What NPC Made You Pause in Contemplation for a Few Moments?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
One day I decide to level an alt. So I'm questing through Talador on Alternate Draenor and I'm hailed down by this draenei named Nadur. The guy's an absolute wreck. He explains that he and his sister were pilgrims en route to Auchindoun when their carriage crashed due to something as insignificant as an overturned rock. He survived, but his sister, Tuliaa, is lying dead a few feet away. Like, the UI specifically telling me that she's dead, dead. Regardless, Nadur asks for a bunch of random materials found nearby so that he can make a "potion" to bring her back.

Now, at this point I know this isn't going to end well. This guy isn't a priest or necromancer, and he isn't invoking some ancient ritual. He's just a lowly pilgrim looking to mash some random materials together out of desperation to save his sister. Yet, despite the sheer ludicrous nature of the request, I complete it anyway because, in the back of my mind, there's the faintest hope, even if it is improbable, that this woman can be saved.

Nadur is ecstatic when I bring back the materials, he concocts the potion, and uses it on his sister. After a few seconds watching him shout at her to please wake up, it's clear that this isn't going to work. I'm expecting some sort of follow-up quest from him, some sort of second attempt, but that doesn't happen. He simply thanks me for trying, tells me he'll never forget neither me nor his sister Tuliaa. And then he just walks away, presumably to Auchindoun, but I never see him again.

So I just stand there for a moment and ponder what just happened. In an expansion where war and evil was omnipresent, a terrible tragedy befell two innocent draenei siblings. But it wasn't an attack from some feral creature, a malicious demon, or coordinated assault from an enemy faction that killed this woman. It was something as cruel as simple bad luck; an overturned rock in just the right place at just the right time. There was something about how avoidable this whole thing was that seemed to deepen the tragedy of what happened.

WoW has always been a game that painted its narrative in broad strokes, but it also takes the time to flesh out smaller, more meaningful moments and uses NPCs like Nadur and the fan-favorite Runas the Shamed to deliver these sub-narratives.

In your adventures, have you ever come across a Nadur or a Runas? Something that left you taken aback at what you had just witnessed?
There's a cinematic on Youtube about the story of the Barov's from Scholomance, the necromancy that took hold and how their lives and even after death their existence was pure hell.

Shook me up a wee bit.
Shivarra NPCs usually make me pause and contemplate their exposed posteriors.
10/13/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Mortis
why you gotta make things weird
10/13/2018 06:11 PMPosted by Pottaz

To provide entertainment to all :D

So, you've moved on from succubi?

Good for you, Mortis. I'm glad to see you didn't let rejection get the better of you and got yourself back out there. Eventually you'll find a demon that won't look at you with disgust.

Eventually ;}
10/13/2018 06:11 PMPosted by Pottaz

I don't think he can help it.
10/13/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Rorrand

Good for you, Mortis. I'm glad to see you didn't let rejection get the better of you and got yourself back out there. Eventually you'll find a demon that won't look at you with disgust.

Eventually ;}

I didn't move anywhere.

I am a Warlock. I deal with CHAOS. I'm not bound by the laws of the Universe. Why would I be bound by monogamy?
10/13/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Mortis
10/13/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Rorrand

Eventually ;}

I didn't move anywhere.

I am a Warlock. I deal with CHAOS. I'm not bound by the laws of the Universe. Why would I be bound by monogamy?

Touche.
10/13/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Mortis
Why would I be bound by monogamy?

Pretty sure those slu-... Succubi aren't, so why should you be?
The Pamela Redpath quest. I always wanted to keep slaying scourge after that.
That creepy girl in Drustvar with the dolls and the tea party made me stop and contemplate the fact that Agent J was right in Men in Black when he said the little girl was the most dangerous threat depicted in the shooting range.

/shiver
In the Siege of Ogrimmar raid, in the Valley of Strength, there is an Orc making two Human women fight each other. When you free them one of the women cries and says that they took her babies, please free her babies.

I looked. There are no Human children to be found. :(
The fire mage chick we have to kill in draenor who is mad she can't be an apprentice anymore.

10/13/2018 06:30 PMPosted by Tholin
In the Siege of Ogrimmar raid, in the Valley of Strength, there is an Orc making two Human women fight each other. When you free them one of the women cries and says that they took her babies, please free her babies.

I looked. There are no Human children to be found. :(

I ate them. They were delicious.
The quest Chain in Astanarr where you are helping to save the NPC's daughter life.

Gets me every time.
I still have Rhea's Last Egg.
10/13/2018 06:20 PMPosted by Lilywhite
The Pamela Redpath quest

10/13/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Smite
Rhea's Last Egg

These^^
Ezra Wheathoof. There's just something about hearing people who had recently died.

Also the children of goldshire.
Captain Emmy Malin in Dragonblight.
Sounds cheesy but the thing that got me most recently was simply running in to Yrel in Draenor, after having JUST done the Mag'har unlock in BfA, in which she's basically Naaru-brainwashed and has gone Full Legion (the authoritarian Light version, which seems worse in some ways).

Here's her sermon you loot off of Orellis, for Alliance folks that have not played through this. Read it all.

https://www.wowhead.com/item=162025/sermon-of-the-high-exarch

The context of that is the Army of the Light is force-converting Mag'har to the Light, and killing the ones that won't. And Yrel is the High Exarch.