Virtual Ticket and demo playtime restrictions

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
10/22/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Thermiss
10/22/2018 11:39 AMPosted by Charbs
The demo was a free addition to the ticket, none of what you paid was for the demo.

Just going to focus in on this. You are being willfully ignorant if you honestly HONESTLY believe (and I do not mean believe so that you could get meow meow beanz towards becoming an MVP) that the VTs were not a blatant cash grab with the inclusion of the demo. Seriously, who do you believe thinks otherwise beyond the most fanbois of fanbois who would white knight blizzard if they were to do the most dirty of dirty things with their naughty bits.

There is no doubt that when faced with the backlash for the time limit, blizzard will attempt the same justification that you are. Fact is, at the end of the day it was a cash grab that got even more absurd with the release of this information.

A cash grab? You mean a whole, big, huge, $10 cash grab? The EXACT SAME VIRTUAL TICKET was $40 last year without a Classic demo. So you're paying $10 for a demo and $40 for the VIRTUAL TICKET, not $50 for a demo people.
10/22/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Manaless
There is no doubt that when faced with the backlash for the time limit, blizzard will attempt the same justification that you are. Fact is, at the end of the day it was a cash grab that got even more absurd with the release of this information.

posts like this really serve no purpose. time limits on convention demos are common place and when you're adding in remote traffic in addition to what you already have on site I don't know how they have the set up exactly but I could imagine the traffic is going to be rather high, not to mention they are just simply being fair to everyone by applying the same rules.

Give it a rest. They could have stated up front that the demo would be limited like this a couple weeks ago when the VTs went up for sale. How many people do you believe would NOT have made the purchase had they knew then what they know now?

I would never open my wallet for a VT, with or without a demo. I did not for this one, and have no skin in the game. However white knights coming out of the woodwork to defend this garbage is sickening.
10/22/2018 09:36 AMPosted by Vou
How do you feel about this? What do you think the implications are?

To me, this implies that there will potentially only be one server and long queues.

I suspect there may be more than one server, but there's a good chance the total population trying to log in will exceed those. Rather than waiting in a queue HOPING someone disconnects or logs out, having a time-limit will make sure each person gets a relatively fair first go at it. (I do hope the time-limit is at least 30 minutes. It would be a bit of a nuisance to get logged out two minutes after getting into the game because we spent too much time in the character creation screen.)

They didn't really give enough details to know if you can get back into the end of the line (the queue) immediately once your time limit is up. They did say it would be "initially" which, at least to me, sounds like they expect the demand to spread out more after the show while the demo remains up.
10/22/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Hightimes

Just going to focus in on this. You are being willfully ignorant if you honestly HONESTLY believe (and I do not mean believe so that you could get meow meow beanz towards becoming an MVP) that the VTs were not a blatant cash grab with the inclusion of the demo. Seriously, who do you believe thinks otherwise beyond the most fanbois of fanbois who would white knight blizzard if they were to do the most dirty of dirty things with their naughty bits.

A cash grab? You mean a whole, big, huge, $10 cash grab? The EXACT SAME VIRTUAL TICKET was $40 last year without a Classic demo. So you're paying $10 for a demo and $40 for the VIRTUAL TICKET, not $50 for a demo people.

The ONLY thing you could not get for free immediately following the con beyond a couple in-game worthless pixels was the demo. Pretending that a not remotely small number of people didn't purchase VTs solely for said demo is dishonest as hell.
10/22/2018 09:49 AMPosted by Lyianora
Did anyone really expect to get to 60 in the demo? They said “try a few talent points” which implied that there were going to be restrictions. Plus we knew of some restrictions.

No one expecting to get to 60.

What people didn't expect was to have a limit on playtime. Especially since you need to pay to even access the demo.
Well in all honesty they should have. I fully expected such limitations. I got the same information everyone else did.
Suddenly I feel alot better about not buying the ticket for the demo, especially since I'm only interested in classic !@#$.
10/22/2018 11:39 AMPosted by Charbs
The demo was a free addition to the ticket, none of what you paid was for the demo.

It doesn't matter what we think. If you bought the VT for the sole purpose of the demo (which I would have done as well if I wasn't away that week) then your complaining that the conditions of a technically "free addition" have changed before the conference. I'm not siding with blizzard here, it sucks, but I can at least look at it from different possible perspectives. Unrestricted access would cause server issues, free access to the demo would render the demo unplayable, or extremely long que times. The option was to give it to people who bought the ticket and (in my own speculation) the demand proved to be more than anticipated necessitating the need for restrictions.

You can complain that big old bad blizzard just wanted to take your money and flip you off but I really can't see any business doing that intentionally, not even those scumbags at EA.
10/22/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Thermiss
10/22/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Manaless

posts like this really serve no purpose. time limits on convention demos are common place and when you're adding in remote traffic in addition to what you already have on site I don't know how they have the set up exactly but I could imagine the traffic is going to be rather high, not to mention they are just simply being fair to everyone by applying the same rules.

Give it a rest. They could have stated up front that the demo would be limited like this a couple weeks ago when the VTs went up for sale. How many people do you believe would NOT have made the purchase had they knew then what they know now?

I would never open my wallet for a VT, with or without a demo. I did not for this one, and have no skin in the game. However white knights coming out of the woodwork to defend this garbage is sickening.

Garbage?
I take it you have never attended a convention before nor have the slightest knowledge on network infrastructure and cloud management. and does it honestly matter if its limited or not its a tech demo, not even an alpha client of two zones, they are giving people the same access that someone say in Europe wouldn't be able to sit and get to 19 while Blizzcon attendees have to wait with a time limit theres this wonderful thing called fair access.

Give it a rest, They arent obligated to explain to people how a tech demo works people already know how it works its time limited and if they want to play again they get back in line, they are under no obligation to even treat people with the virtual ticket to the same demo.
10/22/2018 10:32 AMPosted by Thermiss
10/22/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Dealloc
You can't expect them to invest in a large server infrastructure to support a two week demo.

What are they going to be using for server infrastructure of classic? Potatoes?

this is a friggen demo. one thats going to be up for like 2 weeks tops. did you expect them to load it into lots of servers?
Did anyone really expect to get to 60 in the demo? They said “try a few talent points” which implied that there were going to be restrictions. Plus we knew of some restrictions.

What people didn't expect was to have a limit on playtime. Especially since you need to pay to even access the demo.

its only initially. because you know, something like a couple hundred thousand people are probably going to be trying it out? so they limit your time playing so that others get a chance to experience it. sheesh.
10/22/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Matcauthon
10/22/2018 10:32 AMPosted by Thermiss

What are they going to be using for server infrastructure of classic? Potatoes?

this is a friggen demo. one thats going to be up for like 2 weeks tops. did you expect them to load it into lots of servers?

The entitlement is built so deep in them that they can't think logically anymore.
VT people will be on the same servers as attendees.
Why wouldn't they limit time ?

Did you think you were getting your own dedicated servers ?

A VT is the same as a regular ticket..same rules, same gameplay, same limits.
Are refunds possible?
10/22/2018 01:15 PMPosted by Trollbanker
Are refunds possible?

They sure are which is why I don't understand the backlash. What you would have to be worried for is if they announced this at a point where it was impossible for you to get your money back. But they did you a solid and let you know beforehand.
all you people asking for refunds are hilarious. its not limited all week long.
its just limited during the first day or two so everyone gets a chance to experience it.

after that you can play 6 straight hours of 15-19 for all anyone cares.
10/22/2018 01:18 PMPosted by Matcauthon
its just limited during the first day or two so everyone gets a chance to experience it.

They just don't understand this, like I said they are just losing their minds and not thinking logically because they are being told they can't no life it out of the gate. A demo for christ sake

Show me where Blizz said that. I will wait.
10/22/2018 01:23 PMPosted by Bigoldpecs

We also typically limit the time our BlizzCon attendees can play a demo, and that will be the case for BlizzCon WoW Classic Demo players at home. In order to maximize the number of people who can try out the demo, initially you’ll be logged off after playing for a certain amount of time to give somebody else a turn. We haven’t determined exactly how long this time limit will be yet, but we’re also planning some flexibility, so if we’re able to relax the restriction and still give everyone who wants to play a great experience, then we’ll do that.
10/22/2018 01:23 PMPosted by Bigoldpecs

[quote] We also typically limit the time our BlizzCon attendees can play a demo, and that will be the case for BlizzCon WoW Classic Demo players at home. In order to maximize the number of people who can try out the demo, initially you’ll be logged off after playing for a certain amount of time to give somebody else a turn. We haven’t determined exactly how long this time limit will be yet, but we’re also planning some flexibility, so if we’re able to relax the restriction and still give everyone who wants to play a great experience, then we’ll do that.

I want you to notice the words some and if. They never once said they are removing it completely.