Who's idea was it to remove Tier Sets?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
No idea

Maybe a dev said to an assistant "We will shed tears over this"..the assistant thought he meant "tiers" and.......
I don't even want to raid because the plate armor is so dang ugly.

Tier sets need to come back too.

I am seriously considering leaving to pursue my card collection on another game. Get it right, Blizz. Doing away with tier sets and implementing terrible art was a horrible mistake.
Pretty simple to understand. Once you got four tier sets, you were effectively “done”. You didn’t have to grind out gear anymore, you had pieces for all three specs.

With Azerite gear, you’re effectively never done grinding for gear. Your character is never completely finisued, you’re always on the treadmill. You’re more than likely trying to get good pieces for upwards of 20 slots.

You keep playing, your time played metric goes up. That’s absolutely all that matters. It’s not supposed to be fun for you, it’s not meant to be a player positive change.

This is also why they’re up gold costs on respecs, upping costs and lowering chances on weekly Seals, removing tier tokens, etc. It is so you have to play and play and play to get anywhere, regardless if it’s actually fun.

As a bonus, the art team only has to design four sets of gear.
10/17/2018 03:15 AMPosted by Bearpunch
Pretty simple to understand. Once you got four tier sets, you were effectively “done”. You didn’t have to grind out gear anymore, you had pieces for all three specs.

With Azerite gear, you’re effectively never done grinding for gear. Your character is never completely finisued, you’re always on the treadmill. You’re more than likely trying to get good pieces for upwards of 20 slots.

You keep playing, your time played metric goes up. That’s absolutely all that matters. It’s not supposed to be fun for you, it’s not meant to be a player positive change.

This is also why they’re up gold costs on respecs, upping costs and lowering chances on weekly Seals, removing tier tokens, etc. It is so you have to play and play and play to get anywhere, regardless if it’s actually fun.

Overall agree. But, on that last comment:

You think an art team designed the current gear?
It was the devs' idea.

The issue is that over the years, tier has been used as an excuse to not fix broken specs. So we have seen many times in the forums people complaining about how bad their specs feel, with the response that...

Your spec will be playable when you get your mythic 4pc.

Clearly it didn't happen that specs were balanced upon release of the expansion. So it was just a cost-saving measure?
10/16/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Malphastroth
Seriously who makes these decisions? Who initially comes up with this stuff and call the shots to make these changes come to live.

Tier sets are tradition, it's been around since the beginning, vanilla times, now why would you go on ahead and think that we don't need tier sets anymore? Like seriously you guys have just been remove this, remove that, remove it for half a decade now.

What's going on Blizz? Is the team confused or something? You guys tired of working? Maybe it's time to retire? Time to do something else? Maybe give up those positions to those who deserve it not the ones who want to it to prove a point?

Because after 14 years it's hard to come up with an original idea for class armor.

Which in itself is fine.

Problem? There's no armor to speak of anywhere and what we get in BfA is ugly.

What a dumb change by the devs, then. People stop playing when the game is not fun. We definitely stop playing when appearances are ugly. Shoulders are like 60% of this game!

You know what the problem really is? The devs lack empathy. It's like they continuously lack the ability to understand that players think differently than they do, and that they may react negatively to certain things. They seem to think time and again that just because they think something is a good idea, the rest of the playerbase must see it that way.

It's totally stunted social-emotional logic.
10/16/2018 12:48 PMPosted by Alisiaa
Forums I think

There were a lot of complaints about Tier Sets in Legion, honestly.

Not my fault. I didn't like tier sets, though.
Hopefully they'll at least bring xmog sets back to the game - similar to the sets they had in Pandaria for Challenge modes and certain raids...I'd be satisfied with that! Especially if they make them unobtainable in the future!
I'm gonna go with the same person who came up with the trainwreck of an idea that is azerite gear.
10/17/2018 03:22 AMPosted by Irondust

What a dumb change by the devs, then. People stop playing when the game is not fun. We definitely stop playing when appearances are ugly. Shoulders are like 60% of this game!

You know what the problem really is? The devs lack empathy. It's like they continuously lack the ability to understand that players think differently than they do, and that they may react negatively to certain things. They seem to think time and again that just because they think something is a good idea, the rest of the playerbase must see it that way.

It's totally stunted social-emotional logic.

There are no devs anymore, that's the problem. The lead game designer is a lawyer. The lead writer produces really bad fanfic of his self insert character.

The game is built on metrics, with the lowest caliber (read: cheapest) talent being shoveled in to do the few things that the people in suits are incapable of doing.
10/16/2018 12:42 PMPosted by Nayaga
10/16/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Malphastroth
Seriously who makes these decisions? Who initially comes up with this stuff and call the shots to make these changes come to live.
Blizzard has a team of developers devoted to finding fun in the game and removing it.

"Fun removal team" or FRT for short

I think the actual name is fun aspect removal team.
Making art is hard and artists are expensive and blah, blah, blah... So much cheaper--cough! cough! ahem!--simpler to have one design for everything.

Yeah well, I know what the CEO is making, and I know how much they're paying the shareholders. I know the stupid amount of money they're making off micro-transactions. Gear design has been lackluster since Wrath. If people wanted drab and sensible, then how come so many people are still running about in Vanilla and BC gear?
It's not about money. It's about time

Designing, rendering, testing, and repeating for all the class specific sets were the most massive time sinks in the development of each raid tier.

By shaving things down to four sets, they cut the amount of time it takes to put out more raid tiers.

'But wouldn't hiring more artists accomplish the same thing?'

No, that's the lesson they learned in WoD's development. Just throwing more people at a problem doesn't get it solved faster.
Honestly I don't even care about the set bonuses, I just want class themed mogs.

But like the rest of this expansion, laziness and apathy seem rule the day.
Leather armor makes no sense now, the boots and helms look like plate. In fact all the armor just looks bad now. And transmog is not the answer because bad armor means less mog choices not more.
Could have done some good pirate themed sets for rogues at least. We get the hat, but bandana or eye patches too would have been great. And peg leg and pirate coat or shirt.
10/16/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Malphastroth
10/16/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Nommi
tier sets suck.
Said no one ever.

10/16/2018 12:48 PMPosted by Alisiaa
Forums I think

There were a lot of complaints about Tier Sets in Legion, honestly.
And they think removing it would solve the problem? Well damn no one likes to die in this game maybe we should remove dying then.

They remove the fun things people complain about.

Flying makes me do quests faster! => removes flying

I don't like tier sets => removes tier sets

leveling is too fast => slows down leveling.

It's absurd how out of all the complaints and feedback, Blizzard implements those that makes WoW less enjoyable.
10/16/2018 07:58 PMPosted by Malphastroth
10/16/2018 02:44 PMPosted by Zaraela
The real new tier sets are in Warfronts. They have much better designs.
You are the first person I've seen who actually likes the Warfront items, to each their own I guess. I personally think most of them look really bad.

I like the warfronts weekly stuff too.
10/16/2018 12:45 PMPosted by Dertae
Im more bummed out that they removed unique class tmog tiers and grouped everything to one set per armour type

To me this was the real reason, just less work/time involved. That seems to be the mantra of BfA. Shadow Priests and Shamans? Not enough time? Balancing Azerite traits? Not enough time. Needs more iterating.