isn't the same because the other two classes have free heals (shaman) and free food (mage). they also don't really get hit that much because of the ability they have to kite (Shaman earthbind totem kiting) and mages from frost bolt. mages also have mana barrier/ice barrier.
they also actually have movement abilities. literally people who test this crap out on the private servers and crap all agree that the only thing that levels slower then a rogue is a warrior.

Rogue time to kill is faster than shamans. Shamans do have a heal but they go oom after two pulls. Rogues have the same downtime with having to heal up after two pulls. Shamans kiting to kill mobs would be so slow lol.
Enh shaman is only slow if you’re an idiot and play 2h enhance WF. Gear str Stam int wear a shield with some avoidance talents (srs) and either a fast 1h and flame tongue or my preference slow 1h with rock biter (underrated). You take minimal dmg and your consistency all around I find better than any other play style so long as you aren’t spamming shocks off cd when mob is under 50%
While rogues might come closer to death than pallies, they definitely kill things much faster. Leveling a pally might be less stressful, it's also probably slower and definitely much more boring.

Also, if you know how to play a rogue you can kill elites. You might have to use all your CDs but you can do it.
I disagree with the OPs Druid placement. They are definitely top tier and very capable of server firsts. As feral they have early movement speed, require minimal gear, have self healing, can use bear form for survivability when multiples are pulled, can stealth past difficult packs to reach objectives, and can require little to no eating/drinking if played correctly which translates directly into less downtime.

I'd place:

1-Hunter
2-Druid
3-Warlock
4-Mage
5-Priest
6-Rogue
7-Shaman
8-Paladin
9-Warrior
I actually would like more details on Druid in terms of leveling. They probably are the class that I know the least about in Vanilla, but that is probably also because they have the lowest payoff when they reach max level. Not saying useless, but definitely not on par with other classes at max level.
11/12/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Vhok
S Tier= Druid(feral), Hunter
A Tier= Warlock
B Tier= Mage, Shaman, paladin, priest
C Tier= Rogue
F Tier= warrior

fixed for you

Edit: also like to mention the difference between A/B/C are not very large

Ty Vhok. That looks fairly spot on.
11/13/2018 09:18 AMPosted by Dibullba
I actually would like more details on Druid in terms of leveling. They probably are the class that I know the least about in Vanilla, but that is probably also because they have the lowest payoff when they reach max level. Not saying useless, but definitely not on par with other classes at max level.
its something like moonfire, prehot, shift into cat for single or bear for multiple targets, then repeat, adjusting for things as needed. aslong as you are making sure not to cap your mana and always have it regening you are gucci
The server firsts are almost always one of two classes.
Hunter or Druid.

Warlocks are good A class levelers but they are most certainly not on par with Hunters overall.
11/13/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Melaned
Hunter or Druid.

Warlocks are good A class levelers but they are most certainly not on par with Hunters overall.
i know this and you know this but the original poster didnt know this
11/13/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Micro
11/13/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Melaned
Hunter or Druid.

i know this and you know this but the original poster didnt know this

And a few other posters here too sadly.
It has been so long since I played vanilla but I remember warlock as being extremely easy to level.

a) You have healthstone, so insta heal
b) You have soulstone, so you save minutes on corpse runs for mistake pulls
c) You have a pet
d) You can finish a pull at full health and mana with drain life, siphon life and life tap (or dark pact I think some builds)

I would usually do large pulls literally by just running through an area and casting siphon life, corruption and agony. I would have 10 or 20 mobs following me, each supplying me with health while they died. Howl of terror if I got into trouble, which was rare.

Dang I can't wait to play classic! I just made up my mind which class.
11/12/2018 06:58 PMPosted by Härländ
11/12/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Dibullba
Just sharing what I believe to be definitive rankings for classes leveling. Feel free to share yours if you see otherwise.

S Tier= Mage (AoE with minimal competition), Hunter
A Tier= Priest, Warlock
B Tier= Mage (Single), Rogue, Shaman (Enh), Druid (Feral)
C Tier= Warrior, Paladin
F Tier= Druid (oomkin), Shaman (Elemental)

Not sure where you got this idea from, but........

Rank 1: Hunter / Warlock / Paladin / Druid / Shaman
Rank 2: Priest / Mage / Rogue
Rank 3: Warrior

And to be frank, the real difference between Rank 1 and Rank 2 is minor. Only Warrior really has a harder time in solo play, but if you change it to group play then none of the classes are bad in any way.

I think you've got Pally's too high. Yes, they can move to the top tier once you hit mid/high 30's, but prior to...they are near the bottom. Overall 0-60, Pally's are somewhere in the middle. Hunters, Locks, Druids will almost always make that 0-60 run quicker.
To everyone relying on private server rankings.... do feral druids typically stay bear form or do they use front shred techniques to achieve fast levelling?

Also move speed from cheetah and feline swiftness could factor in?

Mages need to drink after every pull... skills of the mage to clump up mobs will play a part (xp per pack).
11/13/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Blackstannis
To everyone relying on private server rankings.... do feral druids typically stay bear form or do they use front shred techniques to achieve fast levelling?

Mages need to drink after every pull... skills of the mage to clump up mobs will play a part (xp per pack).

What level do druids get cat form and able to go feral, and what level do mages get decent AoE damage to gather lots of mobs and burn them down? I think the first 10-20 levels for both mage and druid are a slower start but perhaps make up for it later, but I'm not sure.
11/13/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Odinmar
11/13/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Blackstannis

What level do druids get cat form and able to go feral, and what level do mages get decent AoE damage to gather lots of mobs and burn them down? I think the first 10-20 levels for both mage and druid are a slower start but perhaps make up for it later, but I'm not sure.

both cat and blizzard are level 20 but cat is better simply because your moving 30% faster and then 40 at level 30. as a mage you will be lucky if you can buy your mount at 40 and you def won't be able to afford it if your doing speed leveling and this mobility is why druids are far ahead of other classes.

as far as low levels go you just "balance" till 10 then combo spells and bear till 20 they can handle bigger pulls than mages because of heals and bear pre-20 so its not an auto death if you pull too many and are unable to run.
11/13/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Jdpp
Rogue time to kill is faster than shamans. Shamans do have a heal but they go oom after two pulls. Rogues have the same downtime with having to heal up after two pulls. Shamans kiting to kill mobs would be so slow lol.

If you know what you're doing, you should basically NEVER oom.... And I don't think you understand the point of earthbind kiting.... It's the exact same kill speed, but you're only allowing the mob to hit you back when your swing timer is up, so you're taking like 50%+ less damage. It's all the benefits of 2hander DPS, with significantly better "mitigation" than using a shield.

On my pserver shaman right now where I was testing this method out, having watched Kargoz's video explaining it (with math and graphs and stuff too, pretty in depth)... I was able to add flame shock to my rotation as well, and chain pull mobs even 1-2 levels higher with no downtime, and often mana capping mid pull (meaning I probably could change my rotation a bit and weave a 2nd shock in)... and that's with a sub par 2h for my level.

11/13/2018 08:26 AMPosted by Delobro
Enh shaman is only slow if you’re an idiot and play 2h enhance WF. Gear str Stam int wear a shield with some avoidance talents (srs) and either a fast 1h and flame tongue or my preference slow 1h with rock biter (underrated). You take minimal dmg and your consistency all around I find better than any other play style so long as you aren’t spamming shocks off cd when mob is under 50%

See above... I thought the 1h/Flame tongue thing was best too until I saw Kargoz's guide on youtube and tried earthbind kiting 2h for myself, and it blows away 1h/shield leveling in both damage and efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhJ78qfgrK4
11/13/2018 07:48 PMPosted by Vhok
11/13/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Odinmar

both cat and blizzard are level 20 but cat is better simply because your moving 30% faster and then 40 at level 30. as a mage you will be lucky if you can buy your mount at 40 and you def won't be able to afford it if your doing speed leveling and this mobility is why druids are far ahead of other classes.

as far as low levels go you just "balance" till 10 then combo spells and bear till 20 they can handle bigger pulls than mages because of heals and bear pre-20 so its not an auto death if you pull too many and are unable to run.

Yeah let thorns do a good bit of the dmg, heals like a mofo. When Bear form is viable it gets much better. But may the almighty be with you if no one else is there to help you on that lvl 10 quest.
its pretty easy if you root moonfire takes a few minutes but zero damage to you
11/13/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Vhok
its pretty easy if you root moonfire takes a few minutes but zero damage to you

Yeah I agree but I feel like thorns dmg just makes it less mana costy.

I forgot how I did it though tbh, I remember relying heavily on thorns and heals with moonfire dot up most of the time.