Class Leveling Rankings

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
11/13/2018 06:30 AMPosted by Invulnerable
Why aren't you using staffs until 20, and in many cases beyond 20?

The best way to level is a 1 hander, shield, and flame tongue. The spec you want to go doesn't even matter to be honest. All three trees have something to offer.

Resto: Reduced Healing Kickback, Spell Hit/Melee Hit, Totem Range, Natures Swiftness, Great for healing dungeons

Ele: Better shock/LB damage, Ele Focus, Melee Crit Proc, Totem Damage, Spell Crit 100%

Enhance: Better melee damage, static 5% crit, quicker ghost wolf, stronger flametongue

Ele is the best path imo.

Once you get a full set of mail post 40 you can 1v3 mob pulls.
11/13/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Odinmar
11/13/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Blackstannis
To everyone relying on private server rankings.... do feral druids typically stay bear form or do they use front shred techniques to achieve fast levelling?

Also move speed from cheetah and feline swiftness could factor in?

Mages need to drink after every pull... skills of the mage to clump up mobs will play a part (xp per pack).

What level do druids get cat form and able to go feral, and what level do mages get decent AoE damage to gather lots of mobs and burn them down? I think the first 10-20 levels for both mage and druid are a slower start but perhaps make up for it later, but I'm not sure.

Bear at 10 cat at 20.
11/12/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Khonsura
11/12/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Vhok
ya you don't know what your talking about. the two fastest are hunter and feral druid.

Hello, please expand on feral druid.. is this a dps focused build or tanky focused? or.. am I looking at this with too much retail glasses and its something else?

Feral DPS and feral tank is almost the exact same spec for classic. Most talents work for both.
11/13/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Cybertilded
The best way to level is a 1 hander, shield, and flame tongue. The spec you want to go doesn't even matter to be honest.

2h + rockbiter + earthbind kiting is more damage dealt, and less damage taken.

As for spec mattering or not... I mean all 3 specs can heal any leveling dungeons just fine, and Enhance has numerous talents that will increase damage output on the way up, so I'm not sure how you can claim spec to not matter much for leveling.... Maybe 40+ where Elemental is strong enough to -=POTENTIALLY=- surpass the 2h+rockbiter+earthbind kite method you can claim there's a real choice between Ele and Enhance, but you don't need to stop and drink with the latter.

For reference, the 2h/earthbind kite method is so much more efficient, that I'm able to add flameshock to my rotation AND still mana cap again between mobs (meaning I might be able to squeeze a max rank earthshock in there too) while getting the benefit of the damage increase from a 2hander, and while taking LESS damage overall than a shield+fast 1h build because I'm not in range of the mob to do any damage back to me for more than an brief moment every 3-4 seconds (depending on weapon swing timer).
11/12/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Dibullba
Just sharing what I believe to be definitive rankings for classes leveling. Feel free to share yours if you see otherwise.

S Tier= Mage (AoE with minimal competition), Hunter
A Tier= Priest, Warlock
B Tier= Mage (Single), Rogue, Shaman (Enh), Druid (Feral)
C Tier= Warrior, Paladin
F Tier= Druid (oomkin), Shaman (Elemental)

You think mages are top tier grinders in classic b/c of aoe? You spend forever conjuring your new rank of water only to get 2x per, then drink 30 secs to full mana, followed by 1-2 pulls and repeat.

There are only 3 tiers

1. Hunter, Rogue, Feral
2. Warrior, Sham, Mage, Lock
3. Pally, Priest
You can't really order the classes and specs like that. Some excelled at single target killing speed, others had good AoEs but ran OOM quickly, others could be considered slow but they were able to solo elites and such fairly easily, hunters weren't particularly great when it comes to damage but they barely took any damage and didn't have to rest often, stealth classes could skip a lot of mobs and thus quest faster, etc.
Just my opinion here, I know Priests are considered "efficient" levelers because they don't have to drink and people seem to rank them highly because of this but OMG does it take them forever to kill anything at their level range in vanilla wow! I found the leveling experience sooo boring. I guess it makes sense for class fantasy purposes, you wouldn't expect a priest to be good at killing anything right? A shaman may have to drink after killing a couple mobs, but damn does it feel good to burst them to death in seconds. Much better experience than the priest wanding leveling. Definitely recommend having netflix queued up if anyone plans on leveling a priest solo.
11/14/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Veskr
11/12/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Dibullba
Just sharing what I believe to be definitive rankings for classes leveling. Feel free to share yours if you see otherwise.

S Tier= Mage (AoE with minimal competition), Hunter
A Tier= Priest, Warlock
B Tier= Mage (Single), Rogue, Shaman (Enh), Druid (Feral)
C Tier= Warrior, Paladin
F Tier= Druid (oomkin), Shaman (Elemental)

You think mages are top tier grinders in classic b/c of aoe? You spend forever conjuring your new rank of water only to get 2x per, then drink 30 secs to full mana, followed by 1-2 pulls and repeat.

There are only 3 tiers

1. Hunter, Rogue, Feral
2. Warrior, Sham, Mage, Lock
3. Pally, Priest

omg these are the most random rankings i have ever seen. you are either a troll or know nothing about vanilla.
11/14/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Moku
Just my opinion here, I know Priests are considered "efficient" levelers because they don't have to drink and people seem to rank them highly because of this but OMG does it take them forever to kill anything at their level range in vanilla wow! I found the leveling experience sooo boring.

Gotta remember how the leveling process shakes out, also. 45-60 is HALF of the leveling process by time spent, and while priests are a bit slower 1-40..... They are on par or even exceeding warlocks 40-60 once they can get shadowform and full compliment of shadow talents. They are efficient below 40, but they are VERY fast AND efficient after 40, which is why they end up ranking higher.

11/14/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Moku
A shaman may have to drink after killing a couple mobs, but damn does it feel good to burst them to death in seconds.

You won't have to drink between mobs if you earthbind kite... and as for bursting them down in seconds, it's better to Rockbiter over Windfury while leveling as well, even if it is significantly more boring. The reasoning is simply that rockbiter damage has significantly lower chance of getting "wasted" via overkill than windfury does with it's crazy burst swings.

That being said, I do fully agree that WF proccs are significantly "more fun" to see go off, especially while basically white swinging your way to level cap.