Blightcaller too big for his boots?

General Discussion
Why isn't Nathanos leading the Horde at this point? He's significantly more powerful and competent than Sylvanas, raising an army on his own and successfully fighting a demigod, the avatar of a god, and the Alliance PC to a draw.
I like his abuse. It makes me feel loved.
People calling Nathanos a self-insert despite the dude literally being worse to the PC since Vanilla, y'all are cute. If anything Nathanos has lightened up from his Vanilla incarnation and is throwing sass to the enemy primarily instead of the player.

But yeah, to the OP, I enjoy Nathanos particularly because I don't really enjoy this trend of the PC escalating in power levels with each xpac. Nathanos helps bring that drunken power haze down and to remind you that we're not sh!t all while also sh!tting on the enemy more regularly. So yeah, he's great.

Edit: Here, I'll even throw in Nathanos in all his glory back in Vanilla. So much self-insert lawl.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/To_Kill_With_Purpose_(old)

Description
You kill with purpose while you remain on my stead.

Your first task is to feed my hounds.

Take this Mortar and Pestle and travel to Corin's Crossing. Once there, you will find a robust selection of Scourge to slaughter. From their fresh carcasses I need Living Rot. Take that Living Rot and grind it up in the mortar, then let it sit to coagulate. Bring the Coagulated Rot back here.

And imbecile, realize that Living Rot from the undead doesn't remain 'living' for very long. You must kill quickly!

Progress
Are you crying? If this is too 'tedious' for you, 'hero,' I recommend that you head back to the Dark Lady and inform her of the horrible mistreatment you received at my farmstead.

Now get out of my sight!

Completion
Disappointing. I was hoping that I'd be feeding you to my hounds, instead.

<Nathanos sighs.>

Well, at least they'll have something to eat.
A quick google will tell you who his voice actor is. It isn't a staff writer. This is why you have to be careful of what believing what you read on here. Folks will make up lies wholesale to push an agenda.
10/07/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Huggablysoft
LIke above post said, he's one of the writers' self-insertion character. He even does his voice.

Why lie like this? The guy that voices Nathanos is not a writer.
Nice to see the lunatics have found a new head to scream for based only on their made up facts.

I like Nathanos. He's been a powerful character since Vanilla and Horde need characters since Blizzard has killed off so many of ours.
Nathanos being 2nd to Sylvanas actually puts him in a very special position of power. He's not technically above the other Horde leaders, but any Horde leader who were to try to discipline him would likely have to answer to Sylvanas. So he technically has less authority, but has enough where he gets to sass anyone but the Warchief.

I actually like him.
10/07/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Jedfastblast
I can't be the only one sick of Nathanos Blightcaller bossing me and other characters around in that 'you are dirt' tone

Better than listening to Genn.

He has to be the biggest bonehead in WOW history, always getting the Alliance into trash situations and getting good people killed
I like him. He's grumpy, snarky, and unlike every other main NPC he doesn't suck up to you 24/7.

The character may be a self insert, but at least he's a break from the normal "Super Powerful Leader Who Swoons Over the Murder Hobo" that is basically every other character.
He doesn't bother me all that much. Actually, Nathanos gives me a laugh with his sarcasm. The fact that he is a write in, is very cringy to me though.
Nathanos is everything that is wrong with Sylvanas' Horde.

Almost wants to make me say "For the All..."

Sorry choked a bit there. Still better than Nathanos
I'd tolerate him better if his behavior actually matched up with his lore. He's supposed to be this elite human ranger, the only human to earn the distinction, but he acts like a school yard bully with a crush on the goth girl.

Everything he does is full of bluster and arrogance. That doesn't match up with a man who's supposed to have learned the nature of the hunt, the skills of the survivalist, and the patience of an elite elven marksman. A guy like that shouldn't need to prove anything.

When I read Nathanos Blightcaller's lore what I envision is an Undead version of Strider/Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. What we get in the game, however, has none of Aragorn's self-assurance of confidence.

Nathanos in game seems insecure as all get out. He acts like he constantly has something to prove, and feels intimidated by every person around him, so he puts up a big smack-talking front to hide how terrified he is.

It just makes for a very unpleasant, unlikable character who seems to be at odds with his own origin story.

I think Nathanos COULD be a very cool character, but the way he's written just makes him an obnoxious one.
10/09/2018 04:46 AMPosted by Taintedbeef
I like him. He's grumpy, snarky, and unlike every other main NPC he doesn't suck up to you 24/7.

That's why I like him. He's a world class jerk to everybody, except maybe the Dark Lady.

I just hope I never have to grind Blightcaller rep...
It’s actually hilarious that as has been stated his character is one of the blizzard employees self inserts, the guy is so obsessed with the current warchief that he had his self insert be her lover as well. I’m actually worried what he will do if Blizz kills her off
10/09/2018 05:35 AMPosted by Dontfightme
It’s actually hilarious that as has been stated his character is one of the blizzard employees self inserts, the guy is so obsessed with the current warchief that he had his self insert be her lover as well. I’m actually worried what he will do if Blizz kills her off

He might have issues, but there are enough Sylvanas fanbois waiting to kill each other to fill his shoes.

Maybe Blizz could make a contest out of it....
10/09/2018 04:30 AMPosted by Glìmmer
A quick google will tell you who his voice actor is. It isn't a staff writer. This is why you have to be careful of what believing what you read on here. Folks will make up lies wholesale to push an agenda.

10/09/2018 04:36 AMPosted by Tyierin
10/07/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Huggablysoft
LIke above post said, he's one of the writers' self-insertion character. He even does his voice.

Why lie like this? The guy that voices Nathanos is not a writer.

I can’t say his name here cuz the thread will be 404ed but I can tell you the self insert is the senior narrative designer for world of Warcraft. Look him up with that but don’t post his name here.
10/09/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Vivette
People calling Nathanos a self-insert despite the dude literally being worse to the PC since Vanilla, y'all are cute.

https://i.imgur.com/FX4poT6.png

Cute
10/09/2018 05:50 AMPosted by Itsblock

Cute

Haha nice. But, that doesn't explain away the character isn't really acting different that he was in Vanilla? Nathanos being a prick has been at thing before Danuser ever worked on WoW.
10/09/2018 05:54 AMPosted by Vivette
10/09/2018 05:50 AMPosted by Itsblock

Cute

Haha nice. But, that doesn't explain away the character isn't really acting different that he was in Vanilla? Nathanos being a prick has been at thing before Danuser ever worked on WoW.

I never made that argument. I'm specifically responding to the self-insert bit.

The fact that he said rude things in the past (for a single quest, mind you) isn't really indicative of anything.
10/09/2018 05:55 AMPosted by Itsblock
I never made that argument. I'm specifically responding to the self-insert bit.

Well generally when a writer goes "self-insert mode", they'd interrupt/change the character (if they hadn't already made a completely new one to put themselves in) from what they were before. Nathanos, again, doesn't have this issue.