My first ever WoW experience and it's frustration.

General Discussion
Hello WoW!

I picked up this game just about two months ago, and I wanted to throw in my 2cents for what it was like doing 1-120 and what frustrated me the most.

The most frustrating thing was not being able to fly in Draenor and Legion.
I only found out that I wasn't able to fly in those zones because they were attached to an achievement from my friends that I made 1-70. There was no indication in the game anywhere saying that it would suddenly be taken away or showing me what I had to do for it to come back.

As mentioned, I made a small group of friends along the way. I was able to get flying for Classic and Outland. I even farmed the 4000g to have "fast flying" so that my trip to 120 would be faster. I was extremely annoyed to have that taken away from me once I hit Draenor. All my friends and their alts were zipping all over the place and ultimately out-levelled me. Leaving me alone mid game. I sucked it up and kept going. I ran around the zones and eventually made it to Legion then plugged away at that also. By the time I hit 120 all my new friends had already hit 120, completed all the raids on various difficulty levels etc.

Now that I'm 120 I assumed all that stuff was behind me, but it's not. Today I logged in to see the Hallow's End event, and I found myself returning to Draenor for it. Once again, annoyed that everyone else is flying around and I'm stuck on the ground. What's even more frustrating is the locations I needed to go to I didn't have the flight paths for because I simply didn't have to go near those areas when levelling. So the flight paths were never initially attained. Today I've spent a good chunk of time travelling on the ground to get more flight paths that I will barely ever use again. Once I get to the areas for the quests, everyone is on brooms flying around fast and one shotting everything I need to kill. So many times I'd target an NPC I need and start to head towards it on my ground mount only to have someone drop from the sky and destroy it before I even get near it.

It sucks!!!!! It's not fun to have something taken away from you. As a new player, it was extremely frustrating having to figure out why it was suddenly gone. I honestly don't know what else to say here. I feel like I'm just rambling and probably won't get heard but I wasn't sure about where I could give feedback.

There weren't any other glaring "issues" when I was levelling. I had a blast; overall it was awesome. It took me roughly five weeks to complete 1-120. Some NPC's would utterly destroy me and the more vetted players would one-shot them, but I learned to use cooldowns and stuff to take out those stronger NPC's. It was fun!

Anyhoot, back to doing time walking so I can get my ilvl up for heroics and raid finder!

Thanks,
CJ
10/19/2018 09:49 PMPosted by Ceejays
Hello WoW

OMG HI!!!!!

There were some people back in TBC and WOTLK who were not able to fly for months becuase they could not afford it. No wow tokens back then and sometimes you could barely afford your repair bill.

Anyhoot, back to doing time walking

I had to walk for 70 levels once. And before that, it was 60. I could not afford the flying back then in TBC.
It sucks!!!!! It's not fun to have something taken away from you. As a new player, it was extremely frustrating having to figure out why it was suddenly gone. I honestly don't know what else to say here. I feel like I'm just rambling and probably won't get heard but I wasn't sure about where I could give feedback.

Never before has the entirety of the forums and the new player experience been summed up as succinctly as you have in a single paragraph.

Because you're right. It does suck losing things. It sucks losing spells, talents, entire talent trees, getting massively stat squished because big numbers are somehow too scary for people. For a game predicated on the player's growth and journey across azeroth it's shockingly full of back peddling of player power and agency.

Sadly, there's nothing much to say otherwise. Everyone finds their own meaningful experiences and reasons for playing. Some weird people just troll the forums for years because they yearn for a feeling of childhood nostalgia (that they will never get back, btw) and simply refuse to admit it for fear of sounding emotional, since, that's a crime on the internet.

Whatever reason you find in WoW, I hope that it makes the experience worthwhile for you.
I both agree and disagree with you, which is confusing but hell, life often is.

I agree that Pathfinder is frustrating. It was introduced in Warlords without any real excuse, shortly after their original intention to entirely remove flight was reversed. A lot of people felt it was a punishment, a way of saying "Well, you wanted flight, we let you have it, but not without doing a lot of hoop-jumping". And then they seemed to like it so much, they kept going with it.

All I can say is, I don't recall anyone saying "Wow, I love grinding unnecessary stuff, let's do Pathfinder to fly, we need more of it" when it was announced. Nowadays people who have it sometimes look back and ptooey on people not liking it, as if its some sort of Badge of Whatever because they have it and you don't. I will always consider it a timegating waste of gaming resources that would have been better spent on making the game more - and not less - fun.

On the other hand, you shouldn't consider a lack of flight as the only reason to not be happy with the game. WoW is huge and diverse and fascinating, it has so many other things to do. In the past we didn't have account-wide flight, we didn't even have flight in major areas of the game prior to Catacalysm. And there are still zones where you cannot fly at all. You cope with those if you want to enjoy the rest of what WoW has to offer.
Sorry to hear that friend. I can't help you with your woes, but I can offer to bring you through normal mode tomorrow: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20761038050

If you're available at 1 pm EST, I'm happy to take you along.
I guess your disappointment comes from your expectations being met.

If your expectation was to get to 120 as quickly as possible and skip all that annoying gameplay on the way, then yes, anything that slows your down would be irritating.

If your expectation was to actually explore the game world, experience the content, live the stories and questlines, then this wouldn't be a big issue. The lack of flying would allow you the time to really experience this content on an intimate level.
Imagine how much it sucked for those that had collected mounts both in game and through the real money store, to have it taken away :(
There were some people back in TBC and WOTLK who were not able to fly for months becuase they could not afford it

That's just nonsense. Basic flying was easily affordable even in BC from what you got while you leveled. Not flying for months was simply a choice.
10/19/2018 10:27 PMPosted by Crowlay

If your expectation was to get to 120 as quickly as possible and skip all that annoying gameplay on the way, then yes, anything that slows your down would be irritating.

If your expectation was to actually explore the game world, experience the content, live the stories and questlines, then this wouldn't be a big issue. The lack of flying would allow you the time to really experience this content on an intimate level.
Oh come on, I blasted to level cap too when I started. And getting flying unlocked just to have it ripped away again 10 levels later sucked. I think one of my first posts on this forum was to complain about Pathfinder. I don’t mind it now (because I have all of them now) but I remember when and why I hated it.
It sucks playing catch-up.
10/19/2018 10:30 PMPosted by Ravenskar
That's just nonsense. Basic flying was easily affordable even in BC from what you got while you leveled. Not flying for months was simply a choice.

Not if you were completely awful at the game, like I was. I didn't get flying until my co-gm bought it for me when I told them I couldn't heal any dungeons in Netherstorm because I couldn't reach them! I was also completely ignorant of the fact that you can just be summoned up by a warlock, which we had, but that's besides the point.

Until that point in time I had never managed to get more than 100g, not once. I had basic riding only because it was spoon fed to paladins just for being paladins.

I did, however, get epic flight speed by the end of TBC. Immediately after being gifted basic flying I spent weeks, literally hundreds upon hundreds of hours gathering herbs (being a teenager had its perks). I refused to stay in debt to a fellow guild member and I never was again.

In a weird way, that might be why BFA strikes an emotional chord with me despite all of its flaws. It's an expansion clearly defined by diligence, doing tasks over and over again to gain power over time. It teaches through the difficulty of its dungeons and raids (considerably more than Legion and WoD at least). And it's an expansion where there are numerous paths to power, a quick look at my armory reveals a combination of profession gear, Mythic+ caches, pvp arena rewards, and raiding gear, a strong echo to the kind of player I was when I fell in love with the game back in TBC.
Oh look, another pathfinder thread. They dont gaf. Gotta maintain that "Immersion" /rollseyes..
10/19/2018 10:39 PMPosted by Zeropointt
10/19/2018 10:27 PMPosted by Crowlay

Oh come on, I blasted to level cap too when I started. And getting flying unlocked just to have it ripped away again 10 levels later sucked. I think one of my first posts on this forum was to complain about Pathfinder. I don’t mind it now (because I have all of them now) but I remember when and why I hated it.
So you are basically parroting OP's statement? Then I would offer the same comments to you. What was your expectation when you started? Was it to "blast to level cap" as quickly and easily as possible? Or was it to take the time to play the game, explore the content, experience the stories? If it was the former than I understand your frustration. But I would hope that new players would not normally see everything from level 1-119 as an annoying impediment to the actual game. Because there is a lot of great gameplay there. It's just a shame to fly past it all.
10/19/2018 10:58 PMPosted by Crowlay
<span class="truncated">...</span>Oh come on, I blasted to level cap too when I started. And getting flying unlocked just to have it ripped away again 10 levels later sucked. I think one of my first posts on this forum was to complain about Pathfinder. I don’t mind it now (because I have all of them now) but I remember when and why I hated it.
So you are basically parroting OP's statement? Then I would offer the same comments to you. What was your expectation when you started? Was it to "blast to level cap" as quickly and easily as possible? Or was it to take the time to play the game, explore the content, experience the stories? If it was the former than I understand your frustration. But I would hope that new players would not normally see everything from level 1-119 as an annoying impediment to the actual game. Because there is a lot of great gameplay there. It's just a shame to fly past it all.
I’m going back and smelling the roses now, actually. Finishing up Loremaster and going after those Pandaria reps I blasted past when I started in 2016. It’s easy as a player who saw it all when it was current to forget that a lot of the “endgame” you remember has been gutted out by Blizzard in the march forward. Blizzard themselves always put the focus on the new and shiny, so it should be no surprise that new players (of which I still consider myself) focus on getting to max level. I think everyone is focused on getting to max when they’re playing their first toon, whether it was in Vanilla or BfA.
I'm the weirdo that likes to walk/run everywhere.
She's going to do a superhero landing, wait for it....

Awwwww. Ruined it but who really didn't see that coming?
I still try to do an epic take off in Boralus harbour then realise im still stuck to the ground.
if your friends had a 2 seater mount they could have taken you flying with them instead of leaving you behind. Sounds like you might want to question these friendships...
Hello WoW!

I picked up this game just about two months ago, and I wanted to throw in my 2cents for what it was like doing 1-120 and what frustrated me the most.

I only found out that I wasn't able to fly in those zones because they were attached to an achievement from my friends that I made 1-70. There was no indication in the game anywhere saying that it would suddenly be taken away or showing me what I had to do for it to come back.

As mentioned, I made a small group of friends along the way. I was able to get flying for Classic and Outland. I even farmed the 4000g to have "fast flying" so that my trip to 120 would be faster. I was extremely annoyed to have that taken away from me once I hit Draenor. All my friends and their alts were zipping all over the place and ultimately out-levelled me. Leaving me alone mid game. I sucked it up and kept going. I ran around the zones and eventually made it to Legion then plugged away at that also. By the time I hit 120 all my new friends had already hit 120, completed all the raids on various difficulty levels etc.

Now that I'm 120 I assumed all that stuff was behind me, but it's not. Today I logged in to see the Hallow's End event, and I found myself returning to Draenor for it. Once again, annoyed that everyone else is flying around and I'm stuck on the ground. What's even more frustrating is the locations I needed to go to I didn't have the flight paths for because I simply didn't have to go near those areas when levelling. So the flight paths were never initially attained. Today I've spent a good chunk of time travelling on the ground to get more flight paths that I will barely ever use again. Once I get to the areas for the quests, everyone is on brooms flying around fast and one shotting everything I need to kill. So many times I'd target an NPC I need and start to head towards it on my ground mount only to have someone drop from the sky and destroy it before I even get near it.

There weren't any other glaring "issues" when I was levelling. I had a blast; overall it was awesome. It took me roughly five weeks to complete 1-120. Some NPC's would utterly destroy me and the more vetted players would one-shot them, but I learned to use cooldowns and stuff to take out those stronger NPC's. It was fun!

Anyhoot, back to doing time walking so I can get my ilvl up for heroics and raid finder!

Thanks,
CJ

So you are complaining because you actually have to play the game and because you don’t have the same perks as older players? I mean, really?

It took you five weeks as a brand new player never experiencing the game before to go from 1-120. I mean, is that really a bad thing? When I started playing it took months on average to get from 1-60, but now a few weeks to get 120 levels is like the end of the world here.

If you want to fly so bad like all your friends you made along the way that was zipping around outleveling you, do the content, play the game and earn the achievement like they did. I do not get the mentality of people who come to a game fresh expecting to have all the benefits of players who have played much longer. Those veteran players earned their flying, allied races, etc. You can too.
I picked up this game just about two months ago

Oof.

Talk about awful timing.
It sucks!!!!! It's not fun to have something taken away from you.

I am sorry you feel this way but nothing was taken away from you. You simply have met the criteria to earn flying in those expansion yet. It is a huge fallacy that flying is somhow removed from players when in fact it has not. You are still able to fly in every area you paid to. The game just now asks you to do the content before giving you the special reward of skipping almost all the content for all future heroes!