Windwalker Feedback: Rushing Jade Wind

Monk
Hey guys!
I wanted to provide some thoughtful, measured feedback on my experience in with windwalker monk.

Something I've heard Blizzard say a few times in the past year is "gameplay first". It's got to -feel- good, then everything comes after. I personally believe Rushing Jade Wind is antithetical to this philosophy. I groan when I have to take it. I honestly believe it should be deleted. Here's why.

-It has no spell interactivity. It stands on its own as "a thing you have to toggle on to do the damage"

-It can be frustrating/confusing. If you cast Tiger Palm at 50 energy, it turns RJW off. This doesnt feel good, especially to a new monk player that may not understand how everything fits together

-It takes what is already a low APM (action per minute) spec and makes it even slower. Im not trying to rag on slow specs. Its -good- we're not all fury warriors and I like the pace of monk. However the second I turn on RJW it is.. infuriatingly slow. I know Im doing more damage but at the cost of.. well.. fun. It makes everything feel bad.

-It has no Azerite trait interactivity.

Im not a theorycrafter, I dont know how to balance this, I know it just feels bad. That being said, I have a suggestion for a replacement talent.

Fury of Xuen
Fists of Fury now applies Fury of Xuen. Fury of Xuen grants a stack of mark of the crane and increases the aoe damage taken by 10%.

This would allow us to empower our aoe in such a way that taking this talent feels good. You get that rising sun kick into a fists of fury and put it into a BIG whirling dragon punch. Then you start your spins. Suddenly you have spell interactivity, a competitive talent for that row, and less tedious micromanagement in dungeons. It could even interact with the new azerite traits.

Thanks for reading guys.
11/13/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Breq
Thanks for reading guys.

Thank you as well :YuThumbsUp:
Hey guys!
I wanted to provide some thoughtful, measured feedback on my experience in with windwalker monk.

Something I've heard Blizzard say a few times in the past year is "gameplay first". It's got to -feel- good, then everything comes after. I personally believe Rushing Jade Wind is antithetical to this philosophy. I groan when I have to take it. I honestly believe it should be deleted. Here's why.

-It has no spell interactivity. It stands on its own as "a thing you have to toggle on to do the damage"

-It can be frustrating/confusing. If you cast Tiger Palm at 50 energy, it turns RJW off.

Which is likely why it's getting reverted to a previous iteration come 8.1, a iteration that I feel wont make the rotation feel as taxing or as slow as the current one does.

Also, if Blizzard continues to balance abilities, functionalities, and rotation around new players, then this makes us even closer to getting the Diablo treatment, with a WoW mobile.
Blizzard catering to new player's that don't put the time in to invest or hone the class their playing is the reason why class design is worse than its ever been.
Its also the reason that WW feels like a shell of the spec it once was, as many other specs do too.

-It has no Azerite trait interactivity.

This can also be looked at as a good thing. Azerite traits have been a bust this expansion, and everybody know's it. I don't like Azerite traits, and I think the majority of the playerbase doesn't either. Azerite trait's, ESPECIALLY from a PVP point of view, just make specs appear to be good, when in reality they are actually !@#$ and rely on a gimmicky azerite trait to do things (Affliction with ID, WW pre-roundhouse nerf / etc).
And then said specs have to suffer without getting any real changes to promote the QoL of the spec, instead the get nerfed and slapped with bandaid that blizzard thinks is okay. Another reason why BFA is so awful.
However since blizzard is only trying to stuff Azerite traits in our face even further come 8.1, I can see why your concerned about this, which I will agree with.

I have a suggestion for a replacement talent.

Fury of Xuen
Fists of Fury now applies Fury of Xuen. Fury of Xuen grants a stack of mark of the crane and increases the aoe damage taken by 10%.

I like it, but I don't think its necessary if Blizzard would just make Rushing Jade Wind function and be as powerful as it was in MOP. I personally like the ability, but i'm not so much a fan of its current version in 8.0 which is why i'm hoping the ability can return to it's glory days, it used to actually do meaningful damage & didn't feel as if it took a huge toll on the flow & speed of your rotation.
Also i'm not one for removing an ability that you can actually press with your finger's for a passive ability.

Suddenly you have spell interactivity, a competitive talent for that row, and less tedious micromanagement in dungeons. It could even interact with the new azerite traits.

btw pvp is a thing.
Suddenly you have spell interactivity, a competitive talent for that row, and less tedious micromanagement in dungeons. It could even interact with the new azerite traits.

btw pvp is a thing.[/quote]

We should tell blizzard that xD rip ww pvp