Am I the only one that likes the ability prunning?

General Discussion
I would rather have 20 spells and cherry pick which ones to use for flavor than what we have now. Spell pruning is immersion breaking, anti-MMORPG, boring and is just busy work for Developers to keep buddies employed. Been in the workforce for a little over 30 years...seen it a million times. Classes get tore up just so some people have something to do....at the expense of the game.

Replace warehouse with shammies. "what r u planning for today?" "Well I think we r going to pull everything out of the warehouse and then redo it." "Why". "We r slow right now and it gives us a chance to clean up the warehouse." "But aren't we using the warehouse now and isn't is working well, cleaned up and productive?" "Yeah, but this gives us a chance to really clean up the warehouse...fine tune it." "But people are using the warehouse now and they are happy with it." "I get it but it really needs to be fully cleaned up and Bob has nothing going to so I am going to have him just restructure the warehouse completely....shift some things around, maybe toss out some things." "Er...but no one is complaining about the warehouse and where stuff is!" "Yeah, but Bob needs something to do anyway and the warehouse could always use a good working over."
Simple isn't always bad (KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid). They just did too many other things that made simple boring. Scaled content, and GCD changes just made it feel boring.
10/22/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Wigglebutt
Been playing since vanilla

No you haven't.
i'm middle of the road. i think there were some good spells that got pruned for no real reason, but i also don't think every class needs 50 unique buttons and a rotation that requires 4.
Near the end of pruning (before the release) a dev said that "every one of the 36 subclasses has 22 to 24 active abilities, plus many passive abilities".

22-24 is very different from the hundreds of players who complained DURING the pruning that it was giving us "2 to 3 abilities per class".

Am I calling the hundreds of complainers liers? Exaggerators? Full of baloney? No. Well...maybe...possibly...

Note that even after pruning there were a few complainers: dps raiders who said that their boss rotation was now "only 2 or 3 buttons". In other words, in a simple situation where they were getting NO damage, needed NO strategy, and were just there pouring out DPS, it was simple. They wanted it to be more complicated!
Pruning can be both good and bad. Really depends on how it's done.

I believe it was Legion when Blizz was originally going to remove ressurection spells from non-healing specs. That's way overboard and unnecessary. And you can't use the excuse 'it takes up room' because I don't need that spell on my active bars (unless your party is just the worst).

Pruning also means that you lose some cool RPG elements. I remember in Blackrock there were these Magma Golems that were SUPER weak against ice. Like, one frost bolt destroyed them. They could easily be killed without frost, but there was this extra bit of joy knowing you possessed an ability to really help out in an encounter. However, with pruning you can't do much of these types of things. Back then, EVERY mage had frostbolt. Now only one spec does.

However, it IS a good things when abilities become useless, obsolete or redundant. Which means I don't need mutilate on all 3 specs because I wouldn't use it for Outlaw. So go ahead and prune that. I think people get really upset when really cool abilities get taken away or when powerful cooldowns are removed and replaced with lackluster ones.
Pruning was bad because they removed a lot of counterplay in pvp. Every ability had a use in pvp.

In pve it made sense to prune. How often will a rogue shiv off an enrage in pve?

They did over simplify the game though and remove a lot of player choice - even if it was an illision.

I've met very few moderate and high level players who would say today's classes have a better class fantasy and playstyle over MoP. MoP classes were more fun to a majority of players who were veterans before MoP.

The majority I've met who like the prune were new to WoW in MoP or played in low level content before and during MoP and like that the player skill gap was lessened.
Pruning is fine. Pruning to the point every class loses its individual "flavor" and every one plays more or less the same, is not. Pretty much, every single class has lost most of what made it distinctive and different. Classes used to bring varied capabilities and buffs to the fight, had radically different play styles. Today, not so much. Ditto for losing racials for the most part...dang it, I liked Treasure Finding on my dwarves back when it meant something. Crafting "pruned" to the point of uselessness. It's all generic, bland, and uninteresting.

They've "pruned" the entire game till it's almost unrecognizable, removing individuality, choice, and are insistent on stovepiping us all into their "vision" and "master plan" of how the game should be played. Being able to "do your own thing" and make your own fun was a major part of what made WoW great. But the more depth and detail they remove, the more choice they remove, the fewer gameplay or style options we have. Is there much point to being a farmer/crafter now? Not really. Crafting has been neutered to the point of uselessness. Gather, to earn gold, to buy what? Game time so you can farm more? Become an AH Robber Baron? Selling what? Collect pets and mounts? After a few hundred mounts, and hundreds of pet, that sorta loses it appeal...
I hate pruning. Haaaaaaaate it.
There are elements of pruning I like, and parts I dislike.

I feel like the current system encourages a sort of cookie-cutter approach like you're statting out a character in a MOBA rather than building a character in an RPG. It's too simplistic and results in too little choice.

On the other hand, it does keep you from making costly errors during a build that force you to spend a lot of time and/or in-game currency to fix them. During Wrath, I lost track of how many people I played with who didn't realize that a given trait on the talent trees was effectively required, such as the 2-point talent for retribution paladins that was singlehandedly responsible for most of their mana regeneration during combat.
I too appreciated not having to clog my UI with hyper situational abilities.
For example: I dont miss nourish or healing touch, druids are all bout hots, and regrowth is good enough to cover the emergency heals. Prunning, in this case, helped devs focus on class fantasy as opposed to just giving every class every ability.

using your example, it feels bad to overwrite the HoT portion of a Regrwoth (wasting heals) because you need to spam heal someone. It's a waste of healing and, by extenstion, mana.

and there are a number of things that, upon losing skills, now 'feel bad.' Throughout the game, druid has always been my favorite class, and a huge part of it was because of the 'save-the-day' potential they've had in the past.

in Vanilla, I saved a ZF stairs event because i was able to go bear form and taunt-kite a mob after the tank was killed.

In BC, i was able to save the attempt on our second Magtheridon kill by going bear after the main tank was killed, and i survived long enough for our tank to overtake me in threat.

in Wrath, I was Boomkin Heals for our first Sarth 3d kill, and out 2 min "gotta go!" achieve.

I really cant speak too much for other classes, but the more they pruned and pushed druids into 'you are ONLY good at your spec,' the less i felt like i was someone that could really make a difference if things started to go sideways.

Druids used to be the class with the most depth, and that may or may not still be true, but being the deepest kiddie pool still won't let you swim.
Some people just won’t be satisfied until the whole of WoW’s playerbase is dual wielding razer nagas and executing movements using an intricate series of Siri voice commands.

Button bloat isn’t depth, it’s a convoluted mess.

If you want new abilities, sometimes old ones need to go. It’s the circle of life. The wheel of fortune, if you will.
TBH every healing class I play is better from pruning. I never had monk's Effuse or rdruid's Healing Touch on my bars anyway. The only one that suffered was resto shammy, because Ancestral Guidance was amazing.
I sort of miss when mages could use all three schools of magic regardless of what your chosen spec was. I felt like mages had a lot more utility in those days.
10/22/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Ayaan
I sort of miss when mages could use all three schools of magic regardless of what your chosen spec was. I felt like mages had a lot more utility in those days.
Heck, I miss when all three specs of Death Knight could tank. But I understand why it's not that way anymore, and I doubt those days are ever coming back.

The ability to make bad decisions and the option of a more diverse spellbook is precisely what I miss with the old class design.
Ability pruning, like removing flight, is another brilliant idea the devs had to make their jobs easier.

To get us to swallow it, they fed it to us with the idea that if their jobs are easier we'll get more and better content.

Instead they made their jobs easier and still gave us less.
Been playing since vanilla, and I think classes right now are at a fairly decent state (except MM, Shadow and Ele man do they need help), many other specs I feel are at their peak, I love current druid (except guardian) and beast master more than in any othe xpack.

Why do people complain about prunning? A lot of whats been removed was borderline clutter.

For example: I dont miss nourish or healing touch, druids are all bout hots, and regrowth is good enough to cover the emergency heals. Prunning, in this case, helped devs focus on class fantasy as opposed to just giving every class every ability.

The number of abilities we currently have are perfect for general keyboard enthusiasts. Balance-wise, there shouldnt be a need to have more than 1 spell-interrupt, or more than 1 or two ''oh !@#$" buttons, otherwise PVP would be a disaster.
well vanilla had more stuff than we do now which is sad.
10/22/2018 11:50 AMPosted by Espur

The ability to make bad decisions and the option of a more diverse spellbook is precisely what I miss with the old class design.

You can still make bad decisions like not choosing the meta talent choices or playing an inferior spec. If anything, it's easier to make bad decisions now because you could get close to the cookie cutter builds in Wrath just by knowing the basics of your class and having common sense. I do miss a more diverse spellbook for sure.