Separate sub for Classic at the start.

Classic Discussion
Rather than having sharding, consider having a separate sub for Classic for the first month. After that, open it up to be a shared sub between classic and retail.

Not only will it thin the tourist herd a bit, but it will also be a means for Blizzard to judge how big the interest actually is.

IDK if there's much of a chance of this happening though considering they already announced the shared sub at Blizzcon. But we'll see.
Dont make the poor thing a ghost town before it event starts lol. And no,it has no chance of being changed now.
I think we're more likely to see the sub requirement completely removed years from now than see Blizzard concede now and let those of us who don't want Retail get away with not paying for Retail.

:shrug:

I'm making my peace with that, given I didn't even start vanilla on day 1. I started when Naxx was released, so I could wait until they've finished off their "progression" before I even bother to play. As such, I'll probably play only if Blizzard offers more of those "free 7 days" and "welcome back weekends" before the point that I decide I'm willing to spend US$15 or Retail gold.
15 bucks is really good value for a month of gaming honestly.
My suspicion has been that lumping the two together is less about retail players playing classic than being able to say subs have increased by x%. They may also hope that bundling will lead to at least some retail hours played by folks unwilling to pay a sub to access current content. There's no way I'll play BfA, but it's harder to guarantee I won't be tempted to complete a Sholazar questline or go for the Pandaria fishing raft if I'm already subbed in order to play Classic. Guess we'll see how things play out.
11/14/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Zenshigen
Dont make the poor thing a ghost town before it event starts lol. And no,it has no chance of being changed now.

I would say that it has at least as much chance (and probably more chance) of being changed now as does the honor system.
I like how they are doing it. After a month you will have just those folks willing to play Classic as classic. (i'm guessing 10-15% of population) will stick around but over time we will gain another 5% from folks who had /quit after Cataclysm made it nothing like it once was.

I'm thankful that they are saying we will get real servers after the intial sharding for the eventual overload of players "trying/testing" out classic. You know the insta - gratification crowd is going to /leave for retail.
11/14/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Zenshigen

I can't tell you how many games I paid full price for (40-60 bucks) only to play them for 5 or 6 hours and then go back to wow.

This man speaks the truth.
11/14/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Echota
My suspicion has been that lumping the two together is less about retail players playing classic than being able to say subs have increased by x%. They may also hope that bundling will lead to at least some retail hours played by folks unwilling to pay a sub to access current content. There's no way I'll play BfA, but it's harder to guarantee I won't be tempted to complete a Sholazar questline or go for the Pandaria fishing raft if I'm already subbed in order to play Classic. Guess we'll see how things play out.

Good point. I won't have any interest playing retail WoW so it irks me they are going with this model as it will make it seem as if players are flocking back to retail when the reality may be much different.

Unfortunately you do not get to decide that for people. I have logged far more hours in minecraft, Diablo 2 and ArmA2/3 than I have between all the wow expansions I have played, and spent far less.

I am still on the fence to be honest. I may very well never come back to wow at all unless they offer some concessions to get people to return, and spend less effort treating it like a free dlc for bfa players. On concession would be the temporary or permanent box cost for classic access, which would show that they actually give a hoot about stable populations over the long term and server community.

I lost a lot of hope and excitement for this project with the combined sub announcement, sharding, loot trading and whatever other shoes they decide to drop between now and release.
11/14/2018 11:39 AMPosted by Italus
I like how they are doing it. After a month you will have just those folks willing to play Classic as classic. (i'm guessing 10-15% of population) will stick around but over time we will gain another 5% from folks who had /quit after Cataclysm made it nothing like it once was.

I'm thankful that they are saying we will get real servers after the intial sharding for the eventual overload of players "trying/testing" out classic. You know the insta - gratification crowd is going to /leave for retail.

Do you realize that translates into 10-15% of release server population?
You like how they are doing it because you do not have to pay a dime in additional money to get all of classic content.
11/14/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Lagspike

I can't tell you how many games I paid full price for (40-60 bucks) only to play them for 5 or 6 hours and then go back to wow.

This man speaks the truth.
WoW probably saved me more money than it cost me, for the same reason.